Login with a social network:

It is currently Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:09 pm 

I do not see a post about it on the forum but I sure hope all Vai fans got to see Steve's performance of Hotel California and Life in the Fast Lane in honor of the The Eagles during the Kennedy Center awards broadcast. I had taped the show from last December and finally got around to watching it last night -- the full broadcast is so much better than the couple of snippets floating around on the web.

While the solo section of Hotel California was heavily edited (either in the score or for the broadcast) one of the highlights of the sound check at the PAW concert in Atlanta back in November was Steve working through the complete solo (both Walsh's and Felder's parts) and arranging the duel harmony ride-out for a single guitar. Steve had just found out that he was going to play at the ceremony and it was a lot of fun watching him work out a solo in real time that he clearly knew by ear but probably had not played in decades, if ever. Plus he made a few mistakes, false starts and re-starts -- maybe he is human after all!

And saving the best for last, Steve stole the show at the end of the group jam of Life in the Fast Lane. Steve hit his sustainer then strapped his guitar around Stephen Colbert and then played a solo from behind Colbert while Colbert also pretended to play and mugged for the camera. Hilarious! The crowd loved it! It also looked like Steve got in another solo at the very end but only the last flurry of tapped notes and Vai-noises made the broadcast.

Finally, the tributes and performances for the other honorees were thrilling and moving. Listening to Bonnie Raitt introduce Mavis Staples gave me chills.

Throughout the show there were several reaction shots of Steve in the audience and it looked like he was having the time of his life. I would love to have been there too.