VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:14 pm 
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

PSD wrote:
jhammondc wrote:
I would love some info the remaining releases. I have been waiting a long time to finish this collection. So, Any news?

No news is bad news. I'm a huge Vai fan as most know, but I feel like Steve let us down on this. I hope this thing hasn't been dropped altogether.

It hasn't been dropped. News will be posted when there's news to post.

Mikey
vai.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:19 am 

I've made a recent discovery. I thought I had read somewhere that Steve was re-releasing his Western Vacation album (expected date June 22, 2010) so I did a little digging on Amazon. I found another Archives album. This one is Vol. 3.5 and appears to expand on Vol. 3. It has all the same Mystery Tracks, but seems to add tracks from Western Vacation (?). Amazon states it was issued in 2003, but I didn't even see Mikey make mention of it here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29135&p=360655&hilit=mystery#p360655. Additionally, it is called Various Mysteries Vol. 3.5. and has a different cover color.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E4 ... 677&sr=8-1

I did a search on this forum and found no mention of this release, so forgive me if it's been previously addressed. Amazon has it for download only, so perhaps it was never a tangible (maybe unauthorized?) album.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:24 am 
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

It's not part of the box set.

Mikey
vai.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:04 am 

Man, I can't believe that it's been 7 years since this thread started. I wonder if this box set will ever get completed... I completely lost interest in it years ago. I hope something cool happens with it, because if not, I dont think I'll worry about completing it. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:25 am 

I think it's a great shame that many of us paid a lot of money for the box itself when it was first released, and were full of enthusiasm about it , looking forward to ending up with a FULL set of cds in the box, and are now losing that enthusiasm. Everything was great to start with, with each release coming out at fairly regular intervals. How long has it been now since the last release? 5, 6 years or so? With no confirmed news on when the next release will happen. Like the previous poster, I have to wonder if it will ever get finished. There must be a lot of people with a half full box set gathering dust somewhere, wondering when it can be returned to having pride of place in a collection, as a complete item !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:35 am 

Yeah, it's a damn shame....I remeber ordering it like the first or second day it came out through Vai.com, I don't think I've opened it in years....I got the impression that most of the cd's very finished then and they would just be periodically released within the next few years, I mean there was no real NEW music being released to speak of, so I don't know what happened there...but I recall a few of these sort of promising projects (wether videos, diaries etc.) throughout the years that were practically completed, sometimes almost right away, and then were never released to the public or canned for some reason....hope that this won't happen with the Vai-tunes this year, so far so good...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:37 pm 

I also was very enthusiastic about the box set and bought it as soon as it came out, as I did with the followup CDs.

It seems Steve has a lot ideas but they seem to get behind the new ones. The box set is a big example, but also think about the Real Illusions series, and the first iteration of Vaitunes.

Now that Vaitunes returned this year, after a rough start, we got several nice tracks, specially "The Moon and I", which really has become one of my favorites, but now, September came and went without the monthly release. There is even a tweet from Steve himself back from April 15th in which he says that he's working on track #6.

I really hope that Vaitunes does continue.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:33 pm 
Newcomer

I've made a pact with myself that I wouldn't buy anything else from Steve until I complete my box. At this point, looks like I'll never buy anything else from Steve... :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:56 am 

Quote:
I've made a pact with myself that I wouldn't buy anything else from Steve until I complete my box. At this point, looks like I'll never buy anything else from Steve...

Sorry but that really is a dumb ass comment .
so you are going to ignore any newer Steve Vai releases for the sake of older re-issues to go in the box set ??

DISC 07 & 08: "Alcatrazz: Panic Jungle [Live In Japan]" ... previously available as video

DISC 09: "Steve Vai & The Classified " ..... previously available as vinyl

DISC 10: "Hot Chunks" ..... unavailable

although i cant wait for the box set to be complete ..it will be done when its done .Im all for newer material from Steve myself ..and im quite positive Steve is more concerned about newer projects as well .

:headbang :guitar :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:24 am 
Newcomer

At least you're skilled in vulgar language. That's got to count for something, right? :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:47 pm 

Yeah, not the best word choice there, but atleast he wasn't refering to anyone but the idea itself, which I have to agree is a pretty silly thing to do...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:43 am 
Newcomer

Then we'll have to agree to disagree.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:08 pm 

R1FSR wrote:
Quote:
I've made a pact with myself that I wouldn't buy anything else from Steve until I complete my box. At this point, looks like I'll never buy anything else from Steve...

Sorry but that really is a dumb ass comment .
so you are going to ignore any newer Steve Vai releases for the sake of older re-issues to go in the box set ??

DISC 07 & 08: "Alcatrazz: Panic Jungle [Live In Japan]" ... previously available as video

DISC 09: "Steve Vai & The Classified " ..... previously available as vinyl

DISC 10: "Hot Chunks" ..... unavailable

although i cant wait for the box set to be complete ..it will be done when its done .Im all for newer material from Steve myself ..and im quite positive Steve is more concerned about newer projects as well .

:headbang :guitar :mrgreen:

Odd... http://www.vai.com/boxset/10discs.html says "The Classified" is unreleased.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:41 am 

In the Interview with Steve part of the Jewel Box pages it says this;

Quote:
The internet presale on Vai.com began on October 22, 2001, and The Secret Jewel Box was released December 11, 2001.

The Box ships with three discs inside [The Elusive Light and Sound; Alcatrazz Disturbing the Peace, and Archives Vol. 2 - Original Recordings of Frank Zappa,] and the remaining 7 CDs will be released and sold separately over the next couple of years.

I'm sure this is what most of us who signed up for the box set were hoping for or expecting. A couple of other quotes mention "the next few years". Even if it had been one cd per year released that wouldn't have been too bad. But such a long gap since the last one has resulted in people losing interest, and that is a great shame.

Sure it's great to look forward to new stuff, but we paid a lot of money for this box, and just want to know that it will be completed !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:06 am 

Wow. The last release for the SJB was Keneally's Piano Reductions in 2004 which was almost seven years ago. I haven't been on this message board in quite a while so perhaps I missed something here.

I have a few questions in regards to the Secret Jewel Box...

Are the remaining CDs already completed for eventual release?

Has this project been abandoned altogether?

Are there legal or licensing issues holding back further releases?

Have there been changes to what Steve Vai may or may not include for the rest of the box set (assuming that there are still plans to complete this set)?

Jeroen, Mikey, Steve Himself?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next