Login with a social network:

It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:42 am 

So I got the records today and I'm really, REALLY digging the new stuff. In fact I'm on my first listen through as I write this. At the moment it looks like this could be one of my favourite Vai records, if not the favourite Vai record (though it'd take a lot to knock of The Story of Light).

MODERN PRIMITIVE
1 - Bop! : Interesting track. Very out there. Not sure I'd have used it as an opener though.

2 - Dark Matter : Good track. Kind of reminds me of a cross between Gravity Storm and Here I Am.

3 - Mighty Messengers : Nice hyperactive little track.

4 - The Lost Chord : This is perhaps my favourite song on this record. Love way the 7 string and bass seem to blend together towards the end. Fantastically heavy, yet not overdone. Very, VERY nice track with a great melody. Love the thickness of the vocals here, the multi tracking has been done really well and Devin sounds great! This is the direction I imagine the final Real Illusions record (and then the box release) will go (and the way I really want it to go!) This one will be on repeat for a LONG time.

5 - Upanishads : Everything about this conjures up The Moon and I, from the synth sounds to the solo. Great track.

6 - Fast Note People : Like the tempo change a lot in this one. May have overdone it a little with the vocal compression at 2:00, though that could just be my system.

7 - And We Are One : There are some really nice sounds and chords in this one. Love the call and response. Great choice for a seventh song!

8 - Never Forever : Very nice feel to this track. Fast moving yet tranquil (or should I say, Stillness in Motion? :lol: )

9 - Lights Are On : Man this one's all over the place. There's so much going on! I dread to think how many tracks this takes up in Pro Tools! :lol:

10 - No Pockets : The chorus of this one feels like a Vai interpretation of a stadium anthem. Loving the vocal harmonies. Quite catchy and straight forward, yet still has moments you don't expect.

11 - Pink and Blows Over, Pt.1 : I could have imagined this one on a Real Illusions record with different instrumentation. Its nice and gentle, then suddenly takes a big left turn. Love the unsettling chromatic phrases breaking things up.

12 - Pink and Blows Over, Pt.2 : Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy? Was that Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer? Really? Love the mysterious vibe to this one, almost like an old horror soundtrack. This sounds like what goes on outside and inside a creative's mind at the same time when writing/improvising/stream of consciousness. Sounds like Mike Keneally's piano reductions having a bad acid trip! I'd love to hear this one with an orchestra and choir.

13 - Pink and Blows Over, Pt.3 : Sounds like modern jazz fell through a guitar store backwards (thats not a bad thing by any means!)

All in all, the production on this album is really great. Nice bottom end clarity. I'd tone down the pitch correction a little though. It's a little too perfect - though its by no means a flaw. Steve says this is the missing link between Flex-Able and Passion and Warfare, but to me it honestly doesn't feel that way. It feels like more of a hybrid of Flex-Able and the Real Illusions records. I really, REALLY like it. I'd have loved just one more heavier track with a seven string, or a nice acoustic track just to break things up a bit. Very well done to you Mr. Vai!

PASSION AND WARFARE

The remastering on this is quite nice. It feels fresher, and seems clearer and with a more defined low end that the original record was really missing in my opinion.

1) - Lovely Elixir : This is one of my favourite Vai tracks. Why on EARTH didn't Steve include this on PAW?! Madman...

2) - And We Are One - Alternate Solo No.2: I'd have gone with this one, or a composite, but that's just me!

3) - As Above - Brian May much? How regal. Not digging the synth orchestral sounds though, but hey, it's a demo and that's what demos call for.

4) - So Below - These two tracks would be nice live on a String Theories record. Quite in the realm of film music, reminds me of old Disney films.

VERDICT

BUY THIS ALBUM
Really nice production, really nice writing. Liking this release an awful lot. I'd love to see Steve finish the Real Illusions trilogy and then finish as much on the shelf as possible. I'd also really love to see a new Sound Theories record with some of these tracks orchestrated/premiered along with The End of the World.

