Well... Let's hear some opinions on The Story Of Light cd.

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Samuele

Re: Well... Let's hear some opinions on The Story Of Light c

#76 Post by Samuele » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:05 am

You can buy it on iTunes, and therefore get the digital booklet (PDF), too.

NFBOfficial

#77 Post by NFBOfficial » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:16 am

You can buy it on iTunes, and therefore get the digital booklet (PDF), too.
Thank you, but I can´t find it in the iTunes store, it says "not available in the german itunes store".
Is the booklet included in the amazon-download too?

ocuj

#78 Post by ocuj » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:09 am

Thank you, but I can´t find it in the iTunes store, it says "not available in the german itunes store".
Is the booklet included in the amazon-download too?
Heh, I'm from Holland and it's the same overhere. I bought my copy here:

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file ... 0897278004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It comes with a digital booklet. Do mind though, this is not MP3, it's HD audio. It's 24bit 96khz, which is superior quality to the cd, but it's 2GB and won't convert well to MP3. But if you have some high end audio system, this is the best to get.

Big Bad Bill

#79 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:03 am

My copy has arrived at the sorting office-with an £11.19 customs charge!

codnchips

#80 Post by codnchips » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:00 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:My copy has arrived at the sorting office-with an £11.19 customs charge!
£11.99! Greedy gits! Hopefully I'll have that "Kingdom privilege" by the weekend ;)

Big Bad Bill

#81 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:13 am

codnchips wrote:£11.99! Greedy gits! Hopefully I'll have that "Kingdom privilege" by the weekend ;)
Nah, £11.19 so I'm perfectly happy with that :evil:

The production on the album is amazing....my house is shaking to the foundations, How the hell does he do it? Amazing. So far so good. Naturally I hate the Broadway musical track but the old lady over the road likes it and my gay friend, Stu, thinks its 'divine'

EyE

#82 Post by EyE » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:32 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:Naturally I hate the Broadway musical track but the old lady over the road likes it and my gay friend, Stu, thinks its 'divine'[/color]
:)

fyrie

#83 Post by fyrie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:59 pm

I really love this album, but the amount of digital clipping is very unfortunate. It's so obvious in many places that I wonder if the clipping happened earlier on in the recording process and was therefore unfixable by the time the mastering took place. I hope it gets a remaster if this is indeed a mastering issue as opposed to a source recording issue.

SugarNips

#84 Post by SugarNips » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:47 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:My copy has arrived at the sorting office-with an £11.19 customs charge!
Me too! :(

SugarNips

#85 Post by SugarNips » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:38 am

I will post an album review shortly, but just wanted to say the DVD is excellent. I didn't know what to expect, but it's worth watching and it gives a deeper human insight into his Real Illusions opera/musical.

The story behind The Moon and I is both sad and inspirational. It was nice of Steve to open up like that. Actually, this track is probably my favourite on the whole album. The solos are amazing on it too!

Also, I was intrigued by the idea of gravity storms. It managed to get my imagination racing...

I've been trying to think of ways of ways true gravity storms could happen. Unless the earth gets more massive, then there is no way it's gravity could change and get stronger in that sense. Gravity is purely related to mass.

There is a way out, however - through string theory! One of the ideas in string theory, to explain why gravity is so weak compared to other forces, is that it spreads out equally in all the extra dimensions of space (there are eight extra space dimensions in m-theory). Gravity, it is believed can travel through branes too - which also helps make it weaker.

Just in case you wondered, string theory supposes that there are eleven dimensions of space and one of time. There are the three dimensions we are familiar with (up/down, left/right, forwards/backwards), plus another eight which are curled up extremely, extremely small.

Now, if there was some way a huge amount of energy could be focussed on these extra dimensions, that effectively, temporarily closed them off to gravity (or the graviton) - then all the extra strength of gravity would manifest itself in our observable three dimensions - thereby increasing the gravity strength by a huge amount! Aka, a gravity storm!

Maybe the Midway creatures could initiate the gravity storm?

I like how 'string' theory relates to music too. Everything we see could be just the vibrations of tiny little strings!

Sorry if I bored you all. I just love to try and meld great fictional ideas into a possible reality.

Nate from San Diego

#86 Post by Nate from San Diego » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:17 am

^^^Not boring, quite interesting, actually. My head just hurts a little bit now from expanding 8 more dimensions... :mrgreen:

Jenn Pix

#87 Post by Jenn Pix » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:30 pm

@SugarNips

Seriously cool! I love the way your mind is working, here!
String theory to explain the possibility of a Gravity Storm... that's just awesome. 8)

I've always felt that the Universe is musical vibrations made physical.

"I like how 'string' theory relates to music too. Everything we see could be just the vibrations of tiny little strings!"
is a very cool and fitting observation. Are we surfing the same brain-waves.?. LOL... :D

I'd love to see more of the way your mind is going. You are, so far, quite a fascinating read! :wink:

*LOL, love your name, btw. :mrgreen:

afaruler159

#88 Post by afaruler159 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:20 pm

I've listened to the album a few times, and overall, it hasn't made me super pleased. I've been a vai freak since '06. I stopped listening to a lot of him from 2010-now because nothing new was coming out and I had heard the other songs a million and a half times. Then, I relistened to it all continuously for the last couple weeks before this album came out.

