The Official 'Secret Jewel Box' Thread

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Henrique Henriques

I've got my archives...I've got my Jewel box....
I am "so happy!"

:D :D :D :D :D :D

I think steve's work with whitesnake is the best hard-rock stuff that I ever heard! Guitar and vocal wise!! 8)

Hey Steve may I name my Hard-Rock Band "Reckless Fable"?

Peace!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Spudster
Newcomer

I can't believe there is a "secret" in the box. I've had this box since the very first run and now I've got to go home and tamper with the box - should be interesting. I also got my lad playing with the plectrum - he's 18 months -now it's vanished (he didn't swallow it), he's hidden it somewhere!! Luckily I still have the other two and I keep the box out of reach - much to his displeasure.

BTW I'm looking forward to the Mike Keneally piano renditions of Steve's music, that should be brilliant if it comes off.
coypu
Newcomer

RAI wrote:DLR was different, as he wrote most of it, and thereby put his stamp on it.
I was surprised to see that there won't be any of DLR material included. Presumably contract stuff...

Also, why wasn't "The 7th Song" part of the set? Particularly because it IS part of the Archives series...

Still, utterly wonderful stuff :D
BigBadBill
Newcomer

Hey, are anyone else as moved by this song as I am? Just an absolutely stunningly beautiful song!
fyrie

BigBadBill wrote:Hey, are anyone else as moved by this song as I am? Just an absolutely stunningly beautiful song!
Oh yeah. I love feathers. It is one of my favorite Vai songs. It is amazing how cool he can make a cheesy fx processor sound.
Bono

Yo guys, I got a quick question...

I live in the UK and I was wondering how long does it usually take to ship? Has anyone from the UK bought one? Also, I read something about that 100 page booklet you get with it after all the cd's are released...do you only get that if you buy them all off the website? It would be cheaper for me to buy them off a UK based website, but I guess I'd pay a little extra in order to get the book.
NickLam
Newcomer

Hi, Nicholas from Singapore here, just got to this msg board.

Anyway, I was wondering if Vai.com will be selling the current and future archives on other online cd merchants such as Guitar9.com.

I put my order with musictoday on the date the archives were released, but there was a big fuss about card acceptance from Singapore, and they didn't notify me for about 6 weeks that my order was refused. Eventually, I had to email them about it and wait about 3 weeks before the first reply came, blaming me for not reading their policy.

I found it ridiculous as it wasn't prominently shown, nor was I informed at time of purchase when I gave my address, nor was there any follow-up email when any musictoday staff reviewed my order. Furthermore, I had ordered the Box Set before without problems, and my shipping and billing address was the same (Billing address can be confirmed by calling the card processing facility Musictoday is using).

I understand the need for fraud protection, but they required me to fax my card statement to them to confirm my card wasn't fraudulent. I offered to send a digital picture with selected numbers blocked out (Security reasons) and I got no reply.

After much argument on my part, they agreed to go thru on my order but requested for my order number (Which I previously gave them), and other info pertaining to my order. Wondering how safe my credit card info was in their hands, it was too much for me to take and I refused to buy from them.

Another thing that annoyed me immensely was that it took them 8 to 10 days on average to reply to my email. Also, they banned my IP from entering their site without informing me why I was banned.

Thankfully, Archives 3 can now be bought from Amazon, but not archives 4, or future releases. Is there any way Vai.com can sell the future releases with other merchants so that us, willing buyers have a choice to purchase from vendors that we feel offer a better service? I would really like to buy the Archives 4.

I hope this is not violating forum rules, as this is a personal experience and I am relating my negative experience with the merchant. A previous email requesting assistance sent to vai.com has gone answered and I have no other aveneue.

Thanks for reading and I hope Vai.com can help.
Bono

Yo guys
I just recieved the Secret Jewel Box with all 5 cds. I live in the UK and didn't have to pay any customs tax...was this a mistake? (Not that i'm complaining) :D
GuitarStrings

I don't have any credit card, can anybody tell me how to order the box from MusicToday without credit card?
I am desperate... :cry:
Thank you very much.
GS
Iav Oris Evets

GuitarStrings wrote:I don't have any credit card, can anybody tell me how to order the box from MusicToday without credit card?
I am desperate... :cry:
Thank you very much.
GS

You can pay by Check or money order. Print out this form from their site.

http://stores.musictoday.com/Store/mt_orderform.pdf

(you can send me my 10 % consulting fee in the mail... :lol: )
Guitar Wizard

Question to Mikey-

On the Updates News page you say on September 30, 2003: Archives Vol. 3 is now available in stores! Archives Vol. 4 will be in stores in Spring 2004.

I haven't bought either one yet but what CD stores are they in / will be in? Tower, HMV, ?

Also, are they available in other countries than the US "now" or in the future? In a previous post you said they would only be available through the vai.com store at www.musictoday.com .

Thanks,
Moderator777

Volume 3 is available on Amazon.com.

--------------
Liels paldies,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
Guitar Wizard

Moderator777 wrote:Volume 3 is available on Amazon.com.

--------------
Liels paldies,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
Oh, I thought that he meant in "mortor and brick" stores not "interent" stores. Thanks for the answer Mod 777. :)

(Edit: I just bought it on amazon.ca. Thanks for the help again. It still cost me CAN $29.00 though, 20.99 plus S & H and taxes. I really wanted to buy it in person to save the shipping B.S. and currency coversion B.S. with musictoday.com. It would cost me over CAN $40.00 to buy from them.)
Snow

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I don't want to read all the subjects.

So anyway, I ordered these archives vol3 & 4 via http://www.vai.com. And today I found out that on a website http://www.cdon.com has these albums also. As I found in the elusive light and sound, the cd which was sould through vai.com looked different than the cd which was sold in normal record stores. So are the archives all the same or are they slightly different?

Warm Regards, Snow.
RAI

For right now, the only one that is different is "The Elusive Light & Sound".
The box has a "plain" cover, while the general release has the "3-D".
The rest are the same.....