VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:59 am 

SugarNips wrote:
Jenn Pix wrote:
@SugarNips

I'd love to see more of the way your mind is going. You are, so far, quite a fascinating read! :wink:

*LOL, love your name, btw. :mrgreen:

My name?! Lol! Yes, my granny had a pair of pliers that was used for picking bits of sugar off a sugarloaf. The pliers are called sugar nips! The name always made me smile :)

I did have another idea for the cause of gravity storms - two actually - but one involved creating mini-black holes on the Earth's surface, like they predicted would be created at the LHC - but I don't like that idea. Plus, the black holes would only last a split second before they disappeared having no effect on gravity.

The second idea I thought of listening to The Moon and I. I thought of the Earth travelling through space, and then started imagining it passing through huge boulder fields. Now if you make these boulders huge clumps of dark matter, the Earth would pass through them, but because dark matter has mass, then gravity would have an effect, and the Earth would gain mass as it passes through, therby increasing gravity in localised hot spots. (Dark matter is invisible.) More gravity storms! Now, the boulders of dark matter would have to be huge, and the boulder fields probably would have to be light years accross - but it works.

It got me thinking too, about how in Vai's story the people on Earth thought the gravity storms were caused because of the way they were treating and polluting the planet. However, with most things, there is usually a rational explanation that supersedes the irrational/supernatural one - maybe it's string theory or dark matter boulders? Who knows?!

It always tickles me how freaked out people get about the LHC!
"Oh noes! They is creating black holez! The Earth's gonna get sucked into the black hole and disappearz! Nooo!"
**giggles**

Hmmn... dark matter boulders. Interesting. That's twisting my mind to some really cool visuals, now. :)

I'm still pondering what the "gravity shelters" that Steve mentioned (on the DVD, and in the booklet) would be? Coz any physical structure would be affected by gravity, so how would a gravity shelter work?
Half asleep one morning, there was this half-formed picture in my head, and there was some silly mash-up of magnets and pockets of an alternate reality or dimension that made up the shelters. :|
Wasn't making much sense while I was still all sleepy, so I had some coffee, thinking perhaps if I were awake, I could sort out the details. Upon the caffeine infusion, though, I only ended up more confused. LOL!
I have found that happens a lot, though. My own brain confuses the heck out of me, but I can grasp other people's ideas fairly well. (*I have no idea what that says about me, though!*)

*eh* but now I think I'm drifting too far off-topic.

I do have Gravity Storm playing right now. I can see the affected areas of the town getting crushed and warped under the crushing force, the air having gone a peculiar shade of deep purple/black, streaked with the ripping scarlet lightning that Steve described... It's the weirdest, funkiest feeling to have that kind of visual while listening to that music... kind of feels like I'm standing near the edge of the event... :shock: :shock:
*shivers* Intense. Seriously...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:58 am 

i just watched the dvd and now i think when i listen to the songs i will be seeing different images in my head 8)
esp. Gravity Storm, i knew it was heavy but now i'm going to be pulled down by it :D :headbang

i'm a big fan of the ducks, they brought alot to the dvd :headbang

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:55 am 

I thought the DVD was a little over self-indulgent. I would have liked to have seen him playing on the DVD, rather than talking so much. But I suppose it gives you an insight into the album, if you're into that kind of thing.

But as I give the album a few more listens, I'm not overly keen on Steve's tone on this record. Just my personal preference. I agree with an earlier post that a lot of melodies are very 'individual', but then Syeve isn't a pop artist. Some of the songs get better and better by each listen. Still absolutely love No More Amsterdam.....this has to be amongst some of Steve's best ever work.

Can't for the life of me grasp what people see in The Moon And I.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:15 am 

Bryceybhoy wrote:
I thought the DVD was a little over self-indulgent. I would have liked to have seen him playing on the DVD, rather than talking so much. But I suppose it gives you an insight into the album, if you're into that kind of thing.

But as I give the album a few more listens, I'm not overly keen on Steve's tone on this record. Just my personal preference. I agree with an earlier post that a lot of melodies are very 'individual', but then Syeve isn't a pop artist. Some of the songs get better and better by each listen. Still absolutely love No More Amsterdam.....this has to be amongst some of Steve's best ever work.

^ on The Moon And I, for me it's the bass 8)

for me the ducks stole the show :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:53 am 

Jenn Pix wrote:
I'm still pondering what the "gravity shelters" that Steve mentioned (on the DVD, and in the booklet) would be? Coz any physical structure would be affected by gravity, so how would a gravity shelter work?

I've no idea lol! If you figure it out, you'd be the first person to invent an anti-gravity machine!! :)

Jenn Pix wrote:
Wasn't making much sense while I was still all sleepy, so I had some coffee, thinking perhaps if I were awake, I could sort out the details. Upon the caffeine infusion, though, I only ended up more confused. LOL!

Caffeine always helps :)

Jenn Pix wrote:
I do have Gravity Storm playing right now. I can see the affected areas of the town getting crushed and warped under the crushing force, the air having gone a peculiar shade of deep purple/black, streaked with the ripping scarlet lightning that Steve described... It's the weirdest, funkiest feeling to have that kind of visual while listening to that music... kind of feels like I'm standing near the edge of the event... :shock: :shock:

Not a bad thing to be a dreamer. Sometimes getting lost in your imagination is better than any drug. :)

EDIT: Miss-spelled caffeine!

