Modern Primitive/PAW25 Discussion!

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
silverbeetle

Re: Modern Primitive/PAW25 Discussion!

#16 Post by silverbeetle » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:55 pm

Prezidentman wrote:Wasn't there supposed to be a DVD of some sort along with the 2 cd's as well?
Yes... there was supposed to be a DVD but it got cancelled early on in the process. I spoke to Greg Wurth yesterday about it and he said it was unfortunately a decision that was beyond their control.

Hopefully we'll get to see it one day in some other package... did you see the footage in the Modern Primitive promo video :O

Awesome awesome archive footage... and the new making of footage is just as good.
Vai and co, please... don't forget this footage and sneak it in somewhere down the track for us!

Zongadude

#17 Post by Zongadude » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:47 pm

Jeroen wrote: will post all details as soon as I have them.

J
Do you know if a vinyl edition of "Modern Primitive" has been considered ?
It would obviously be a double album, with "Pink And Blows Over" occupying the whole Side Four !
Wouldn't that be great ? :)

Prezidentman

#18 Post by Prezidentman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:21 am

silverbeetle wrote:
Prezidentman wrote:Wasn't there supposed to be a DVD of some sort along with the 2 cd's as well?
Yes... there was supposed to be a DVD but it got cancelled early on in the process. I spoke to Greg Wurth yesterday about it and he said it was unfortunately a decision that was beyond their control.

Hopefully we'll get to see it one day in some other package... did you see the footage in the Modern Primitive promo video :O

Awesome awesome archive footage... and the new making of footage is just as good.
Vai and co, please... don't forget this footage and sneak it in somewhere down the track for us!
Thanks for the info. That's too bad, I would kill to see footage from the P&W recording sessions and whatnot. My guess is there wasn't enough time to complete the dvd. The little Modern Primitive promo teaser only makes me want to see more. Oh well, hopefully it will see the light of day at some point.

Jenn Pix

#19 Post by Jenn Pix » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Pif wrote:Jenn : I received my copy yesterday, but it's been available on streaming services since the release date and I completely abused that option (If I'm correct the free access to Deezer will let you listen but will insert ads in between songs). You also have a handful on tracks officially on YouTube.
Ah. See, I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to computer stuff, so I had no clue on the streaming thing. :oops:
I had heard the stuff on YouTube, but that's like an appetizer, and I'm ready for the full meal! :mrgreen:

It has arrived, now, and I'll pop them in tonight when I can listen undisturbed. Vai is something I like to really dive ears-first into, and let it just take over... 8)

Jenn Pix

#20 Post by Jenn Pix » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:34 pm

Have yet to dig into MP, but I am really loving PaW.!. It feels somehow... richer. More cozy, in a way. Like... I can wrap myself up in a blanket of this.
I had done so with the (several copies!) original release, but there's something about this that feels like... better than the first time. All new, yet familiar, yet some new something that just takes it to a whole new place. And it's taking me right along with...

And the bonus stuff...
Lovely Elixir Is just something too beautiful for words. Could easily become my favourite track...
But ooh, the sweetness of And We Are One Ahh, now how good is this.?. One to fall in love with.
As Above Ugh! Yes! A marching feel, then swell the chest and just makes me smile...
So Below just swirling around and through, lifting sweet and bright. Feels like birds, somewhat. I like that.

You did it again, Steve. You took my breath away and that's with the stuff I already know!
Can't wait to get into MP, next...

Zongadude

#21 Post by Zongadude » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:19 am

Yesterday's show in Luxemburg was amazing :)
I will talk about it in the dedicated topic on the 'review' session.

I just wanna add that today, after three listen to "Modern Primitive" during the past days, I know enjoy immensely this new album. It really is cranked up with VAI DNA, and it really stands out as an "album", and not only as collection of archival material.
If you like Steve's music, you have to buy this record. It as is important as any other output he put out in the past, be it solo stuff or with band Alcatrazz, DLR, etc.... An important asset to the Steve Vai canon of work. :)

Please spread the word there is a new Vai album out, and a very good one too !

Jenn Pix

#22 Post by Jenn Pix » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:24 am

OMG I can't even begin.!.
Mind is still gleefully twirling all of MP 'round and 'round...
Untangling my brain is gonna take some time!

I just know I'm loving this
So
F**king
MUCH!

*time to listen again..* 8) :headbang :mrgreen:

Jenn Pix

#23 Post by Jenn Pix » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:10 am

... I am falling hard for the full And We Are One on MP...
Sooooooooooo lovely. Image

Also hitting replay a ton on The Lost Chord and Never Forever

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#24 Post by Jeroen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:57 am

made this thread sticky for a while.

Steve is very interested in reading all your reviews, so keep 'm coming!

J

Jenn Pix

#25 Post by Jenn Pix » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:47 am

Adorable, the "groggles" in Bop (and in Pink And Blows Over) :lol:

Also, Dark Matter... those melty/bendy things that sound kind of like they're getting stretched/pulled down... (how the f*** can I describe it? Musical melting taffy? LOL) I LOVE the heavy feeling, there!

