VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:33 am 

To be honest, if I was Steve, I would ask you to remove all mention of his name from the title and all association from the books contents (aside from maybe a quote here and there).

The book should just be a book on YOUR spirituality and practices. Have confidence in yourself and don't use a famous name because it will get you more downloads.

You really need to make sure you get Steve's permission before you associate his name with this stuff - because it seems to me as though you have "imagined" Steve Vai as having the same spiritual views as you - probably because you are his number one fan! As Anil says, you seem to be confusing philosophies, and Steve definitely is a follower of Sant Mat, which you haven't even mentioned.

You have to be so careful when you do things like this. Be patient, and wait for the green (or red) light before you release it. PM Andy Alt or Favored Nations (the moderators) if you don't hear anything. I'm not sure how much they monitor this forum any more.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:28 am 

kyle am I wrote:
im confused. If you never even interviewed steve, and he dosent even know about this project (and there is very very very little true facts about steves spirituality open to the public) how can it be about steves personal spirituality? Most of it would have to be inferences, and for lack of a better word, guesses, on his spiritual discernments. and im not sure steve would like it ( i wouldnt at all) if someone wrote a book on his spirituality that was mostly guesses.

Steve follows Sant Mat. Read these interviews:
http://www.dcsi.net/~bluesky/vai82.htm
http://www.richardhallebeek.com/interviews/vai.php

Then, read the lyrics of "The Story of Light" and "The Silent Within".

Then go here:
http://www.santmat.net/
or
http://www.rssb.org/

Go to this YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/IshwarPuriSantMat?feature=CAQQwRs%3D

I am truly interested in this path, regardless of Steve's beliefs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:39 pm 
Newcomer

Perhaps I could add that the tradition of Kriya Yoga in which I'm an authorized teacher, has also central practices with the same universals principles of sound and light as does Sant Mat.

OK, now I won't comment anymore before I get the book out. Then you can read it yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:03 pm 

Kim wrote:
...the tradition of Kriya Yoga in which I'm an authorized teacher, has also central practices with the same universals principles of sound and light as does Sant Mat.

This is exactly my point. You are shoe-horning Steve's belief system into one that matches your own - because you are a massive fan and you adore him. I get that. Other big fans of Steve Vai will look for the slightest hint in his words, and lyrics, that will convince them Steve is like them: a Hindu, Catholic, Sikh, young earth creationist e.t.c.

Do what you will - but don't say we didn't warn you when you get a cease and desist letter/email.

It's admirable that you have written a book. It's truly a great thing, and I hope you do well. Again, I would only advise you write books on your own beliefs and life practices and have confidence in them. There's no real need to even mention Steve Vai.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:05 pm 

Kim, spiritual expression is not universal but completely personal because you can't get in my head and experience what I experience and vice versa anymore than you can know we perceived the colour 'blue' the same way.

Also you imply that meditation is something 'special', a magical state which gives you special insight. If you have truly learned from Zen masters (I've never heard of a Zennist refer to themselves as a master-they'd shudder at the label!) you'd know they refer to it with terms such as 'just sitting' (shikantaza). Indeed Neuroscience research shows that different types of meditation deactivate different areas of the brain so they are not all the same.

I get suspicious when people use phrases like 'meditative expression' which isn't defined or by virtue of the individual words, doesn't actually mean anything. Claims of a special insight that can be obtained by following your method....well I just think of TV Evangelists shouting "touch the screen, touch the screen and dig deep into your wallet"!