Last edited by SugarNips on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:04 am 

SugarNips wrote:

Jenn Pix wrote:

Not a bad thing to be a dreamer. Sometimes getting lost in your imagination is better than any drug. :)

Always have had a very vivid imagination. I think that's one of the reasons I am so drawn into Steve's work. He has a way of painting some awesome pictures. Passion And Warfare was the coolest "Astral Trip" ever... :wink:
And as I'm piecing together the Real Illusions stuff, it's becoming quite the journey, as well. I honestly can't wait for the next installment! Coz I have this story playing out, as I see it, trying to fill in missing pieces... wondering how close or different my Brain-Story is from Steve's vision... 8) It's really quite fun, in my head, sometimes! :mrgreen:
(*though it's also really easy to get lost in the weirdness, so I advise caution! LOL!*)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:32 am 

Bryceybhoy wrote:

It's all very subjective, everyone has their own likes/dislikes, life experiences that color those preferences,
So if it doesn't hit you, it just doesn't.

For me, though, it's the whole mood of the piece. Like a great escape from the world and the emotional gravity of life... *coz that can pull you down harder than a Gravity Storm*
A free-flight through the Universe, Dancing with Luna in an endless Dream-scape. It's a kind of euphoria...

I've always been rather a Lunar-powered thing, so, The Moon is a personal favourite subject, anyway.

and then I heard Steve talking about it, his experiences and inspiration, and...
Well that just made an already wonderfully special song, all the more precious.

(...your mileage may vary... 8) )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:04 pm 
Newcomer

[quote="RAI"]First impression:
I think it will take me a while to actually "like" this album.
It just seems really flat, and lacking of passion.

I don't know where Steve is coming from, but I'm not impressed with a new album that contains basically two covers, a collaboration with rock/pop singers, and a previously released track.
Not very inspired. At no point did I ever go "Wow!"....
The production is stellar, but everything is missing "the punch". The heavy stuff feels light like a feather, and the emotional stuff feels disconnected.

7 years of waiting, and I was hoping for more.[/quote]

ditto .....just ditto to the above. :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:31 pm 

I can't say I agree .. I absolutely love this record, and love it more with each listen. So much happening there - I'm glad Steve's doing what he's inspired to do rather than what most of the "naysayers" (it's a loaded term, the quotes are meant to lighten it up a bit) expect, 'cause an inspired work connects with the folks who connect with it much much better than an expected work meets the expectations of those who expect a certain thing.

In short, it's the sort of thing you like if you like that sort of thing. Yay for no absolutes and all. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:34 pm 

RAIN wrote:

While I disagree with you - to a point I can sympathise with that view. There was a time I'd love every single track on a Vai album. For me this period was probably between Flex-able and The Ultra Zone. In fact, the only two songs I don't like from that period were 'There's Something Dead in Here' and the X-Equilibrium Dance'. Which I think is an amazing hit rate! It would have been impossible to keep that going. Since Sound Theories and Real Illusions, I've found I no longer like every single track on an album. I just put that down to my tastes and Steve's tastes going in different directions. The same thing happened with Satriani for me too. I still love Steve, and will continue to buy everything he does - but I just accept I'm not going to like it all anymore.

Interestingly what you will find, is that those people that started listening to Steve from Real Illusions will adore all of that album, and are far more likely to love The Story of Light too, and feel less of a connection to his older stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:17 pm 

Heh I've been listening to Steve for a .. very very good long time .. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:01 pm 

i am finding i want to listen to 'The Story of Light' alot more then Real Illusions. maybe the songs are more to my cup of tea.
i like several tracks on Real Illusions but some eg: Firewall just don't pull me in :|

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:42 am 

I loved the album from my first listening. It just feels like it contains so MUCH, and I love it. "Weeping China Doll" is my favourite track, but it's all great stuff. I was hoping it wouldn't be, you know, too bad, and it turned out to just be fantastic.
There are just all these different, deep moods that sweep through the whole album, and the track listing is arranged so you get pulled, pushed and guided through those different moods really well. That's how I felt about it, anyway. I hear something different each time I go to listen to one of the tracks, and it's very cool.
As usual it's fun to listen to Steve talk about each track (I got the DVD), and to really sit and try to get into his head as you listen to the music, even try and decode a little of that story he's got going. It's a really cool experience.
Oh God, the vocals on "No More Amsterdam"; Aimee Mann and Steve sound wonderful together. I can't NOT mention that!
The thing that I might say negatively is that John the Revelator/Book of Seven Seals maybe dragged on a little, with both tracks. I loved the arrangement, and the energy, and all the vocalists were very good (especially McClellan!!), but it just felt like it went for too long.
I could probably just sit and rave and discuss forever, but I'm not going to, instead: Congrats to Steve on this very special album, I for one absolutely adore it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:21 am 

I've listened to the album maybe 20+ times now and I do like it better than RI....I still like the older pre-1999 stuff more,though....what I'm really missing on this album is that one epic guitar song like Boston Rain Melody, Tender Surrender, Whispering a Prayer or Windows to the Soul that would just absolutely floor me like those songs did, "The Moon and I" and "Weeping..." are close but just not there.....also, I know times change and people change and but to me there's just a certain aspect to this new stuff that's missing, I don't know what it is but it almost feels like it's all too serious, I guess I'm missing the "playfulness" of the older material....I know this almost sounds ridiculous and that it is absolute nitpicking but I'm just a hardcore that feels this way. Either way, I'm really glad this album finally came out and I wish we wouldn't have to wait more than 2 years for some more new music. Peace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:40 am 

SugarNips wrote:
RAIN wrote:

While I disagree with you - to a point I can sympathise with that view. There was a time I'd love every single track on a Vai album. Since Sound Theories and Real Illusions, I've found I no longer like every single track on an album. I just put that down to my tastes and Steve's tastes going in different directions. The same thing happened with Satriani for me too. I still love Steve, and will continue to buy everything he does - but I just accept I'm not going to like it all anymore.

I can totally relate, around the mid 90's I honestly thought the man could not release anything I wouldn't immediately drool all over. I think you hit the nail on the head abou the changing tastes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next