The Official 'Secret Jewel Box' Thread

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Zongadude

Re: The Official 'Secret Jewel Box' Thread

#511 Post by Zongadude » Sun May 22, 2016 11:13 pm

I really don't see why Modern Primitive should be part of the SJB discs. It has never been announced as such.
A lot of Modern Primitive consists of new recordings, it contains singing parts by Devin Townsend (recently recorded also): what's all this got to do with The Classified ?

I think Modern Primitive and The Classified album are different projects.

rellimmas
Newcomer

#512 Post by rellimmas » Mon May 23, 2016 11:11 am

Zongadude wrote:I really don't see why Modern Primitive should be part of the SJB discs. It has never been announced as such.
A lot of Modern Primitive consists of new recordings, it contains singing parts by Devin Townsend (recently recorded also): what's all this got to do with The Classified ?

Hi Zongadude,

I don't think anybody is saying it SHOULD be part of the SJB discs. But I do think it is implied by the fact that the news of the release date was posted in the SJB thread. Also, if you visit the old mini site for the Box you'll see that they've renamed Disc 07 to 'Steve Vai & The Classified: Modern Primitive'.

If by any chance the Modern Primitive shipped with P&W 25th anniversary is a different disc, happy days! That just means more music. :)

My main point being that whatever is the 'Disc 07' of the SJB, I hope they stay true to the conventions of the box and the discs by adding the letters on the spine.

FYI Here is the link:

http://www.vai.com/minisites/boxset/10discs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers,
Sam.

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#513 Post by Jeroen » Mon May 23, 2016 11:25 am

There will be a separate disc with the appropriate artwork / letter on the spine later this year.

rellimmas
Newcomer

#514 Post by rellimmas » Mon May 23, 2016 11:44 am

Jeroen wrote:There will be a separate disc with the appropriate artwork / letter on the spine later this year.
Awesome. Thanks for clarifying, Jeroen.

KurtSS
Newcomer

#515 Post by KurtSS » Tue May 24, 2016 9:02 am

Jeroen wrote:There will be a separate disc with the appropriate artwork / letter on the spine later this year.

Jeroen, is it actually going to be the same disc(s) - just with different "box-specific" artwork? Or is there a different disc coming? I have the box and am just wondering whether to buy now or hold off?

Thanks,
Kurt

gregwurth
Newcomer

#516 Post by gregwurth » Tue May 24, 2016 2:39 pm

Zongadude wrote:I really don't see why Modern Primitive should be part of the SJB discs. It has never been announced as such.

I mentioned in a post a bit earlier in this thread but Modern Primitive IS The Classified album. Steve only had a handful of songs actually recorded from that era of which we pulled the master tapes and completed whatever parts were missing. As for the newly recorded songs, that was because the only versions that existed were from live recordings as Steve hadn't gotten a chance to record them properly in the studio until now. We called in Stu Hamm, Chris Frazier,Tommy Mars, & Sue Mathis (The entire Classified lineup) into the studio to capture those songs as they had played them back in the day. The release has a booklet that Steve wrote explaining each songs history so you'll have a more in depth understanding of the project. You have to understand that once Steve set his sights on the final song list for P&W he shelved the rest of the songs leaving them unfinished until now.

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#517 Post by Jeroen » Wed May 25, 2016 2:32 am

@Kurt: Same disc, different booklet. Probably.

Zongadude

#518 Post by Zongadude » Thu May 26, 2016 1:31 pm

Thank you so much EVERYONE for all this bunch of information :)

Loving it :guitar

jenarom

#519 Post by jenarom » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:26 am

I think this is great for the long time fans that bought the box years ago. Thanks!
Now, there are 3 discs left. Hot Chunks and two live Alcatrazz CDs (which I think is a bit of cheating :wink: ).

What about those new tracks that Mike Keneally recorded on piano several years ago? That could be the 9th disc (and make the live Alcatrazz one release instead of two).

ginsu777

#520 Post by ginsu777 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:14 am

Jeroen wrote:@Kurt: Same disc, different booklet. Probably.
If that's the case, I sincerely hope the SJB version of the CD art is provided as a digital download so we can print our own. I love my bro Steve, but I'm not buying the same disc twice for a different piece of paper.

ccristal
Newcomer

#521 Post by ccristal » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:13 am

Apologies if this has been asked before...
How will vai.com know who has purchased all the CDs in the SJB, in order to send them the free booklet?
I mean... people can buy those CD from different retailers, can't they? How can vai.com keep track of who purchased what?

Thanks!

Zongadude

#522 Post by Zongadude » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:07 pm

jenarom wrote:
What about those new tracks that Mike Keneally recorded on piano several years ago? That could be the 9th disc (and make the live Alcatrazz one release instead of two).
I'm not sure if the new piano reductions played by Mike were actually properly recorded. What I know is that a second album was planned, that Mike started working on some tracks for it, but then the project got shelved. Mike has played his solo arrangement of "Under it all" once or twice in concert, but I don't know if the actual recording of Volume 2 was ever started. Would guess no.

Tony S

#523 Post by Tony S » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:02 am

ccristal wrote:Apologies if this has been asked before...
How will vai.com know who has purchased all the CDs in the SJB, in order to send them the free booklet?
I mean... people can buy those CD from different retailers, can't they? How can vai.com keep track of who purchased what?

Thanks!
Maybe if and when the booklet is produced, it will be sent to all the original purchasers of the box itself ?

arainbow
Newcomer

#524 Post by arainbow » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:01 am

Hello!

I am the happy owner of THE SECRET JEWEL BOX by Steve Vai and the first five released CDs.
These CDs have on their end face of the letters: L, I, G, H and T, giving a whole word “LIGHT”.
My question: Do the following two released CDs (DISC 06: "Vai: Piano Reductions Vol. 1 - Performed by Mike Keneally " and DISC 07: "Steve Vai & The Classified: Modern Primitive") have also any letters and are these CD's released also in jewel case or in digipack? And one more question: When can be purchased DISC 07: "Steve Vai & The Classified: Modern Primitive" through Steve's official website and when can I get the 100-page booklet?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your prompt reply!

Best regards,
Aleksey

ArnieBall

#525 Post by ArnieBall » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:15 am

arainbow wrote:Hello!

My question: Do the following two released CDs (DISC 06: "Vai: Piano Reductions Vol. 1 - Performed by Mike Keneally " and DISC 07: "Steve Vai & The Classified: Modern Primitive") have also any letters and are these CD's released also in jewel case or in digipack?
The Vai: Piano Reductions Vol. 1 digipack has 'W/O' so it's following the word LIGHT.
I'd say we still need 4 CDs for HEAT.
I like the Piano Reductions packaging (digipack) a lot. though it doesn't fit with former releases..