Perhaps you are very sincere in your motivations, perhaps your ego is being stroked by writing an ebook and having adulation thrown in your direction, perhaps you are hoping to have some direct approval and even contact from your musical hero, Britney....no....sorry Steve Vai, I don't know, but your actions don't seem to be that of an egoless person who has spent years 'just sitting', but instead that of bit of a braggart claiming to be a professional yoga-ist with direct links with spiritual master, or the direct student of some Japanese calligrapher....I don't know, it doesn't seem as humble as you might expect of a sincerely spiritual person. I'm probably being far too harsh, like they were to that bloke a couple of thousand of years ago, but they nailed him to a cross, I'm just talking crap!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:28 pm 

Anil, have you read the book 'Head Trip' by Jeff Warren? It's a fascinating scientific insight into human consciousness and it's many and varied states. The author experiences a lot of them first hand and details his observations and impressions. The idea behind some of these Buddhist (for example) mental states is much more interesting when looked at scientifically, than with a woolly non-explanation. (For me anyhow!)

Also, 'The Self Illusion' by Professor Bruce Hood is also a thoroughly brilliant read.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:07 am 

I'll check those out, SugarNips (why does it feel odd calling another person Sugar Nips?). Ive had my graduate students for the past few years review the scientific literature since there's a lot of research going on in this field. In fact the Dalai Lama spoke at 'Neuroscience-San Fransisco' conference a few years ago and has 'lent out' some of his top monks for brain experiments! As I alluded to in another post, not all meditation techniques do the same things. Different sorts first activate and deactivate particular areas of the brain (slow changes occurring over the duration of the sitting). What this means, we really don't know yet. Usefully though, meditation does reduce/halt/even reverse the thinning of the cortex of the brain (outer 6mm or so deep layer of the brain). Its the loss of this tissue that produces the symptoms of the various types pf dementia, but you have to be a regular practitioner for 20-30 years of at least 30-40 minutes per day to get these benefits-quite an investment of time.

If we consider that brain produces and perceives all the things we experience (it does, because if you take out the brain, one stops all experiences!) then its pretty obvious that during meditation people may well experience feelings, sights, emotions etc that they think are external and impinging upon them. There's a device called the 'God Helmet' that can do this too. So I think we have to conclude that the sensations experienced during the many many different types of meditation are internally generated and of little true significance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:42 am 

Then you may call me Quentin! Sugar Nips is like a private name you would give to a partner when you whisper sweet little nothings in their ear...

It's certainly a fascinating area. It must be hard for the monks to recreate those states in an MRI machine. I imagine our understanding will improve when the sensitivity increases, and the size of these behemoth machines is reduced! There was talk about hand-held MRI scanners a few years back. I don't know how far those are away now?

As for the thinning of the cortex: I'm hoping other things like diet, exercise and life-long learning will help me to stave away that problem, because sadly, dementia affected all my grandparents. Meditation, although I find it fascinating, is just something I'm not interested in doing. I think it's because I don't feel like I'm doing anything, and especially not thinking anything - I feel like I'm wasting time when I could be doing something more productive! I realise that is the point though...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SugarNips wrote:

The book should just be a book on YOUR spirituality and practices. Have confidence in yourself and don't use a famous name because it will get you more downloads.

^ word.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Even though Steve has spoken about his spirituality in the past (usually when asked), I know he considers these things very personal.
He reads and researches as lot but often said he feels he's not qualified to give out any advice at all and that it's different for everybody.

I think it would be impossible to write a book about Steve's spirituality, if nothing else only for the simple reason that his own spirituality is still very much a work in progress........

Regarding protected material (photos) in your publications (free or not), you need approval or you will earn some bad karma there...

j

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:13 am 
Newcomer

Added the contents to the first post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:20 am 
Newcomer

The book is out. Please see the Donate and Download-link in the first post. The donation is optional.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:52 am 

So did you get approval then? As ignoring alot of the important points made in this thread could lead you down a very dangerous road...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:15 pm 
Newcomer

Very dangerous road... Hahaha, seriously? Hanging out with the Hell's Angels and the Japanese mafia is dangerous. And even that isn't dangerous. Been there :)

Please, read the book and you will see that all your concerns are causeless. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:55 pm 

Edit: Deleted. Comment a bit too harsh and making assumptions that may be untrue.

Last edited by SugarNips on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next