The Official 'Secret Jewel Box' Thread

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
TheRocKsTaR777

Mikey is there any pics of the secret jewel box ? I dont think i've ever seen a picture of it !
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Yes - in the Vai.com Discography.

Mikey :)
vai.com
chingue
Newcomer

no news yet?
(sorry if i'm so insistent)
kestrou
Newcomer

Just checking in too...

I'm a big VAI fan, but this is the thread that interests me most so it's the one I keep coming back to every few months.

Somebody throw us a bone here! :)

kestrou
kestrou
Newcomer

Bumpity!

Any news on the rest of The Secret Jewel Box?!

kestrou
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

When a new release is announced it will be sent out in our email newsletter and will also appear on the newspage of Vai.com.

Right now Steve is mixing the Minneapolis DVD - so the Jewel Box is not being worked on right now.

Mikey
vai.com
P-chy
Newcomer

oh thanks Mikey... cant wait :D
Brakkum

Mikey wrote:When a new release is announced it will be sent out in our email newsletter and will also appear on the newspage of Vai.com.

Right now Steve is mixing the Minneapolis DVD - so the Jewel Box is not being worked on right now.

Mikey
vai.com
that's what i like to hear, can't wait!
Tony S

Looks like we still have a long wait till the next installment then if it is not being worked on at present. 4 years have gone since Piano Reductions was released now. :(
Big Bad Bill

My other half was questioning me the other day about the 'Secret Jewel Box' that sits on a shelf collecting dust, and asking what was happening about it. She had the audacity to suggest that its looking increasingly like a 'white elephant' and I'm embarrassed to say I think she could be correct. It was once going to be the definitive collection of Vai rarities and interesting stuff, housed in a lovely totally unique box complete with a twinkling ballerina spinning slowly around when you opened it. Instead the box is rather cheap looking, bits keep falling off it and all are promised are 'lounge lizard' piano interpretations of Vai's wonderful music! I can see one CD of that might be interesting but no more please! I really think Steve should either officially abandon it and put us out of our misery, or turn it over to one of his trusty colleagues to simply put out anything that we devoted Vai fans might be amused or interested by. Forgive my forth rightness here, but the 'Secret Jewel Box' looks somewhat half-arsed as it is, so a few half-arsed CDs with any Vai stuff would be better at this stage than nothing.
RAI

RAI wrote: Well, I believe the Alcatrazz CD has been ready for quite some time now. The last I heard, Steve was re-recording some guitar parts for it, and this was back when Rich Pike was still in charge of things. Sounds to me like "Panic Jungle!" could have been released a long time ago.......

But, like everybody else, I am patiently waiting.

Patiently waiting.
Still.
Breeder

Big Bad Bill wrote: 'lounge lizard' piano interpretations of Vai's wonderful music! I can see one CD of that might be interesting but no more please!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Bill all though you seem like a nice and intelligent guy (much older too than I am judging by your posts) but I have to say you are pretty limited in music...there are more "genres" you could ever imagine
Broaden your horizons man, guitar music isn't the only style nor is Vai the only genius in that field and music in general
Big Bad Bill

Breeder wrote::roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Bill all though you seem like a nice and intelligent guy (much older too than I am judging by your posts) but I have to say you are pretty limited in music...there are more "genres" you could ever imagine
Broaden your horizons man, guitar music isn't the only style nor is Vai the only genius in that field and music in general
I have no idea what you're talking about I'm afraid.

For clarification, I'm suggesting that one CD of piano interpretations of Steve's music is interesting and valuable whereas two is just filling in the box set space- not what I'd expect from Steve-ie. repeating himself. A Tibetan Nose flute interpretation would be more in keeping with his ethos.

I do have a reasonably wide range of musical tastes, but I'm not 'musical compost' as some people seem to be-plant any music in them and they rant and rave about it regardless. The point is, we the die hard fans, bought the jewel box with the expectation, at the very least, of having it filled in reasonable time and, at best, with fascinating unusual, diverse, archive Vai material. This happened at first but now it seems to have all but stuttered to a standstill while other projects are conceived, planned, executed and released in multi formats suggesting the box set is dead! The Box Set has been a disaster and I think Steve bit off more than he could chew.

As for being older and intelligent...I doubt the latter. Anyway, didn't your mother tell you to have respect for such people? :wink: I will accept a cash apology.
Bryceybhoy

Disaster is perhaps a harsh description BBB. I think Mikey mentioned previously that problems with copywrite etc for other artists were dragging things.

I'm disappointed about the box set too, though. Whatever happened to the booklet that we were all going to get when the box set was finished? Is this still in the pipeline?

I'm sure we'll see two more box set CDs this year.

Would rather have Real Illusions II, though (but that's just me).

And a new DVD....
Not to mention the Real Illusions DVD...
Perhaps an ALS-type album written, mixed and record in two weeks...(don't ask, don't get)...
sonny sixshooter

Big Bad Bill wrote:For clarification, I'm suggesting that one CD of piano interpretations of Steve's music is interesting and valuable whereas two is just filling in the box set space- not what I'd expect from Steve-ie. repeating himself. A Tibetan Nose flute interpretation would be more in keeping with his ethos.[/color]
Two? Is there another piano thing in the works or did I miss something?