A personal message to Steve from a Jewel Box owner.

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
redrook

A personal message to Steve from a Jewel Box owner.

#1 Post by redrook » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:55 am

Ok, this is a personal message for Steve, I don't care whether it gets read or not.

I've been a huge fan for years, even despite getting a "golden ticket" in my Sound Theories album, which meant I should've met you after a gig in Glasgow, but after waiting nearly an hour was told that you were not feeling great and wouldn't attend that night. I thought hey, fair play, I understand, maybe this will be made up for at a later date. Nope.

And still, I remained a devotee.

Anyway, nearly a decade ago I shelled out for what was essentially, an incomplete product with what was basically a subscription premise which would culminate in a complete set worth treasuring.

Since then, nothing has happened. I am left with a nearly worthless collectible. Not long ago I remember them going on ebay for hundreds of $. Now, you can barely give them away because nobody cares. Everyone knows that they're worthless and never to be completed.

For a while I didn't hold this attitude. I thought that it would take a few years, sure, but eventually I'd have what I was promised.

I am not just a little disappointed. You are someone who maintains they are so committed to their music, so driven and so fan-friendly (as I have found you to be in person), so I am completed disillusioned and utterly disappointed.

For devoted fans such as myself, who have followed (and played) your music for years, this total lack respect as I see it, is a kick in the teeth. You've had the time to put together complex and multi-faceted albums fronted by massive tours, yet something your promised years ago is abandoned.

I don't intend to be harsh, but I do intend to communicate my feelings honestly, and I know I am not the only one. There are many members of this forum who will barely know what I'm talking about, and therefore many who will dismiss this. But I also know that there are many who feel as I do, and know exactly where I'm coming from.

It wasn't always just an incomplete and inconsequential box of meaningless CDs, but it is becoming that way to us, if not just a middle finger sitting on our shelves.

Please, please complete this set, and make good on what you have repeatedly promised. It's not about a box of CDs, it's about the complete lack of respect which the abandonment of this project communicates.

Sincerely, E.

bob mac

Re: A personal message to Steve from a Jewel Box owner.

#2 Post by bob mac » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:10 am

I'm with you on this, and don't forget the book that was to come with this set......... :evil:

kyle am I

#3 Post by kyle am I » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:42 pm

There's plenty of stuff coming out this year much more exciting than a secret jewel box installment, and while 10 years is a long time to be patient, Steve will get to it...

RickAllen

#4 Post by RickAllen » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:52 am

I also agree that it's taken way too long to finish the box set. 5 years is reasonable, 10 is ridiculous. It's all recorded, just put it out and be done with it.

kyle am I

#5 Post by kyle am I » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:42 pm

RickAllen wrote:I also agree that it's taken way too long to finish the box set. 5 years is reasonable, 10 is ridiculous. It's all recorded, just put it out and be done with it.
I suppose its a walk in the park to get the licensing/rights and would take no effort at all to legally put it all together... ;)

Prezidentman

#6 Post by Prezidentman » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:06 am

I think there should have been at least an official statement years ago so people knew what the deal is...

redrook

#7 Post by redrook » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:57 pm

kyle am I wrote:
RickAllen wrote:I also agree that it's taken way too long to finish the box set. 5 years is reasonable, 10 is ridiculous. It's all recorded, just put it out and be done with it.
I suppose its a walk in the park to get the licensing/rights and would take no effort at all to legally put it all together... ;)
Yeah it would be so difficult to do in a decade, especially for an established major label artist. Yeah really big feat that. Give me a break.

Can the apologist nonsense. You have as little clue as I do, and given the information which we have (which is none!) the time it has taken has been unacceptable. As for telling me to "be patient", are you for real!? TEN YEARS I HAVE WAITED.

redrook

#8 Post by redrook » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:59 pm

bob mac wrote:I'm with you on this, and don't forget the book that was to come with this set......... :evil:
I long ago gave up on that.

redrook

#9 Post by redrook » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:03 pm

kyle am I wrote:There's plenty of stuff coming out this year much more exciting than a secret jewel box installment, and while 10 years is a long time to be patient, Steve will get to it...
As for this, how dare you presume to tell me what my musical priorities are? I honestly haven't been interested in much Steve's put out since Real Illusions. I want this unfinished product to be completed, but it won't be. I cannot understand how you don't comprehend the implications this has. It's a giant middle finger to long term fans like myself.

From your comments it seems to me that you're more interested in scoring imaginary forum brownie points and being sanctimonious than actually contributing a meaningful response.

