VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:58 am 

If anyone wants a free ticket to the gig a week today in Manchester, then mine is available on a first come first served basis. Please PM me with your address etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:39 am 

The ticket has now gone!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:26 am 

It's too bad you couldn't make it, the gig was incredible! It was the third time I've seen Steve, and by far the best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:27 am 

To tell you the truth, I couldn't get excited enough to make the effort to go after a long day at work, a drive over the hills in the rain and darkness and then 20 hour journey to Burma (where I am sweltering as I write) the following day. I found the last album 'mixed' at best and I just feel that the way the 'management' have been treating the fans since Mikey left is indicative of their regard for you all- you are just not special anymore and we certainly did feel special in the past. I suppose I've just fallen out of love with all things Vai. It happens, I'm sure my love won't be missed!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:(

Yeah, you will be missed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:00 pm 

I've always wondered why this happens to some of us. Are we actually fans of the artist or fans of the model of the artist we've built up in our minds? In the latter case, we seem to end up judging the artist against our model of them instead of being open to whatever they're doing. Eventually, this becomes untenable and we end up abandoning the whole pursuit.

Now this is all reasonable in terms of enjoying what we like and not wasting time with the things we don't - but is that really fair to the artist?

Or are we just fans of specific things the artist has done and not the artist themselves - but end up framing it as being a fan of the artist without realizing the difference?

To be less general - I've gotten the sense from Bill's posts (from even way back when there used to be a Vai list and he went by a non-internet-only moniker) that he always wished Vai continued to be the thing he (sv) was when he (sv) put out the music he (bbb) enjoyed. And it's been a growing rift ever since, that he (bbb) finally fell into and couldn't be arsed to get out of.

All of this is perfectly reasonable, of course. Just something to muse on. I tend to enjoy my expectation-free fan-dom - I've found it very freeing over the past decade or so, having gone from being someone with a very well-defined sense of what was musically acceptable for me to enjoy to actually discovering things I was either not expecting, or certainly wouldn't have allowed myself to enjoy within a rigid framework.

I generally tend to enjoy everything that, say, Mike Keneally does regardless of what the specifics might be (all the way from the odd-as-fuck TV interstitial bits to TUWP to Wing Beat Fantastic and certainly the Guitar Therapy stuff), and tend to not really find too many redeeming qualities in anything, say, John Mayer does (even the Trio stuff - he's a great player, but he doesn't do anything exciting for me). And on the flip-side, there are things Muse has done that I've loved, and things I can't stand. Same for Dream Theater. So I guess I'm not saying there's any correct (or incorrect) way to be a fan of an artist/band on one side or a fan of specific material on the other - but it bears thinking about what you like/don't like about something so that your own expectations are appropriately set.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:14 pm 

anuj wrote:
To be less general - I've gotten the sense from Bill's posts (from even way back when there used to be a Vai list and he went by a non-internet-only moniker) that he always wished Vai continued to be the thing he (sv) was when he (sv) put out the music he (bbb) enjoyed. And it's been a growing rift ever since, that he (bbb) finally fell into and couldn't be arsed to get out of.

I think you are generally correct in this analysis, anuj. I liked Steve's music for the things that I liked Steve's music for! For example, on the new album I really like the classic Vai tracks like the title track, Velorum and Gravity Storm but the other 9 tracks......I've converted a person very dear to me, to Vai (and who previously listened exclusively to Marilyn Manson :| ) by playing them the title track and saying "Look a solo without a hint of the blues that doesn't repeat itself once! That is amazing!" "Listen to how that release of a pre-bend gives the impression of everything sagging under the 'Gravity Storm'. That is amazing!" As a result of this and my recommendations of other Vai albums and tracks, she attended a date on the recent tour and listens to his music all the time. But she did say he played and awfully cheesy tune about "the moon or something...." too.

I don't listen to Steve's music because I think it's 'worthy' or it's somehow 'good for me' musically or even spiritually- it, and indeed any other type of music, do not have these attributes despite what people may want to believe, I listened to it because I liked it. Steve's musical interests appear to be moving in another direction whereas my tastes in this genre, have remained static so what is the
logical thing to do?

When someone recommends a book to me and I find it hard going and can't get into it, I stop reading. Life is too short!
:D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:47 am 

I totally understand - it wasn't a judgement of any kind, just an observation. Spend time with the music you enjoy, don't waste it with what you don't. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:24 am 

Big Bad Bill wrote:
I just feel that the way the 'management' have been treating the fans since Mikey left is indicative of their regard for you all- you are just not special anymore and we certainly did feel special in the past.

How so? I'm not quite sure I know what you mean. I don't really see a difference, unless you mean here on the forum?