VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:24 am 

I can't seem to find a reliable answer anywhere on the internet, so I'm asking this here, hoping someone will have the kindness to enlight me :)

Tomorrow (thursday) there will be a 3-hour Steve Vai Masterclass in the town of Nancy (France). I already bought my ticket and I will be there. It's really great and I'm happy.

Does anyone know how much of this 3-hour thing is actually similar to a concert (if at all?). Or is it just a conversation/exchange with Steve demoing some stuff and talking about his art ? The reason I'm asking is because I would like to buy tickets for my two kids (13 and 16 years old because they're are also Vai enthusiasts and they very much want to come). But I know they won't enjoy a classic Masterclass as much as a live concert. (Mostly because they're young and just starting on learning English).

So what I would like to know is if it's a good idea to bring them along or not. Will Steve be alone or will he bring musicians to back him up ? Will it be part concert / part discussion ? In what proportion ?

Sorry if my questioning sounds dumb. I know I will enjoy the event immensly, but I don't want my kids to feel left out because of the special nature of this event.

Thank you for your answers.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steve will play, jam and demonstrate during the class, but please note that this is not a concert.

J

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:53 am 

Thanks a lot, Jeroen :)

I thought so.
I decided to go alone this time, and I'll bring my kids to a show of the next european tour. They'll be older so that will be better for them also.

Can't wait for this afternoon ! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Enjoy :)

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:16 pm 

I did ;)

I'm just back from this revealing Masterclass (which lasted 4 hours !).
With a lot of talking (Q&A) between Steve and the audience, very few music (five songs in all), but an incredibly touching and fulfilling experience.

Steve was very generous and interesting to listen to. His views and reflections on how to approach music, on what a musician's self-development should be, and on how one can achieve goals was fantastic. A lot of this conversation was eye-opening and reassuring.
Steve was open to every question, and his answers were full of sincerity and honesty. He didn't hide behind anything and was never vague. And it was always with his witty sense of humor, even when dealing with serious philosophical topics.

I strongly recommend to anyone to try the experience. Even for non-guitar players or non-musicians.

(Finally I did have my 13 year old daughter with me - since some of her teachers were absents and she finished school earlier, she insisted on attending and it was easier for me to take her with me rather then taking her home from school and be back in time for the Masterclass. So she came along and she enjoyed it very much: we were seated, and Steve's speech was slow and articulated enough for her to understand almost anything. She plays piano and clarinet, and Steve's advices can be applied to any instrument, not just the guitar).

And of course she loved the music. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:37 pm 

Sounds like it was wonderful! One of these days, I have GOT to get to one of those.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:22 am 

Jenn Pix wrote:
Sounds like it was wonderful! One of these days, I have GOT to get to one of those.

It is wonderful. I wish you can attend one in the future.

Be aware though that it is really not a concert, and it's neither a guitar lesson in the proper sense of the term. Sure, Steve will demonstrate and explain some guitar technicals if people ask him (such as the circular vibrato technique, yesterday in Nancy). But it's really about dedication to the music, ho to organize yourself to make your goal happen, and how you mentally approach your instrument. And how you should be listening.

Seems to me it's more valuable than any "classic" guitar lesson, which you can find yourself online or books anyway. This is about experiencing, more than explaining or analyzing intellectually.

And Steve has some great memories to share about the 80s, and his own discovery of music and the guitar with Joe Satriani. ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:59 am 

One of the biggest reasons I want to go is specifically to hear him speak. Even though I don't play, I have heard him speak on his approach to music, and I have applied some of that same passion to my jewelry making. I just love listening to him, he is very inspiring to me.

Of course, any music he cares to play/demonstrate is absolutely something I'd love to hear as well, but man... I just would love to hear him speak in depth about the process, approach and experience. 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:25 pm 

Jenn Pix wrote:
he is very inspiring to me.

Exactly.
If you go to one of this "encounter" with him, you won't be disappointed.