VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Autographs at EVO
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:55 pm 

This is a question for those who've attended a EVO experience. I was just curious if there was a limit of items I can bring to have signed. I would like to bring a few things to the venue but I don't want to be that one a-hole who brings like a 100 different things for Steve to sign.

Thanks for the input.

Matt

Post subject: Re: Autographs at EVO
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:42 pm 

As an autograph collector I think 2-3 autographs is fair/plenty per person

I've seen people go overboard-- Vai is always accommodating/great to fans.

I had backstage passes to see Street Sweeper Social Club- a GREAT band- with Tom Morello on guitar.

A guy begged me to help him get backstage

I did... and got him backstage to meet the band/tom morello

Afterword he said thanks and said 'wow he signed everything for me'
and he flipped through- every autoslave/RATM dvd/cd/anything- Tom Morello signed 30+ things for the guy

I felt like an ass getting him backstage to meet him and then him doing that-
I see that guy almost everywhere actually... he's a douche like that...ever concert/even/everything he shows up with 1000 things to sign.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:38 pm 

Been to a couple of Evo's and I think 2-3 items is indeed a limit. First, it's not fare to other fans for one person to take much of the time. Second, in the past there were fans who brought alot of stuff to sign and selling stuff the next day on Ebay. So that's another reason why they prefer a minium set of items.
I myself have a few items in my collection that got signed but I stopped with the whole signing thing.

So don't go overboard ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:26 am 

The Evo package is called an "Experience", and that's the most important aspect of it I believe. Listening to Steve talk about interesting topics and silently watching him conduct soundcheck are the most valuable aspects of the whole experience. All the rest is, I think, just icing on the cake. I sometimes ask myself: when you already had one autograph, why would you want more? I would never ask anybody for more than one. After all, it's all about making great memories, more than anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:18 pm 

Yea, I'm just trying to figure out what's a respectable amount. This is going to be my first Vai concert/evo experience. I may just have him sign my Ibby, the new cd and my friends Vinyl. Plus it comes with a signed picture and strap so that should be enough. I have a couple of questions for him as well. My friend was wondering if we could get him to sign a pickguard for a friend but I think I'm going to say no to him. If he wanted to meet him he should go to. I just want to be as respectful as I can to the man.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:06 am 

In the past I had a couple of friends who asked if I could bring stuff for him to sign, my answer was indeed, buy a ticket and go to the show.
A few weeks back I was backstage at the G3 show and I didn't even bother to take my pic with Satch. Have seen alot of shows of him but never met him, this was the first time but things were so hectic that I just didn't want to bother any body.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:32 am 

steve signed my guitar, 5/6 poster, cd, etc... but there was 5 persons at this evo premium... it was in 2005
the most important : park your car near the theater to bring your guitar before the concert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:53 am 
Newcomer

Steve is very cool about pictures and signings. If the EVO is crowded more then 25 people the manager handling the EVO will let you know. Have a great time. Steve signed my leg in NYC, and the next day I had it tattooed. Very Cool, right next to the VAI symbol. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:00 am 

Steve is very good about things, in fact at a previous EVO, he had already signed my and a fellow EVO ers ibanezes, then walked over to us 5 minutes later asking "anything else you want signing guys ? Have I signed everything for you ?

the trick is, from my (2 EVOs) experience, is have everything ready for him, ie CD cases open (at the page of booklet you want signing, I asked him to sign top of CD disc), guitars out of case and ready, point out to him, whereabouts on it you want (i always go for back of headstock, so doesnt get rubbed off over time). , no wrappers / messing about. Line everything up for him to just walk by and sign as he goes, so 5 things takes about 10 seconds. He usually brings a black marker with him, so don't ask him to sign anything black ! it wont show up.

what is rude, is "dominating" his time. One guy at an EVO, got Steves attention, he walked over, and THEN the guy started rummaging in a backpack, unwrapping books, CDs etc, he had half a library in there. Steve was there a long while, which took away a good piece of time for everyone else.

I'd say about 2-3 things is Ok, any more is disrespectful to Steves time and other EVOers. If you abuse his goodwill, youre likely to get a tap on the shoulder from his Manager (at the time, a very nice, but tough looking giant called Mikey).

The guy is so professional,. he doesn't even sign over the serial number of your axe.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/1000491b.jpg/