This product was sold under the same premise as any subscription, it even had a timescale for completion (which is now a distant memory). Sorry, but if a magazine suddenly stops sending out issues would you not be a bit pissed? Would you not be even more pissed when they tell you that they're doing more interesting things now, things better than the stuff that you want, which suddenly has no value to them. All this communicates is that what fans like myself bought into now has no value, and concurrently, neither do our wishes, despite the fact that musical artists owe their fans for their success in the same way as any other brand. You sir, have entirely missed the point, so get off your pedestal and try to understand us common folk. That is, if you can bear to say a bad word about Mr Vai.

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by Jeroen » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:26 am

From Steve himself, in response to the question if the jewel box will be finished (yesterday in the facebook chat):

"Yes. As a matter of fact, right now, almost as we speak, I am working on the extra disc of music that will be included in the Passion and Warfare 25th anniversary release, early next year. This music was either recorded or written in the period between Flexible and P&W. It's the missing link Vai music that bridges the gap between those projects. Outside of the P&W 25th anniversary package, it will be an addition to The Secret Jewel Box. -s"

Followup question:
"Any closer to getting the rest of the CDs we were promised for the secret jewel box about a decade ago???
"
"See above --and remind me never to make promises again. -s"

kyle am I

#11 Post by kyle am I » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:39 pm

Wow

Your Internet anger will really make Vai get a move on now

My pedastal? You actually said "how dare you" in a sentence, followed by how I was so inconsiderate as to not take your feelings into account when I said the new stuff coming out this year is more exciting. Also, that's all I said, and apparently that warrants a complete profile of who I am as a person. Sorry my posts haven't all been as meaningful as the ranting and raving examples you have provided.

Everyone has known about the state of the box for years; and while its Vai's fault for not having made it a priority, it's responses like yours that make me glad he is at fault for it, or else we wouldn't get such entertaining whining.

Jeries

#12 Post by Jeries » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:46 am

CD's are over
CD's are done

Who the fuck cares about a box with extra room for future crap

I hope he does good music and relevant stuff

Vai's music has always translated better to me in the visual form- I enjoy his DVD's more than his albums.

...I'm pretty sure in the last 5 yrs Vai has more youtube hits than album sales.
Actually I'd bet that Vai has more youtube hits in the last 5 years than all albums puchased in the united states the last 5 yrs...

its over... evolve...

I'd estimate Vai would loose money completing the box-

he's lucky he has the freedom to do what he wants- and I want him to do what he wants

I hate Metallica fans because they bitch and moan about everything and make Metallica do stuff they don't want to do. Where as- I liked where they were going doing what they wanted to do (Load/Reload) but everyone bitched to make 'heavyyyy music' so they did "st anger/death magnetic"

do what you want- not what we tell you to

If Vai listened to idiots and listened to everyone he wouldn't be Steve Vai-
so...do what you want

Tony S

#13 Post by Tony S » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:26 am

Jeries wrote:CD's are over
CD's are done

Who the fuck cares about a box with extra room for future crap
There are plenty of people who still buy cds. They're not dead yet. Many people prefer a physical product to computer files. I seem to recall people saying vinyl was dead when cds first came out. Now look, vinyl is making a big comeback.

As for who cares about the box - well, the people who paid a lot of money for it at the beginning, have the cds released so far, have waited ten years and want the rest to make it a finished product.

vinnie vincent
Newcomer

#14 Post by vinnie vincent » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:12 pm

little green men about 4 foot 2
maybe they wont to kick some butt! :headbang :guitar :mrgreen:

lucky7

#15 Post by lucky7 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:40 pm

I like a lot of people purchased The Secret Jewel Box upon its release has some issues in the pre order but it arrived this was back over a decade and many moons ago.

Steve mentioned at the time it was a labour of love for him and costing a lot of his own money.

Over the years every Moderator of this board has explained what is going on with the Box, and now we have the new message, so that to me is fine, I mean would we like to be held to account to everything we have ever said?....fair enough if he had only ever release two cd's.

I still have it and every time I go to one of his concerts and get a pick, aftershow pass, whatever they all go in to the box.

I loved the idea of a book because just like the one Joe Satriani released last year it would be great to have one on Steve Vai. (Hint, Hint please release a biography/autobiography :peace )

But any fan who has just purchased the new CD/DVD knows Vai has not been sitting on his ass, he has been very busy.

If it gets finished or never finished and we just get to enjoy other releases by him, I for one am happy he looks as though he will never retire! :) 8)