VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:49 am 

how long was the Dvd? I ordered it a week or two ago and it isn't here yet.
Vincent Seven wrote:
I love this CD. The DVD is definitely worth watching and has some great stuff in it. A home run for Vai indeed. So part 3 in a couple of years, right? hmmm? I can't wait until this project is completed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:54 am 

I am actually surprised by John The Revalator and Book Of The Seven Seals.!. The more I listen, the more I'm really getting into those. I mean really grooving on 'em. They seriously work. Steve's arrangement, Bev's vocals (Oh my Gods, that voice! 8) ) and ... just everything.!.
I thought I might end up skipping over those after the first few times. You know, 'I gave 'em a spin , I know they're there, and part of the story, but I don't need to hear 'em again...' kind of thing.
But no. I can't even imagine skipping 'em! They have quickly grown to serious awesome, on my list. :headbang

On another note... anyone else playing with the order of the songs? Playing both disks (Real Illusions: Reflections and The Story Of Light) back-to-back? Getting ideas on some more of the story line.?. Anything like that?
Now and then, I get a sudden thoughts about the story. Some so startling, I get a very real chill.!. It's going to be interesting to see what the third part tells.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:04 am 

kyle am I wrote:
how long was the Dvd? I ordered it a week or two ago and it isn't here yet.
Vincent Seven wrote:
I love this CD. The DVD is definitely worth watching and has some great stuff in it. A home run for Vai indeed. So part 3 in a couple of years, right? hmmm? I can't wait until this project is completed.

The main part where he's talking about the songs is near 1 hour. The extra/bonus stuff, I think that was... just about 10 or 11 minutes...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:50 pm 

Prezidentman wrote:
This is taken from one of the Amazon reviewers (hopefuly they won't mind) but I thought it put something I had also felt about the album into words quite well, so I wanted to post it here:

Quote:
I don't feel disappointed...just a little unfulfilled because for Vai heavy lies the crown since only he is one of the miniscule group of virtuosos who have set expectations and standards so high that an audience has no option but to expect to be blown away every time he so much as even farts a note out of his guitar (don't know how one does that but I hope you see what I am getting at). And once again I feel that the album sounded very familiar and return-to-formish...but it also didn't make me feel that I explored or discovered new horizons of Vai's capabilities. It was revisiting a new version of old stuff.
Am I happy with the familiarity? Of course yes...after all it is Vai. And only he can play and write songs like Vai. But was I hopeful for an album to be in someways ground breaking, different yet game changing? A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y Yes!!!!! And I feel that the latter just did not happen with this album.

I couldnt agree more about "one of the miniscule group of virtuoso...bla bla bla".
I am always will be blown apart by Steve Vai be it as if he farts literally on the guitar itself...

but what I dont agree is, "the album sounded very familiar...bla bla bla"
I dont see any of his so called virtuosity being used out of shape...as he is Steve Vai, he will always be Steve Vai...as he wouldnt compromise to any of whatever POPULAR needs may be...maybe my ears are too familiar with this so called virtuosity of Steve Vai but I dont see that he used that overwhelmingly...he is still a very good songwriter and I am sorry to say that he is not a so called virtuoso by name...he is all that!

Having listened to each and every song he ever recorded officially (minus the vai tunes of course...i cant get napster here in malaysia)...Steve Vai will always be the story of my life ( ha ha ha!!! )

ps: Steve Vai was excellent in his every 7th song of the CD...having listened to Mullach "whatever"...make me feels really at home...a great lullaby for my son. on a very last note...this CD is the most brilliant, heartwarming and excellent Steve Vai's ever...great job!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:56 pm 

I've listened to each song on the album. So from my first impressions the song that I can say I like the most and has the most character, for me personally, is "John the Revelator". After listening to the entire album, thats the song I remember most. Although, I did hear it through RollingStone.com prior to the album being released but I don't think that changes what it is.

The rest of the album I just don't quite get yet. It's like, me and a friend going to an amusement park and when we get there, my friend starts riding all the rides, and I am just standing in the middle of the amusement park, looking for my friend, trying to figure out where he is at, and what ride he is on. But I can't yet. Maybe, if I keep looking I'll find him.

Maybe, it takes hearing each song a few times to finally get them.

Thumbs up for "John the Revelator". Crossing my fingers on all the rest.

