VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: It's a Fine Line
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:38 pm 

Hey all,

Firstly let me apologize if this is in the wrong forum area, but at Steve's Masterclass in Perth (ages ago), there was one question I was dying to ask him, but just didn't get the opportunity. Too many people wanted to know things like his favourite colour, what type of fan he uses on stage, etc, etc. Anyway, I guess this is the only potential way I can get this answered by him.........and as much as I would truly like his take on this, I'm sure some of my fellow vai-ites will throw their two cents in. ;)

I'm going to make this as brief as I can.

As a musician (guitar, singer/songwriter, piano, sax) I spend my life writing, recording, performing, and promoting my music......as musicians do. :) I think my music is good (of course), and I do as much as I can to promote it. Despite these efforts, my music and my band's music seems to elude any tangible success. My question is this:

How do you identify when either
A: You aren't promoting the music/band effectively or enough.
or
B: The music just isn't that good and no one besides the writer will like/appreciate it.

I know I made mention of seeking success, and I'm not worried much about clarifying the definition of this. I'm more interested in discussing the fine line between ineffective promotion, or promoting a lost cause.

Given that Steve talked at length about the music business and certainly could be considered successful, I would have loved to get his insight on this.

Cheers,
J

Post subject: Re: It's a Fine Line
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:07 pm 

I don't think there is such thing as promoting "enough"

If you look at people like Madonna, She's had a 30+ year career in music, and still promotes herself- deep down she still has that intrinsic self promoting drive.

Lady Gaga...too

I'm a 27 year old rock music fan, so I'm not in Justin Bieber's target demographic-- but I did watch his movie 'Never Say Never" and also another 2 hour documatary (I think on NBC going over his European tour)

I've never seen anyone work harder...
He is successful- but he works harder than probably any local band I've ever seen and 90% of the bands out there.

He's earned everything he has...and most rock bands have a lot to learn from him.

And the second part of your question...
The music business doesn't make money on most long term artists-
they need HITS
BIG HITS

Call Me Maybe in a summer makes record companies more money than your average band with many albums over years with moderate success.

So my advice (I'm not Steve Vai) is write hits and make STRONG MATERIAL

Look into publishing...write hits for youself- or write them for other people...
Record companies are always seeking HITS.

If you write a hit it will be successful

(All of this basically is summed up from the many notable/famous musicians I have paid HUNDREDS of dollars an HOUR to- to sit in their living room or studio and ask them 'this is what i want to do- this is what i want to be as a musician/guitarist- how do i do it')

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:14 am 

wtf.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:33 am 

...?