Mighty Messengers is freakin' awesome, and I love it... but then The Lost Chord happens, and I'm just ... I'm freakin' *done*, man. Just...full on chills all over. Love it. Replaying the heck outta that one. Devin's vocals are amazing...

Still "digesting" some of the rest...
Love it all. Finding some early favourites.
discovering that Pink And Blows Over, while really cool and interesting... it should not be the last thing you listen to before bed! LOL, odd dreams with bits of that as soundtrack! :shock: :lol: :?
Honestly love it all, though.

Jenn Pix

#26 Post by Jenn Pix » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:53 am

Jeroen wrote:made this thread sticky for a while.

Steve is very interested in reading all your reviews, so keep 'm coming!

J
You gonna post a review? 8)

dc27

#27 Post by dc27 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:11 am

Well I never really thought this thread would get such a great response! :lol:
After much more time with the record I've decided to give it another review! So here goes...

MODERN PRIMITIVE
1 - Bop! : I still really like this track. Although I understand it was written around an effect, I'd still like to have heard the parts as true electrics instead.

2 - Dark Matter : I really love the syncopation/groupings of this track, and I like the Hendrix-y vibe of the whole thing. Gotta love the 7#9s! It's a nice change from the 'normal' Vai sound to me, both in terms of writing and production.

3 - Mighty Messengers : Nice hyperactive little track. I've been singing this one quite a bit! The texture and tonal textures give this one quite a really nice production quality. I love the contrast between the out of phase Strat and those wonderfully heavy chords in the interlude and ending, as well as Vai's voice doubled in octaves with a female voice. Wonderfully produced track.

4 - The Lost Chord : I still maintain this is my favourite track on the record - maybe even one of my favourites end of. I love the segue from Mighty Messengers, it doesn't feel at all forced or 'easy'. It's a very natural transition. This track has been played so much and I'm nowhere near sick of it! Devin really makes this track. Others might say his tracks are buried a bit in the mix with all the reverb - especially in the higher registers - but I think it complements the main melody quite nicely and gives quite a ghostly feel. Whilst I don't mind the B section, I think I'd have preferred more of a traditional section.
The last chorus is one of my all time favourite Vai moments. Such a rich timbre in all parts, wonderfully produced. It doesn't sound like a track from a Steve Vai record to me, but its almost exactly the direction I've wanted Vai and Devin to go in for a while now. Others may disagree, but I much prefer the Real Illusions sonic aesthetic to any other records. (And I'm dying for the next one, I don't care for a technical record that's been mentioned in interviews all that much)

5 - Upanishads : For a song with only two chords (well, not literally, but you know what I mean), I quite like it. It doesn't feel boring, and I love the sound of the MusicMan. It's a subtle, but nice timbre change to the Coral used on most other things. I've quite enjoyed working this one out and transcribing it.

6 - Fast Note People : I still think the compression was hit a bit too hard at 2:00, but I really like the instrumentation. It's like Flex-Able, but grown up and more mature.

7 - And We Are One : I still really like this one. It feels very spacious, yet never sparse, and the solo never feels overplayed. I've really enjoyed playing/transcribing this one too, lovely bar work.

8 - Never Forever : There goes Mr. Lydian... :lol:
But seriously, I like the Ultra Zone vibe this one has to it. This'd make a great Naked Track.

9 - Lights Are On : This one is REALLY fun to play with, and gave me some nice ideas of my own to expand upon. I like the audio montage aesthetic mixed with the traditional instrumental guitar style.

10 - No Pockets : This is another I've been singing in my head a lot too. If this was 1985 I'm sure it'd be all over the radio! I could actually hear DLR singing this.

11 - 13 - Pink And Blows Over : I still really like this one. It'd be nice with some brass and some strings.

I really like the production quality of this record, and the promo video that came along shortly after. I really want more like that on a regular basis, or maybe a real documentary/making of for the next record. I'm quite interested to hear what else is on the shelf now!

PASSION AND WARFARE

The mastering is definitely a lot nicer on this than the original release. You can tell digital conversion has come a long way since the late 80's/early 90's. It is still lacking a lot of bass end punch when you compare it to Modern Primitive, but its a lot better than it was.

I'm sticking to what I originally said about the bonus tracks, with the addition that I learned and transcribed Lovely Elixir the day it was uploaded. It's hands down one of my favourite Vai tracks, and should have been released on P&W originally. In my opinion, it might even rival For The Love Of God - less is more. The instrument/recording timbre doesn't match the rest of the record, which suggests it probably wasn't finished until recently - especially considering similar techniques are used that only really pop up on Modern Primitive. I'd have loved to have seen it performed on the UK leg of the tour that recently passed through.

VERDICT No.2

I still really like this album. I'd quite like a vinyl release, but not as much as some other stuff. It has some incredible moments, but equally some tracks that I (personally) don't feel all that attached to. Although, I'm sure it'll be on repeat for a very long time yet!

