VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:45 am 

Bryceybhoy wrote:
Disaster is perhaps a harsh description BBB. I think Mikey mentioned previously that problems with copywrite etc for other artists were dragging things.
Perhaps I am being harsh, but would you say its 'good'? I see other artists do much simpler versions that appear well received by their fans and are available in HMV et al.
Bryceybhoy wrote:
I'm disappointed about the box set too, though. Whatever happened to the booklet that we were all going to get when the box set was finished? Is this still in the pipeline?
Well if it ever gets finished maybe we'll get the booklet.

Bryceybhoy wrote:
I'm sure we'll see two more box set CDs this year.
Do you know something I don't? I seem to remember that Mike Keneally was doing another piano reductions but what's the other one supposed to be? It just seems that Steve is happier doing other projects and I'm happy for that to be the case, but I feel we should be told if the Jewel Box has been all but abandoned.

Bryceybhoy wrote:
Would rather have Real Illusions II, though (but that's just me).
Yes, I'm totally with you on that one. RI II would be great and I'd prefer new material to rehashed old stuff.
Bryceybhoy wrote:
And a new DVD....Not to mention the Real Illusions DVD...
Perhaps an ALS-type album written, mixed and record in two weeks...(don't ask, don't get)...
There's only so much one man can do alone. Steve has taken on a huge commitment with all this. I really hope he can deliver.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:11 am 

Breeder wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:
'lounge lizard' piano interpretations of Vai's wonderful music! I can see one CD of that might be interesting but no more please!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Broaden your horizons man, guitar music isn't the only style nor is Vai the only genius in that field and music in general

Leave him alone his horizon stretches from Coldplay to Phil Collins!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:31 am 
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Forgive my forth rightness here, but the 'Secret Jewel Box' looks somewhat half-arsed as it is, so a few half-arsed CDs with any Vai stuff would be better at this stage than nothing.

Bill, while I hear you on some of your points (and do note that they are being heard), I can't let your last line slip.

I'd like you to quantify "half-arsed CDs".

There is nothing half-arsed about three compilation CDs of previously unreleased or hard-to-find material. They each represent patience, considerable expense and countless hours dealing with licensing and legal to be able to assemble each CD.

Like the Piano CD or not, it also represents great effort to accomplish and make real. It certainly wasn't recorded in a half-arsed way.

And the Alcatrazz CD? Well, you knew that was part of the package (as you did with the content of every CD to come in the box set.)

Let's not get overly dramatic...

Mikey
vai.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:11 pm 

boswell wrote:
Breeder wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:
'lounge lizard' piano interpretations of Vai's wonderful music! I can see one CD of that might be interesting but no more please!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Broaden your horizons man, guitar music isn't the only style nor is Vai the only genius in that field and music in general

Leave him alone his horizon stretches from Coldplay to Phil Collins!

oh :shock: :shock:
I sincerely apologize :oops: :oops:

Last edited by Breeder on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:12 pm 

Big Bad Bill wrote:

Anyway, didn't your mother tell you to have respect for such people? :wink: I will accept a cash apology

now now, you ain`t that old nor I am that young :P :P
:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:36 am 

Mikey wrote:
I'd like you to quantify "half-arsed CDs".
I concede that statement was made in irritation and I withdraw it unreservedly. I personally find the piano reductions less interesting, but that's my taste and that should not reflect upon their actual artistic credibility.

I suppose I should've said the execution of a brilliant concept has been marred by the duration over which it is taking place. Perhaps Steve should only whet our appetites about a new, exciting and difficult project once it is near completion to avoid disappointment.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:55 am 

at the end of the day i think we are all greedy for more Vai stuff ..new,old,hard to get or unreleased...as for half assed i dont think steve has done anything half assed... i also dont think BBB meant it as such either.
being to told what to expect in the set then having to wait is a bit like the ol carrot dangling trick lol ...a little cruel lol .

as with everything else steve does tho it will be worth the wait .

:headbang

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:44 am 

so leave the guy to do his thing the way he feels is best...if Steve needs another 4 years thats cool with me...this is MUSIC we are talking about, not some soap opera :guitar :guitar :guitar
And until that glorious day comes find something new and exiciting (and yes BBB, that means turning your self into musical compost :P :lol: :lol: )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:26 am 

Breeder wrote:
so leave the guy to do his thing the way he feels is best...if Steve needs another 4 years thats cool with me...this is MUSIC we are talking about, not some soap opera :guitar :guitar :guitar
Two words 'Chinese' and 'Democracy'! The longer its left the greater the expectation and thus the greater the potential disappointment. Chinese Democracy did in fact turn into a soap opera!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:35 am 

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Breeder wrote:
Two words 'Chinese' and 'Democracy'! The longer its left the greater the expectation and thus the greater the potential disappointment. Chinese Democracy did in fact turn into a soap opera!

not a very good one at that lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:35 am 

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Chinese Democracy did in fact turn into a soap opera!

Thanks to who?! :P :P
...fans anyone...??

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:35 am 

Big Bad Bill wrote:

Not to mention Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:50 pm 

BBB, have you even listened to the secret jewel box cd yet?? u act like u have no idea what the other cds are going to be.
just a question.
oh and fail on the chinese deomcracy comparison. and chinese democracy is by far the best thing gnr ever released.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:50 pm 

double post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:46 pm 

I'm disappointed by the slowness thing too, but I'd much rather Steve took his time getting things right.

I love the Keneally Piano Reductions. He "gets" Vai's music in a very convincing way and his ability, phrasing and sense of whimsy make that CD really work.

But I would love to hear Tony MacAlpine take a shot at a few of those tunes too. The contrast between MK & T-Mac would be quite stark, methinks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 33  Next