MI Hollywood Ticket Contest

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Would you like to go see Steve next week (12/11) at his exclusive Musicians Institute Conversation Series appearance in Hollywood?
Post here and tell us why you would like to attend and what you hope to learn.

This event is closed to the public, except for the handful of tickets we can give away.

Ticket only, travel and other arrangements not included.
Vai.com
voodoomisfit75
Newcomer

I would be more than honored to be able to attend, because Steve via is not only an amazing musician, but his way of thinking and beliefs are just wow.
I can relate to his beliefs and see how it really makes a better person, and a better musician..or anything you apply this too.
My passion in life has and is music, and steve's work, has helped me in a lot.
So being there would be more than a dream, but maybe its the universe working its magic to make this happen for me.
As he said everything happens for a reason, and that is something that I have always put out there, to have an opportunity like this.

Thank you
katorian
Newcomer

I would pretty well have given my first born..to see Steve ..i have been sick ..for last few years ..which i have found my relief an release from a lot ofr my pain is thru music ..listening to ..while in bed ..in hospital ..or at home ..i have watched Steve with Uncle frank Zappa ..and my mind has gone to a better place ...sorry to say i can`t attend ..would love to but not possible ..what i would love to see is Steve ..watch few of these young no-body guitar players ..to find one with "THE LOOK IN HIS EYE " like Steve had with Zappa ..like the interview with Frank ..oh you have the job start inmorning ..Steve was 22 ..i think...Steve has helped me emensley i owe him ..my daughter has cancer ..and i need to get her focused on my kind of Music ..it honestly helps ..thanks for letting me send this ..Steve talent needs to shared like Frank Zappa done with Steve ..
kyle am I

Only two posts here?

I figured there would be hundreds!

Good luck to those of you that entered!
StevieRayVai

Im from Wisconsin, and just by chance I will be in LA the week of this. I have been a Vai fn since I was 17. As with so many other people, Steve has opened up a whole new world for me for both my musical interests and guitar playing. I would constantly listen to all his albums, watch all his videos, and try to soak in as much as I could to incorporate it in my guitar playing (still do).

September 21, 2007, changed my whole perspective on what an AMAZING concert is, and set the bar for how I judge performances. I saw Steve in Milwaukee, (at the time 18) and my mind could not handle it. I brought one of my best friends who was just getting into guitar playing and had no idea of great guitarists. He was forever changed. Back then, we were just poor teens, and couldn't afford Evo passes, so we waited outside until 12:30-1 AM on a school night just to meet Steve. He was amazingly humble (as was his entire band) and it was the biggest honor to meet the world's greatest guitarist. I can't even begin to tell you how much that still means to me, and how I still tell that story to everyone. After the show, even the security guards were talking about how they've never seen anyone play at the Pabst like Steve did, and how we got all our money's worth.

Exactly 5 years later, he came to Milwaukee on the same exact date on September 27th, 2012. I brought yet another friend who knew little about Steve, and his mind was blown too. Its so rare to have an artist these days play for hours giving so much heart and soul night after night. I can't wait for the day that Steve comes back.

It would be the BIGGEST honor for me to go to this event in Hollywood. Not only would I be able to learn so much, but I would be able to bring my girlfriend along and expose her to the magic of Mr. Vai, just as I did with my friends at the first and second Vai shows I went to. I am a huge fan of his interviews, and hearing all of the knowledge he has. Trust me, there are few people I can say that about. Please take me into consideration, and thank you for reading!!
Jenn Pix

OMG, if I was closer... but I can't get myself to Hollywood.
I'd LOVE to be there, though. Watching/listening to him play is an experience I'll never forget, and all the interviews/discussions that I've seen, he is so inspiring! Life strategies and philosophy much like how I try to live my own life. I also find myself with a new insight or different perspective on something I already "knew", adding layers of understanding.
And what he says... so much can be taken beyond music and guitar. The same ideas can be applied to any pursuit, and life in general.
The man just blows my mind.
I wish I could get myself to Hollywood for that event!