I've only listened to this once so far, so I can't comment much more than initial impressions. But, this album was a nice silver lining for quite a bad day in my country. SO! What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:40 pm 

I've just listened to it and I will only talk when I get my brain back :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:41 am 

Zongadude wrote:
I've just listened to it and I will only talk when I get my brain back :lol: :mrgreen:

New Vai day tends to do that to people :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:48 am 
Newcomer

Anyone else want to collect all of the alternate covers? I'm not sure how to do it...in fact I don't think I've seen any of the covers besides for the pink/red/blue guitar version. Anyway, I'd like them. Anyone know how to order the different versions?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:13 pm 

Bop! and Mighty Messengers are playing in my head constantly, can't get them out (that riff with a Strat, oh dear it blows me away). I've been singing Mighty Messengers all day! The Lost Chord is a very nice addition to MM. I feel that this album sort of like, hmm... contains pieces from all his albums.

Gotta go, I have to listen the album all over again! :wink:

Regards!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:37 pm 

ocxcxd wrote:
Bop! and Mighty Messengers are playing in my head constantly, can't get them out (that riff with a Strat, oh dear it blows me away). I've been singing Mighty Messengers all day! The Lost Chord is a very nice addition to MM. I feel that this album sort of like, hmm... contains pieces from all his albums.

Gotta go, I have to listen the album all over again! :wink:

Regards!

I agree. I've been listening/reading a few different interviews, and he mentioned Dark Matter was written around The Story of Light and included for a different dynamic, which I kinda suspected.

Bop! and Lights Are On have Flex-Able all over them. Mighty Messengers/The Lost Chord kind of sit by themselves which is nice. Upanishads is very Story of Light, Fast Note People is Western Vacation, And We Are One and No Pockets are very Fire Garden, Never Forever is definitely Ultra Zone/I Know You're Here ish, and Pink And Blows Over? Well... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:28 pm 
Newcomer

I like Modern Primitive, I guess I was hoping for more of a raw, unpolished album that felt true to the period. I knew there were going to be re-workings and overdubs, but a lot of this album felt like and sounded like the 2005+ style of Vai to me. If you can find a copy of 777 live at the Spirit Club '85 you can hear where a lot of these songs were at the time. I like the bonus tracks with PAW. It's really cool to hear what the album could've opened and closed with, but once again I wish there were things that were more true to the period instead of the alternate solo for We Are One.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:54 am 

I'd like to know if Steve is going to release PAW as a stand-alone CD (not downloads) Like he is going to do with MP..........

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:30 am 

*aching*
Still waiting on mine to arrive!
How do you all have it already???

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:16 am 

Jenn : I received my copy yesterday, but it's been available on streaming services since the release date and I completely abused that option (If I'm correct the free access to Deezer will let you listen but will insert ads in between songs). You also have a handful on tracks officially on YouTube.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:50 am 

Jenn Pix wrote:
*aching*
Still waiting on mine to arrive!
How do you all have it already???

I don't! It was due to arrive last week at my local record store, but I believe Sony have pushed the release back a week or so for whatever reason. I've (regretfully) been using Spotify *shudders* :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:38 am 

Wasn't there supposed to be a DVD of some sort along with the 2 cd's as well?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:18 am 

I will post a review on Modern Primitive soon. But for know, let me just say that Pink and blows over is one of the strangest and most interesting songs I've ever heard. This is exactly the music I need right now :guitar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:38 am 

So over on Amazon there's an option for Passion And Warfare - 25th Anniversary Edition (180 Gram Audiophile Clear Vinyl/Limited Edition/Gatefold Cover)

https://www.amazon.com/Passion-Warfare- ... 8&qid=&sr=

Supposedly shipping August 16th. Find it unusual that there's no mention on it here on vai.com

Maybe I missed it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

litlgrnman wrote:
So over on Amazon there's an option for Passion And Warfare - 25th Anniversary Edition (180 Gram Audiophile Clear Vinyl/Limited Edition/Gatefold Cover)

https://www.amazon.com/Passion-Warfare- ... 8&qid=&sr=

Supposedly shipping August 16th. Find it unusual that there's no mention on it here on vai.com

Maybe I missed it?

No you haven't - will post all details as soon as I have them.

J