Honestly, I'm disappointed with this one. I think the reason is because it feels disconnected. It's more of a feeling than anything. A lot of the songs sound the same and have the same produced feel to them, unlike RI where every song had its own definable character. Another thing is that few of the songs have a definable melody to them. Few times does it feel like songs with character to me because it is hard to feel out the real themes of the songs. The songs are melodic, but the melodies never end. They rarely come back to the originals and build off of them. The album, with the exception of a couple songs, feels like it lacks the heart of the others for me. As other people have mentioned, it seems as though Steve is disconnected from his music on the album. That could just be me though. I hypothesize that it's because he spent so much time away from writing guitar centered music or this type of music. He spent it writing tons of orchestrations. That could explain the album's layered nature. I don't know. I wish he would just go back to how he is really feeling. Take a small break after the tour and give it another try and dig a little deeper. That was probably the most non logical thought out thing I've ever written, but it makes sense to me. Maybe someone could pick up and see what I'm saying, maybe i'm just crazy haha

SugarNips

#89 Post by SugarNips » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:32 am

Nate from San Diego wrote:^^^Not boring, quite interesting, actually. My head just hurts a little bit now from expanding 8 more dimensions... :mrgreen:
I think you wouldn't be human if you didn't have that reaction! ;)

Thank you @Jenn Pixx too! xx :oops: Glad to know we're on the same wavelength! :)

Anyway my album review...

I've listened to the album several times through now, and I'm just going to pick my standout tracks and the tracks that are growing on me.

My standout tracks:

The Story of Light - This song is just so full and lush, and I really like it. The 7-string guitars really help to give it extra body (sounds like I'm writing a shampoo review!). I know some are not keen on the Russian vocals - but I like it, and I think it really adds to the track. There's something about the Russian language I really like too - it can be really sexy! (I'm thinking of 'A Fish Called Wanda' with John Cleese. That gave me my interest in Russian).

The Moon and I - This song is probably my favourite on the whole album. I love the ethereal quality to it and the flying sensation it gives the listener. The solos on this track are just outstanding, and they for me, constitute Steve at his best. Certainly one of the tracks I could never get bored with.

Weeping China Doll - I've been really looking forward to hearing this track since Steve released the YouTube clip. It was worth the wait. The melody is so haunting and hypnotic, and I could play it for hours! Again, fantastic solos in this song too.

Mullach a'tSi - Now I really like this track. The use of wah, volume, the whammy bar and Steve's immaculate phrasing make this sublime. It's such a beautiful melody too. A stunning piece that will leave even Jeff Beck stcratching his head.

Growing on me...

No More Amsterdam - This song kind of passed me by on the first couple of listens, but the more I listen, the more I find myself coming back to this track. In a sense, it's probably the most Vai-esque track on the album. Aimee's lyrics, and the singing from both are great. What I like about it is that it doesn't have an overtly catchy hook or melody - but the whole thing just flows so well. My ears respond well to things that are not necessarily predictable.

Velorum - I'm starting to like this tune a bit more too. I love the cleaner guitar parts and melodies - and I love the contrast of that with the heavier stuff. I think a few more listens and maybe I'll be enjoying the heavier sections too. It's not that I don't like heavy - I do, but on this song it's just not clicking with me yet. Yet... :)

Racing the World - I like this song and it's growing on me. I'm just not keen on the mix - it seems too narrow - if that makes sense?! I'm listening in 2.1 so maybe it's mixed to be better 5.1 stereo. I personally like the live version he did for Guitar Centre better.

A very solid 7 out of 10 from me.
Last edited by SugarNips on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SugarNips

#90 Post by SugarNips » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:05 am

Jenn Pix wrote:@SugarNips

I'd love to see more of the way your mind is going. You are, so far, quite a fascinating read! :wink:

*LOL, love your name, btw. :mrgreen:
My name?! Lol! Yes, my granny had a pair of pliers that was used for picking bits of sugar off a sugarloaf. The pliers are called sugar nips! The name always made me smile :)

I did have another idea for the cause of gravity storms - two actually - but one involved creating mini-black holes on the Earth's surface, like they predicted would be created at the LHC - but I don't like that idea. Plus, the black holes would only last a split second before they disappeared having no effect on gravity.

The second idea I thought of listening to The Moon and I. I thought of the Earth travelling through space, and then started imagining it passing through huge boulder fields. Now if you make these boulders huge clumps of dark matter, the Earth would pass through them, but because dark matter has mass, then gravity would have an effect, and the Earth would gain mass as it passes through, therby increasing gravity in localised hot spots. (Dark matter is invisible.) More gravity storms! Now, the boulders of dark matter would have to be huge, and the boulder fields probably would have to be light years accross - but it works.

It got me thinking too, about how in Vai's story the people on Earth thought the gravity storms were caused because of the way they were treating and polluting the planet. However, with most things, there is usually a rational explanation that supersedes the irrational/supernatural one - maybe it's string theory or dark matter boulders? Who knows?!