P.S. I am blown away by how much a lot of other posters here seem to love this album, almost each and every song, right off the bat. Maybe I am looking for too much of Vai's past work.

P.S. Trying to be positive about this album but I don't think I am gonna like "Book of the Seven Seals" no matter how many times I hear it. Too weird for a VAI album. Wait, that doesn't make sense does it? :) Let's just say I don't see myself liking it. The rest all still have a chance though.

P.S.S. One last comment. I don't remember the song title but it's the one where the 'Russian' is talking through the whole song? Not feeling that one either. Too much talk and not enough walk. The singing and talking in 'The Blood and Tears' on Ultra Zone was beautiful. Maybe the beauty of the voice made the talking more acceptable and enjoyable. I think it just didn't work on the new album. But what the hell, they can't all be hits, right? :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:19 pm 

Also Kyle could you email me what you have tabbed? :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:52 pm 

well...nits not the best stabbed stuff. All I really have certainly right is the first 2:30 of weeping China doll. Everything else is just bits and pieces. Like the main riff from gravity storm, some of John the revalator, the chorus for sunshine electric raindrops. And weeping China doll actually isn't correct, as I don't have a twelve string and used a guitar tunedbto Eb. So the answer... I'm not going to go through the work of usingbthat stabbing software to tab it out or even send pictures of my almost indescribable tab paper UNLESS I I tab the whole song/s correctly. Sorry, I'm neurotic that way. It has to be perfect, or else it sits in my head tormenting me until I actually finish it. If I do not finish it, the tormenting turns into a constant thought in my head, that makes me restless until I finish the task. So give me a week or two, and ill try to make it perfect :) Its not you, its me ;)
LightWithoutHeat777 wrote:
Also Kyle could you email me what you have tabbed? :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:55 pm 

and God damn, that stupid spell check. Why on earth would I buy stabbing software lol. Stabbing should be tabbing. And I meant a seven string, not twelve string.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:51 am 

Hello all. I've been absent from this board for quite awhile but thought I'd wade back in since we have a new release to delve into. Nice to see a few old friends hanging out here. I will be at 2 of Steve's shows in the NYC area in about three weeks. It will be the first shows since the Where The Wild Things Are tours. Anyway, the new disc...

I won't go track by track, but just some observations. First, I think Steve was "damned if he did / damned if he didn't" about this release. What I mean is he couldn't really divert much from the feel of Real Illusions. I think he did an outstanding job, considering the 6-7 years that has elapsed since the first record, in maintaining the continuity of sound and expression. The Story of Light sounds like it could have been recorded right along side Real Illusions. As for the sonic experience, I've never been 100% sold on Steve's ability to capture the natural resonance of drums and cymbals. Here the drums sound very compressed, almost too dry. It is why there is a sameness to same of the songs. I would like to hear the drums in their natural state. The Story of Light title track does, in fact, bring me right back to where Under It All finished, with its massive chords, but the Russian voiceover is distracting. To me the language emphasizes the "ssss" and "shhh" sounds too often, if that makes any sense.

The Moon and I is brilliant and deserves its spot on this disc. The call and answer part of Steve's solo is brilliant. But the rest of the instrumentals are a bit anonymous. Their melodies don't jump out at me the way Building the Church, Glorious, or Midway Creatures did.

All in all, Steve still delivers. I've got new Vai music and that's always a good thing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:47 am 

for people in UK: Have you guys received your album?
I ordered the Deluxe album but I haven't received it yet. I live in London. Did anyone get anything?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:51 am 

I'm in Slovenia and I have ordered the package 14 days ago, still hasn't arrived.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:34 am 

Ordered the Deluxe version 13 days ago, haven't gotten it yet..thank God for the download!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:30 am 

Ordered the delux when it was first anounced, hoping it will arrive sometime this week. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:35 am 
Newcomer

i ordered the platinum edition on the the 25th of may (the first day they took orders) and i am still waiting for it.
it says it was shipped on 8th of august.
i think nobody from europe seems to have it already in his hands....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:36 am 

Ok after a good few days of critical listening......

The guy who "mastered" this album screwed up big time. Im hearing distortions/pops/crackles all over the place and its almost on every song. This album was pushed way too hot.....and the funny thing is, its not even 'commercially loud'. Kinda disappointing cause this songs do sound great and they are nice and bright, balanced and crisp.......but these random distortion crackles bug the crap out of me. kinda annoying

:( :( :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next