VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: 10,000 boxes?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:29 pm 

HeBoMan wrote:
Still, there is one thing with the Box that puzzles me. Back then, in 2001, the SJB was announced as a limited edition of only 10,000 pieces so that I started worrying that I wouldn't be in time to get one. I checked out vai.com regularly and when the online sale started in December 2001, I immediateley ordered one. I was happy to be in time and my SJB was neatly delivered here in Europe. To my suprise, apparently the Box is still available right now. And I just thought that 10,000 was really a limited number with all these fans there all over the globe. So my question is: have the sales of the Box been so disappointing or are we die-hard fans a little "cheated" thinking we bought something unique while there were many more Boxes made in reality? :?:
Henk, the Netherlands.

and also how do the box set sales compare to normal album sales?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:50 pm 
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

HeBoMan wrote:
Still, there is one thing with the Box that puzzles me. Back then, in 2001, the SJB was announced as a limited edition of only 10,000 pieces so that I started worrying that I wouldn't be in time to get one. I checked out vai.com regularly and when the online sale started in December 2001, I immediateley ordered one. I was happy to be in time and my SJB was neatly delivered here in Europe. To my suprise, apparently the Box is still available right now. And I just thought that 10,000 was really a limited number with all these fans there all over the globe. So my question is: have the sales of the Box been so disappointing or are we die-hard fans a little "cheated" thinking we bought something unique while there were many more Boxes made in reality? :?:
Henk, the Netherlands.

There were only 10,000 boxes made. It is "Limited Edition". It would be false advertising for us to say that there were only 10,000 made, but then print more.

In fact, the initial demand for the box set exceeded the first production run on 5000, and at one point, we stopped taking orders until the second run of 5000 was finished being printed and built.

There are still some available, however I don't have numbers on the remaining stock. I would imagine that there anen't many left, however sales of the box set are probably slower now than they were when it was first released. That will probably change once the next CDs are released.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:23 pm 

[/quote]and also how do the box set sales compare to normal album sales?[/quote]

I have heard from other artists that with box sets, you are lucky if 5% of your fan base that buy your albums will buy your box set. They are really for the "die hard" fans who just want your complete catalogue of music.

With this in mind, if Steve has a fan base of maybe 100 000 fans who regularly buy his CD's, selling 5000 box sets might be expected. This is probably why they sold out the first 5000 run-off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:29 am 

OK, Mikey and Guitar Wizard. Thank you for your reactions. The good news is that I don't need to worry anymore that I wouldn't be in time to order the next CD's (which I will do asap still :D ).
Cheers, Henk, the Netherlands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 10:01 pm 

Quote:
With this in mind, if Steve has a fan base of maybe 100 000 fans who regularly buy his CD's, selling 5000 box sets might be expected. This is probably why they sold out the first 5000 run-off.

Is that all?? I think there are a lot more... Maybe 1 million fans?? He amazingly HUGE in Japan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:12 pm 
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

The Secret Jewel Box - Archives Vol. 3 and 4:

The next installments of The Secret Jewel Box Set - 'Archives, Volume 3: Mystery Tracks' and 'Archives, Volume 4: Various Artists' will be exclusively released through Vai.com on Steve's birthday, June 6, 2003.

Archives Vol. 3 is a compilation of Steve's bonus tracks featured on Japanese releases of his CDs, along with promotional tracks, songs featured on other albums and unreleased/demo tracks.

Tracklisting:
01. Speed
02. Just Cartilage
03. San-San-Nana-Byoushi
04. Sofa
05. Essence
06. Wipeout 2000
07. Feathers
08. Opposites Attract Part 1
09. Misfits
10. Selfless Love
11. Maple Leafs (Song for Canada)
12. The Murder
13. Opposites Attract Part 2 (The Indulgent Version)

Archives Vol. 4 is a collection of songs Vai has contributed to other projects and records including Public Image Ltd., tracks from the Hendrix tribute In From The Storm with the London Symphony Orchestra, and a collaboration with Chick Corea from The Songs Of West Side Story , among others.

Tracklisting:
01. Sweet Lady Luck (Whitesnake)
02. Rumble (Various Artists - The Songs of West Side Story )
03. Ease (Public Image Limited - Compact Disc )
04. Home (Public Image Limited - Compact Disc )
05. Western Vacation (Western Vacation - Western Vacation )
06. Noah's Ark (Gregg Bissonette - Submarine )
07. Drifting (Various Artists - In From the Storm )
08. Bold As Love (Various Artists - In From the Storm )
09. There's Still Hope (Bob Harris - The Great Nostalgia )
10. Autumn In Nepal (Bob Harris - The Great Nostalgia )
11. Feed My Frankenstein (Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid )
12. Der Holle Rache [Queen Of The Night] - (Various Artists - Angelica )
13. Gone (Lilly)

The CDs will be available only through Vai.com's Online Store, so don't miss out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:31 pm 

Will there be a pre-order?

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:41 pm 

Awesome news ! :D
What's Essence? :shock: Never heard of that one! And there's a Cliffs of Insanity pt 2, holy shit! \m/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:53 pm 
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

'Essence' is 'Cliffs of Insanity' - slightly remixed. It's one of my personal new faves (along with Feathers). Steve said he felt the name "Essence" better suited how the track made him feel.

Don't know what you mean about Cliffs of Insanity pt 2 though? :D

Many of the tracks have been completely re-mastered. 'Just Cartilage' sounds completely amazing on this disc. It just has so much punch to it!

- Mikey :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:03 am 

Oh ok, I just thought that Cliffs had actually become Opposites Attract Part 1 as it's next to Misfits. So that leads me to my next question, what the hell is Opposites Attract? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:11 am 
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

'Opposites Attract' was originally recorded for Morley to demonstrate the Bad Horsie pedal. The track 'Bad Squad' is essentailly a simpler version of 'Opposites Attract'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:35 am 

Great news! Lots of this stuff I haven't heard before so I'm psyched! I knew "Feathers" would be a "seventh song" and I'll be glad to have it on disc!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:32 am 

<<The next installments of The Secret Jewel Box Set will be exclusively released through Vai.com on Steve's birthday, June 6, 2003 >>

What a great news! June 6 is also my B'day :arrow: those CDs will be the perfect gift :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:54 am 

Wasn't one of the 7th tracks supposed to be called I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth? Would have been cool :lol:

Anyway, now that it's clear the CDs won't be generally released, how can I pay the money from Germany? I don't have a credit card (I know you can't imagine this in the US :wink: ) so I actually don't even think it will be possible at all. Do I have to hope in eBay again or is there another chance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:18 am 

Great news...but i was REALLY lookin' forward to hearing Vai's renditions of Zappa's "Can't Afford No Shoes" and "I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth". I've heard through the internet grape-vine that his version of "Can't Afford.." is an absolute mind-blower. I already own "Dirty Love" from the Zappa's Universe album so no loss there. "Funk Me Tender" also is gone, too bad. But the inclusion of "Noah's Ark" is cool and same with the Bad Horsie stuff, plus a few others that i'm haven't heard of like, Misfits? or Gone?. Anyway...

Last edited by Mr. Canadian on Wed May 21, 2003 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33  Next