VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:20 am 
Newcomer

First off, I'm a long time member of the Vai forum but made a new account due to losing the email address I originally used.

Yes, I am aware that this probably gets asked every other day, but as a Vai fan for the last decade I am getting very frustrated that my Secret Jewel Box is still empty. It has got to the point where people have lost faith in this release so much that they are selling on ebay for under $50. A couple years ago they were hard to get for less than $200-150.

Many people, including myself feel that this box has been completely forgotten about, and will likely never be completed. Please tell me this isn't the case, when can we expect the final CDs? I mean, it has been 13 YEARS!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:13 pm 

I'm not happy about this either. Where's the booklet all box holders were promised we would receive EXCLUSIVELY because we owned the box? Looks like it was a great idea at first but when put into action, he couldn't fulfil the promises.

Probably not Steve's fault, more like his management and or some bright spark who thought it would be a great idea. I just wish we could get some clarification on whether it's going to be finished one day and whether we can get the booklet. I shelled out nearly £100 for nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:13 am 

I think Steve ran into some trouble with publishing rights to some of the Alcatrazz stuff and other things, then got distracted with other projects and ultimately the thing was put on hold...that was a time where he putting out a lot of stuff and it seemed like it would take a few years at most, but he's since decided to focus on other projects and now I imagine he's more interested in spending time on other things. Oh, well.
If I had to guess I'd say that there still a chance the Box may get finished some day but it won't be anytime soon...there's similar chances that it will never be finished.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:29 am 
Newcomer

Prezidentman wrote:
got distracted with other projects and ultimately the thing was put on hold... decided to focus on other projects

I've heard that sort of thing over and over, and it's a kind way of putting it. Basically we've been completely screwed and I am seriously pissed off about it. Its like buying a ticket for a concert that isn't going ahead, but no refunds and no future date. It's, quite frankly, bullshit.

People use way too personal language on here when they talk about Vai, and it gives the impression that some people think that by selling you stuff he did you a personal favour. He didn't and this sort of service wouldn't be acceptable anywhere else, and shouldn't be here.

I feel completely let down, and I refuse to believe that Vai couldn't hire someone to get this done, if he is indeed busy. I'm afraid that in our relationship you are a multi-million dollar franchise Mr Vai, not a person, and as such I have expectations that professional obligations will be fulfilled. So, whether it's Steve's fault personally or not is irrelevant, my complaint is with the Vai franchise, and I want the damn CDs I was promised!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:57 am 

redrook wrote:
Prezidentman wrote:
got distracted with other projects and ultimately the thing was put on hold... decided to focus on other projects

I've heard that sort of thing over and over, and it's a kind way of putting it. Basically we've been completely screwed and I am seriously pissed off about it. Its like buying a ticket for a concert that isn't going ahead, but no refunds and no future date. It's, quite frankly, bullshit.

People use way too personal language on here when they talk about Vai, and it gives the impression that some people think that by selling you stuff he did you a personal favour. He didn't and this sort of service wouldn't be acceptable anywhere else, and shouldn't be here.

I feel completely let down, and I refuse to believe that Vai couldn't hire someone to get this done, if he is indeed busy. I'm afraid that in our relationship you are a multi-million dollar franchise Mr Vai, not a person, and as such I have expectations that professional obligations will be fulfilled. So, whether it's Steve's fault personally or not is irrelevant, my complaint is with the Vai franchise, and I want the damn CDs I was promised!

I get where you're coming and you're right...unfortunately, sometimes things just don't work out the way we want them too. The thing is we all bought the box with the promise of future releases. The cd's that were promised should've all been out years ago, but there was never any guarantee they would be and since we have not pre-paid for these cd's by purchasing the box all we can do is wait and hope. It's a sad situation and a person does have a right to be totally disappointed by this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:13 am 

Honestly, to me this has never felt like a problem. Personally, in the past I would have preferred Steve to work (and tour) on newer material, as long as he can physically do it, and reserve the release of archival material for when he will no longer be able to tour or play at his current level. But now, as long as he doesn't stop (which right now is highly unlikely), whatever move he makes I get excited about. I certainly would never want him to undertake a project without the necessary enthusiasm, because then the feeling wouldn't be passed on to us who listen to his music.