The only other thing I'll say is that I hope the tour doesn't go on too long. Don't get me wrong I loved seeing Steve's incredible live show and getting a chance to meet him afterward was an experience I'll always treasure, but it makes me feel a bit uneasy that so much time is passing between records. Its been 4 years already since The Story Of Light, 7 years before that since Reflections, and 6 before that since the Ultra Zone. I love seeing my favourite artists live and out in the world doing things, but sometimes it feels like its at the expense of the music and the other stuff that's been announced/planned and never followed through. Personally I think the two current releases for the Real Illusions trilogy contain some of the best music I've ever heard, and it'd be a shame if the artistic potential of someone like Steve wasn't completely realised. I realise that sounds Über whiney and perhaps a little harsh, but I know its true for a lot of people.

I'd give the record overall an 8/10. The production quality is very high and a little different than previous releases, and I really like the contrast between Vai then and Vai now. Its very varied yet not alienating, and gives a very authentic listening experience. Even with unfamiliar tones and textures you know who you're listening to - which is the mark of any great artist. I'm actually writing for some commissions as well as producing my own guitar record as we speak, and it was a nice little injection of creative influence into the projects since I'd hit a bit of a creative wall and it was refreshing to hear something new.
I'm incredibly interested to hear what else is on the infinity shelf after this effort!

GO AND BUY THIS RECORD

Pif

#28 Post by Pif » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:24 am

Even though I'm a fan, Steve's releases might be a bit of hot and miss for me, or at least hit and hits-not-so-much. I still jump on it though, I guess that's what qualifies me as a fan?

Anyway, it's just to say that I wasn't sold on Modern Primitive : I previously had not been convinced by the modern/primitive mix of 90's Leftovers, I feared this would sound like a collection of tracks, like collected Vaitunes, ELS or mystery tracks. And in a way, it falls into that trap, but the general feeling I get from MP is enthusiasm, of genuine playfulness. It seems like the process was in some way rejuvenating for Steve, and even though I feel guitar playing 80's Steve is getting a raw deal, being far in the background (love those guitar parts on No Pocket), the modern shares the same spirit.

Dark Matter, Mighty Messenger (with its gorgeous unexpected vocal break) and the Lost Chord with The Devin* are clearly highlights for me, and throughout the album the guitar phrasing is bold and adventurous.

I did not expect to like MP as much as I did, and I find that release to be refreshing.

What should I get from that? The Vai I don't like so much is the one that self-indulges a lot, and the Vai I like is the one that self-indulges a lot. And you know he's going to self-indulge no matter what, in fact it might be a good part of his sacred duty as an artist. So keep them coming our way.

* speaking of Devin and bold phrasing, any Vai fan must have an earful of Devin's Triumph which features a solo by you-know-who (Reckless Fable, not Voldemort).

dc27

#29 Post by dc27 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:11 pm

I (finally) got my physical copy of PAW/MP from my local indie record store. I really enjoyed reading the booklets and looking at the images, it was a nice little insight into the record and is a quality product.

Also, the TrueFire DVD just came out and I'm really, really happy with it. Its a lot of money, but you get more than what you pay for in content which is rare. In addition, Sony have just released another little featurette on YouTube about the making of PAW with new unseen footage which I really like. I'd love these kinds of videos to be a regular thing, and still hoping for a real documentary! (How about for the next record? :wink: :lol: )

All of the content being put out is really making this one of my favourite releases, and not just for Vai. More of this por pavor! :D

EyE

#30 Post by EyE » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:41 am

Bop!: Cool track. Could be used in a Jazz (dance) musical. Certainly has the rhythm and the action to it.

Dark Matter: Cool track, love it. Reminds me a little of Gravity Storm, Here I Am and Blowfish. Don’t ask me why….

Mighty Messengers: Cool, it has a Alcatrazz groove to it. God Bless Video meets Jet 2 Jet.

The Lost Chord: This has a rich and well balanced vocal parts and makes this song together with Steve’s playing a beautiful song.

Upanishads: Very cool track, love it. Reminds me of The Moon and I and also a little bit of Devil’s Food.

Fast Note People: Love this song. The beginning has a nice jazz-like groove to it and the orchestration in this song is just ridiculous beautiful. You may not realize it but it really is amazing.

And We Are One: This song is simply beautiful. Love the vocals doing the call and response. I feel you!

Never Forever: Cool Vai song! It has a Ultra Zone groove to it.

Lights Are On: They are on indeed. Great track Steve! Makes you want to grab the guitar and…. At 0.11m reminds me a little of a small intro part of Dweezil Zappa’s “Return Of The Son Of Shoogagoogagunga”. But just a small part.

No Pockets: Cool track. I recognized this one from the GIT bootleg vid. This is a real ‘80’s song and could be on Disturbing The Peace album.

Pink And Blows Over: I love the orchestration on this song. How all the parts nicely resolve into one piece of art. Love how he sings along with the piano parts and then it resolves into this furious part III. I totally love it!

Great work on the production on this album. It has a nice rich but well balanced sound. Just can imagine Steve and Gregg tweaking and peaking it. Congrats Steve for making this album!!
Love it!