To whoever does win a ticket...
Please come back and post your experience (as much as you can!) for the rest of us to live the vicarious joy! :wink:
Prezidentman

Will he play as well? Or just talk?
b2

Ahhh... that very good looking JEM with maple fingerboard again.
Maybe we will see this model for sale one day? :wink:

I am working for Santa Claus here in Norway these days.
Very busy time of the year. Maybe I could borrow that sled...
No, I don't dare ride it. Got into trouble last time. The Chelyabinsk "meteor" :oops:
Good luck to all who participate in the contest.
Stringabuser
Newcomer

I would love to attend not only as a huge Steve Vai fan, but also because Steve's approach to the way he views music, life and how to get where you want have been inspiring to me on all levels of life. He is the most amazing performer I've ever seen live and when I've met him in the past he's always been very kind to me.

I'd love to attend and get more musical and career advice from Steve if at all possible.

Thank you very much

Seth Worsham
egotripband
Newcomer

well its obvious really ... if Steve wants to get a hit record he'll need to do a cover of one of my pieces . so if i get to attend the show we can do a deal and voila . a hit for Steve . also , i don't have anything pencilled in for that day so i may as well get a freebie to admire a wonderful musician . Have a Merry Christmas everybody .
bruuzr
Newcomer

I was turned onto Steve's music in the mid 80's, and never looked back since then. I have seen Steve Vai live many times, and also attended a few master classes. Steve is a great motivational speaker. He speaks great knowledge of the guitar, but he will tell you it's how you think. Look at the big picture, and why not. You don't have to play the guitar to understand where Steve is coming from, use your mind.

After the last master class I went to, I used his information on how you think and it works. My hobby, other than the guitar has taken off! Thanks to Steve's advice on how you think.

I would love to attend at MI's 12/11 event, to learn more about Steve's outlook on life, music, and what's holding you back from the big picture.
mmmaryrose
Newcomer

I never really listened to instrumental rock until I met my bf (username StevieRayVai here on this board). He had told me about how he met Steve once and how Steve is such a big influence in his life and his hobby of playing guitar. I thought to myself, if Steve is such a significant figure in my bf's life, I should give him a shot. I decided to ask my bf for some videos of Steve to see what he was really about, and I became a fan!

Steve truly makes guitar playing an art form. The emotion and feeling he has when he plays is incredible! Unfortunately, I missed out on the chance of seeing Steve on tour this year when I went to Milwaukee the day after he played there. I'll admit I was jealous of my bf who was able to see him that night.
It would be amazing if you let me come along with Matt (StevieRayVai) to this once in a lifetime event! I'd love to learn about his journey towards his success.
zonezar
Newcomer

Hey Steve !!!!!!!!

I could probably type a whole book as to why I'd like to attend this MI function…. so I'll Keep it short…lol
My name is John Flocken from Long Beach, CA & Ive been playing guitar since I was 11 years old "35 now" & you, I believe are one of the most technically and imaginative & disciplined guitar players out there, I grew up on Zappa cause of my dad and I would read about how you transcribed some of his records at berkley & how he would write impossible things to play on the guitar and you would make it happen. I followed you through Sex & Religion , got your alien love secrets on VHS, been to a few shows & rocked out in my room playing air guitar to all your wild stuff …. hahahaha
On a more personal note, music is more to me than to most, music is an expression of ones soul "the universal language" , I once read some words you wrote for a master class about the levels of musician and the highest level being a musician who is compelled to learn the instrument to the highest level and demonstrate these skills to the world, I have never really had a lot of money for music school or lessons so I've figured out the guitar pretty much on my own with the help of a few others ( this was before the internet so finding things for the guitar were not so easy) I learned by watching you , Al DI Meola, Randy Rhoads, Allen Holdsworth, Michael Schenker etc. " I'm really into weird progressive music"
I belive music should be fresh and innovative with lots of imagination !!!!!! and you really excel at that … excel like crazy….

I really want to sit there in a more personal setting where I can rally learn something, I was born with dyslexia so music books and videos are sometimes a bit confusing, but, when its more of a discussion and right there in front of me I lean so much more. Sometimes, I believe some people have such a high level of positive spiritual energy its just a good thing to be in there presence and soak up those positive vibes because they cary with you.

Steve - You really know how to create out of the box & keep music moving & I really hope I have the opportunity to watch, learn & listen from you at MI Hollywood

Thanks for all the 6 string inspiration through the years

peace & Blessings
- John Flocken
Jenn Pix

Not much time left. Has a winner been chosen yet?
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, a winner has been randomly picked, the contest is now closed.