Login with a social network:

It is currently Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:10 pm 
Newcomer

So, I've just finished listening to the album. In the process I thought it was going to be my favorite record ever, and it could be, but I guess this decision could take a lifetime. I hope there are Steve's fans around here who already listened to the album and would like to share their insights!

What I personally did like (some general thoughts so far):

- I like the arrangements and overall sound decisions - it seems to me that Steve decided to stay true to the spirit of those songs and to the way they were created in the first place (at least to a reasonable extent), but still obviously with his current approach (and modern technologies at hand)

- The lyrics are great. Simple by their nature, but they speak of enlightenment and world order. I really wonder if they were written back then in the 80s. They are words of a seeking man, in the search of divine. Some are humorous as well!

- The vocals are very well done and unique (I think) to any of his recent recordings (especially background vocals)

- Sound design, again - small details and "easter eggs" all over the place - something fun to find listening to the album again and again

- It appeals to me as to a big fan of Vai's earlier work and still sounds like modern record. There is a hint of nostalgia at times, but it's not really a nostalgic record. It sounds fresh to me

- It does have some jaw-dropping moments (which are always expected from his music). Mighty Messengers choral part as a good example

- Very adventurous and brave. Steve is definitely trying some new stuff here that he has never done before, in both artistic and producing/mixing departments, new fuzzy guitar tones. I kind of still can't get over how It doesn't sound like any of his previous works

- "Fast notes people". Man, I so love that Western Vacation album. And to hear this track like this now was mind-blowing to me. There are other references to WV, too .

- It also appeared to me as very light and festive. Nothing brooding or dark. Very energetic and fresh (man this word really suits this record), but sometimes reflective.

- Keyboards. I enjoyed them a lot. Must be Korg patches/samples, and they were so amazing, fast, "progy", 80s

- Btw, some songs from here you can check out on couple available bootlegs from 80s. It's going to be sooo good to compare!

And some things I didn't like or understand yet:

- Soloing parts. Yea, I know what you're thinking but hear me out. This is a very weird nitpick, but most of them sounded like modern Steve Vai. I follow his musical development quite closely, and the way he played/composed those parts sounded like 2012-2016 Vai, not 1984ish, as I expected. (although after re-listening the day after I think I may have been wrong about this one)

- It doesn't sound like a cohesive record to me yet, more like collection of songs. Flex-able was like that too, though

- Although as I said I enjoyed vocals, I also felt they are noticably tuned (with Melodyne or such). But that's the standard now

I guess that's It for now! I hope someone tunes in here too and leave some opinions for discussion!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:53 pm 

IanBlack8 wrote:

- Soloing parts. Yea, I know what you're thinking but hear me out. This is a very weird nitpick, but most of them sounded like modern Steve Vai. I follow his musical development quite closely, and the way he played/composed those parts sounded like 2012-2016 Vai, not 1984ish, as I expected.

Well if you read the liner notes, I believe it's no secret that most of the soloing on this record (if not all) is new.

I like the blend tone of this album: it really is a melting of 80s and more recent stuff, a lot of the times within the songs themselves. This is not unlike some Zappa albums where he would have a similar aproach (adding new stuff to previous recordings).