VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:42 pm 
Newcomer

Check out this exclusive interview with Vai where he discusses his 8th studio album, his work with Zappa, and his affinity for Tom Waits.

Bonus! Steve is an avid bee keeper and a fan of flowers.. who knew?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:52 pm 

About that second line .. most of us here, I'd wager. :p

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:40 am 

Thank you, that was nice reading.

Some of the answers I particularly enjoy are when Steve dissolves some of the ideas that people may have of him.

You released a compilation album of ballads, The Seventh Son, which collected the seventh tracks on past albums. What is the significance of the number seven—and the seventh track—on your previous albums and the seventh track on this album, the celtic ballad "Mullach A'tSi"?

Well, in the early days of metaphysical meandering, I came across all sorts of interesting things like numerology and astrology. I discovered quickly that all that stuff resonates at a pretty low level of where I want to go. To me, it’s a deterrent. Numbers mean nothing to me, they really don’t. But the seventh position on a record always felt extremely comfortable to me for that particular type of song. If you are into numerology, the number seven has quite a mystique to it. But you know, I get questions all the time, “Are you into this? Are you a member of the illuminati or the Free Masons?” No, I don’t do any of that stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:13 am 
Newcomer

anuj wrote:
About that second line .. most of us here, I'd wager. :p

Anuj, right on -- a little tongue in cheek never hurt anyone :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:25 pm 
Newcomer

Samuele wrote:
Thank you, that was nice reading.

Some of the answers I particularly enjoy are when Steve dissolves some of the ideas that people may have of him.

You released a compilation album of ballads, The Seventh Son, which collected the seventh tracks on past albums. What is the significance of the number seven—and the seventh track—on your previous albums and the seventh track on this album, the celtic ballad "Mullach A'tSi"?

Well, in the early days of metaphysical meandering, I came across all sorts of interesting things like numerology and astrology. I discovered quickly that all that stuff resonates at a pretty low level of where I want to go. To me, it’s a deterrent. Numbers mean nothing to me, they really don’t. But the seventh position on a record always felt extremely comfortable to me for that particular type of song. If you are into numerology, the number seven has quite a mystique to it. But you know, I get questions all the time, “Are you into this? Are you a member of the illuminati or the Free Masons?” No, I don’t do any of that stuff.

Samuele, thanks! We enjoyed his honestly and candor during this interview too.