VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:53 am 
Banned

How come all tabs in general just plain suck, especially steve's tabs on the internet, such as from ultimate guitar, they all suck, even the songbooks, from leonard and the such, which you have to pay to get, are incorrect. For example, for the love of god, they have the basic notes, but that is not the correct way steve plays it on the record, and live. Sure, steve vai plays it a little different when live, but the basic pattern, fingering, notes, are the same.

Yet, the tabs and songbooks, don't even come close to neither of those versions. I have tried to play for the love of god for years, and my main problem, has always been not knowing, what notes to play, and especially what fingers to use to play each and every note, once you already know what are the exact notes and fingering, then is just a matter of practice, but if you got it all wrong, with shitty tabs, is impossible to play the tune, it makes it harder than it already is.

Especially the fingering part, it is very important, you have to watch very carefully what fingers steve uses for each and every note, because that is the way to play it the easiest, with the least amount of effort. If you use the wrong finger, you're just making harder to learn this tune.

Also, the youtube lessons and covers, and lick library lessons for "the love of god", are also incorrect, creating even more confussion on how to actually play the tune.

The problem is not so much that steve's tunes are too difficult to play, yeah, they are technically challenging, but it becomes impossible to learn to play his solos, when all the tabs are wrong, and don't even tell you what fingers to use for each note. They just give you the notes, and expect you to figure it out.

To make matters worse, all steve vai's videos, never show a full close up view of the freatboard, like a video lesson would, this makes it very hard to decipher the exact notes, details, and fingering. It took me weeks of watching, all his "for the love of god" videos, and slowing them down with a program, also slowing down the mp3s, to finally dicapher what notes, he is playing, and what fingers he is using

I was astonished, at how much incorrect the tabs and songbooks were, when compared to my deciphering, and I only deciphered half the tune, is a work in progress.

Same thing, for surfing with the alien, all the tabs and songbooks of it, suck big time, that is not the way, satriani plays it on record, and especially live. They complicate the tabs, I also deciphered like 90% of surfing with the alien, same thing, slowing down his videos, to catch a glimpse of the fingering, so different from the tabs, everything, slide, legato, vibrato, fingering, everything.

I went from only being able to play only 50% of it, due confussion and not knowing the notes, and fingering, to now being able to play it 100% except from some fast parts, which I'm not 100% up to speed, but the notes, fingerings are basically the same.

I have noticed that the way satriani plays it live, is easier and less complicated than all the tabs, yet it still sounds just as great if not better than the tabs

For example, there is a part, where you have do legato with bendings, around the 14th fret on the B string, the tabs tell you that there are 2 or 3 positions on the 14th, for this bend/legato sequence

yet, I noticed, that the way satriani plays it live, he simply does the same position for the whole sequence, instead of 2 or 3, and it sound just as good

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:02 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:47 am 

kyle am I wrote:

**applauds**
LOL, if I could +1 or 'like', I so totally would!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

How about learning by ear? Along with a little understanding of theory, it's a great way to 'grow' a good ear & helps connect with the instrument.

J

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:28 am 
Banned

Jeroen wrote:
How about learning by ear? Along with a little understanding of theory, it's a great way to 'grow' a good ear & helps connect with the instrument.

J

isn't that what I'm doing? I have a good ear

The majority of tabs on the internet are incorrect, but they have the basic notes, then I just slow down the mp3s to find those little nuances and notes that make the tune special

I mean, if the tabs were correct, they would be able to sell them, right? lol

Even the songbooks, are a little more correct than the tabs

What I always disliked about tabs and songbooks, is that the majority don't tell you what fingers to use for each note, and if you have to use upstrokes or downstrokes, in many cases with easy songs, is easy to figure out on your own, but with masterpieces like vais and satriani, without this information, it makes it harder to play their tunes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:40 pm 

orlandopunk wrote:
Jeroen wrote:

J

isn't that what I'm doing?

Not if you're using TAB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:08 am 
Banned

kyle am I wrote:
orlandopunk wrote:
Jeroen wrote:

J

isn't that what I'm doing?

Not if you're using TAB

I clearly said I'm slowing down the video and mp3, and transcribing note for note

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:04 am 

You wrote a post complaining about Steve Vai tab. Why complain about something you don't use.