VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:39 am 

Which Budo did you study, Kim?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 am 
Newcomer

Quite a few forms: judo, aikido, boxing, thai boxing, tai chi chuan, traditional kenjutsu in Tesshu's style and chi gong. Recently yi quan. Thank you for asking.

Just to let everyone know, I'm trying to get the book to Steve for his opinion. People from traditional zen and art background, as well as those from meditation, have been very satisfied and happy about it. I hope it is a pleasure to Steve's fans too.

I don't mean to be arrogant (SugarNips) or step on anyones toes. I have mady my decisions about the publication and that is that. If Steve himself will say that's it's something he doesn't want to be involved with, then I'll withdraw the book. Hope you all read it with open mind. There's no need to become tense about such matters. It's only an ebook for christ's sake...

I might be wrong in my desicions based on my intuition and it might turn out other way. That would be all right. Until then, I've tried my best with the book, in all ways, and people seem to be very happy with it, glad that I wrote and published it.

So peace and love and happiness stuff to all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:33 am 

RE : Photos/images ....

Who owns the copyright on photographs?
Under law, it is the photographer who will own copyright on any photos he/she has taken, with the following exceptions:

If the photographer is an employee of the company the photos are taken for, or is an employee of a company instructed to take the photos, the photographer will be acting on behalf of his/her employer, and the company the photographer works for will own the copyright.
If there is an agreement that assigns copyright to another party.
In all other cases, the photographer will retain the copyright, if the photographer has been paid for his work, the payment will be for the photographer’s time and typically an allocated number of prints. The copyright to the photos will remain with the photographer, and therefore any reproduction without permission would be an infringement of copyright.

Using the work of others
As with all copyright work, you should first obtain permission from the copyright owner before you use someone else’s work.You should also be prepared to pay a fee, as many photographers will charge you for using their work.

Only the copyright owner, (or his/her authorised representative), can give permission, so you should contact the photographer, or his/her company, directly for consent. For images published on the Internet, it is typical to contact the webmaster of the site in the first instance, unless the site provides contact details for the owner of the images.

The copyright owner has no obligation to allow you to use their work, and can refuse permission for any reason.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kim wrote:
If Steve himself will say that's it's something he doesn't want to be involved with, then I'll withdraw the book.

Sorry to say, but this is the wrong way around. You're now forcing Steve to either spent time reading it and making an assessment if he wants his words out there like that in your context, or ignore it and live with the situation that may not represent what he truly feels / wants to put out there.

I'm sorry, but if you want to write a book using someones name and quotes, feed of someones good name and fame, and trying to make a buck off it, it's pretty lame to do so retroactively.

I'm sure you all mean it in the best possible way, but that doesn't exempt you from going about it in the correct way.

J

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:48 am 

I just had a quick look at your webpage advertising the book. You are clearly trying to profit from Steve's name by putting a donate button right before the download link. If you want to put a donate button somewhere else on your website, to help your running costs (the main page, for example), that is fine. You've done very little to enamour people here I'm afraid. I can't wish you luck with it.

That's my last word on this topic - honest! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:21 am 
Newcomer

Oh yes, I'm making a lot dollars with Steve's fame and gaining popularity myself. Yes, indeed. :roll:

So far there are about 1000 downloads. You'd probably think that if people donate 3 euros or dollars each it would add up to around 3000 euros or 4000 USD. Well, that's not quite how it goes, ever. If I wanted to make money with this, I wouldn't have put it in an open link. At the site, it clearly says that the donation is optional. I've received exactly 15 euros, somewhat 20 USD, of donations all together. But to me that is all right because my intention was never to make money with this project. I wanted to write the book because I felt there might be people who want to know these things and there are. I've received thank you notes from several readers.

If you don't wish me luck with it, that's fine. There are always people who disregard what is meaningful and concentrate on things that are meaningless. Good luck with that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:09 pm 

I think the best thing to do is just take Steve's name off this. It might just be best. Ill read the book myself, and I know you meant well by it. Contests on the book, think its good to take his name off, I'm off this thread now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:38 pm 

wouldnt it be nice if steve just wrote a quick line on this thread to say which way kim should go .I dont think kim means any harm ,in fact probably quite the opposite.
as for going about things the write way ,this is steves site after all and us the common folk mostly would have no idea what the right way is ,where do you start .

come on steve give this chick a break dude ,..:-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:12 pm 
Newcomer

tommyd48 wrote:
come on steve give this chick a break dude ,..:-)[/color]

Whatta... This chick is bald-headed and bearded :lol: In Scandinavia (northern Europe) and Asia, Kim is mans name too. I've tried to get the message of my book to Steve through several channels but no reply so far. He's on tour now so he's very busy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:44 am 
Newcomer

Just letting you all know that I've received a message from Andy (along with his kind donation) who promised to pass the book to Steve :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:13 am 

Hi all,

I've been following this thread and wanted to share where Steve stands on it. Historically, using an artist's likeness or image in a product without permission, in this case Steve's, is usually a no-no. However, Steve saw it and is permitting Babananda (Kim) to proceed. As a side note, I purchased the PDF and began reading it. It's well-written and introduces spiritual concepts that people may find interesting. There's a donation aspect as well. Good luck to Babanada and if there are future inquiries about using Steve's image, send me a PM. It's much better to ask for permission up front.

So how is everyone doing? Did you see the N.A. Tour?! Who is going to see Steve in Europe? Do you think the precepts in this PDF play into Steve's new record and the live shows?

-Andy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:57 am 

mach1andy wrote:
Hi all,

I've been following this thread and wanted to share where Steve stands on it. Historically, using an artist's likeness or image in a product without permission, in this case Steve's, is usually a no-no. However, Steve saw it and is permitting Babananda (Kim) to proceed. As a side note, I purchased the PDF and began reading it. It's well-written and introduces spiritual concepts that people may find interesting. There's a donation aspect as well. Good luck to Babanada and if there are future inquiries about using Steve's image, send me a PM. It's much better to ask for permission up front.

So how is everyone doing? Did you see the N.A. Tour?! Who is going to see Steve in Europe? Do you think the precepts in this PDF play into Steve's new record and the live shows?

-Andy

Congrats kim!!!

I did see steve in the NA tour. it was the best day of my life so far. it was so amazing to finally see The Vai playing live. it was a great show, tons of fun, and really funny when jeremy brought out the "strap on" ( ;) ). so andy... now that steve is on tour, what are you doing? Are you with him? or did you stay in California?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:03 am 
Newcomer

Absolutely delighted to hear... Hope you like the book, folks :)

I look for to concerts in Finland in just two weeks. I'll right there in the first row in both shows :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:11 pm 

Kim wrote:
tommyd48 wrote:
come on steve give this chick a break dude ,..:-)[/color]

Whatta... This chick is bald-headed and bearded :lol: In Scandinavia (northern Europe) and Asia, Kim is mans name too. I've tried to get the message of my book to Steve through several channels but no reply so far. He's on tour now so he's very busy.

sorry about getting your sex wrong Kim,. and its good to see your book is cool with lord vai,..you know that steve is always busy ,..lucky guy ,.
though im sure he has lots of time to relax ,.,.,.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:23 am 
Newcomer

No probs :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next