VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:37 am 

Having listened more...

I'm so falling in love with the title track. I know some of you don't like the vocals over the music, but I really do. I hear her rather like another instrument... and I think she sounds wonderful.

Velorum is still putting some gorgeous visual things through my mind, that's always a plus!

I wasn't sure I was gonna like John The Revalator/Book Of The Seven Seals, but ... WOW! I'm seriously diggin' it. They aren't my favourites, but I'm loving them, definitely.

Tropical dreamy ...Still melting into Creamsicle Sunset... probably will be for a long long time (*sighs contentment*)

Gravity Storm bends my brain funny. Maybe coz it's right after that tropical dream of Creamsicle Sunset, but.. d@mn! it's freakin' heavy and dense and... D@MN! The tension I feel in it... I love it...

the 7th. Mullach a' tSí is so beautiful. Soothes me and makes me smile. I often hit repeat on that one...

One of my absolute favourites from Steve (and I'm talking *ever*, not just from this album), is The Moon And I. More reasons than I can name, this song has such a deep emotional impact on me. The first time I heard it, I fell under it's spell forever... A release. An escape. A journey. Pure beauty. and so much more...

Weeping China Doll is so good! (I want to see those roses, too!) I can really feel the weight of emotion. I've had my own moment at a kind of "Reflecting Pond". Still learning from that. (but that's a whole 'nother story that y'all wouldn't be interested in, so...)

I love the energy in Racing The World!!! Another that I hit repeat on... (over and over and over...)

No More Amsterdam Oh, Steve and Amiee sound so gorgeous together! I have liked Amiee for a long time (oh Gods, a very long time! Where do the years go? LOL)

and Sunshine Electric Raindrops! Oh Steve, do a few more like this! It's a joyful sounding one, and couldn't we all use more joy.?. It's a great way to close the album, and fun to listen to just on it's own.

OK, oops. I wasn't really intending to do all tracks like that! I was just gonna mention a few... but I got carried away! (I tend to do that a lot, lately!)
I can't help myself, though. I really do love this album. :headbang
It's another that pulls me in and takes me places... (Steve's good at that! :wink: )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:48 am 

This is taken from one of the Amazon reviewers (hopefuly they won't mind) but I thought it put something I had also felt about the album into words quite well, so I wanted to post it here:

Quote:
I don't feel disappointed...just a little unfulfilled because for Vai heavy lies the crown since only he is one of the miniscule group of virtuosos who have set expectations and standards so high that an audience has no option but to expect to be blown away every time he so much as even farts a note out of his guitar (don't know how one does that but I hope you see what I am getting at). And once again I feel that the album sounded very familiar and return-to-formish...but it also didn't make me feel that I explored or discovered new horizons of Vai's capabilities. It was revisiting a new version of old stuff.
Am I happy with the familiarity? Of course yes...after all it is Vai. And only he can play and write songs like Vai. But was I hopeful for an album to be in someways ground breaking, different yet game changing? A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y Yes!!!!! And I feel that the latter just did not happen with this album.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:09 am 

Jenn Pix wrote:
I'm so falling in love with the title track. I know some of you don't like the vocals over the music, but I really do. I hear her rather like another instrument... and I think she sounds wonderful.

I feel strongly about the title track as well....it's just so heavy and rich....I almost don't want it to end, especially that wicked soloing that almost reminds of the "Flexable" days :lol: ....still not completely sure about the Russian vocal part but I'm starting to get used to it, either way, wonderful track.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:45 am 

the title track is my favorite as well. That song could go for 10-15 minutes and i wouldnt mind one bit! :headbang

"The Moon and I" - The more I listen to it....the Soloing takes me back to the old days of "Rescue me or Bury me" soloing from the Sex and Religion Album. The Tone is spot on to that song! It almost sounds like hes playing through his old 100Xb amp again for this song!

The Hi hat schticking away at 8th notes and hearing that bass line bee-boop away.....man, I like "The Moon and I" alot. I feel it..........

Last edited by bkornaker1977 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:27 pm 
Newcomer

I love this CD. The DVD is definitely worth watching and has some great stuff in it. A home run for Vai indeed. So part 3 in a couple of years, right? hmmm? I can't wait until this project is completed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:47 pm 

I haven't listened to Steve religiously like I used to since about 2009. I honestly didn't even know he had a new album out until a friend brought it up to me. I'm first listening to it now, and I'm re-living what first attracted me to his music.

The first album I heard of Vai's was Real Illusions: Reflections, so maybe that has a lot to do with it. I love the synths and crazy powerful harmonous choir vocals. A lot of it reminds me of the song Firewall, which is one of the first Vai songs I ever heard. I definitely like this album a lot. Many twists and turns, and unexpected surprises (and good ones at that). I was glad to hear a beautiful instrumental like creamsicle sunset. Wonderful stuff Steve! So excited to be able to see you on tour again!

Oh, and on another note, the riff and music on Velorum at :48 seconds-1:00 and 1:09-1:20 really tugs at my heart-strings for some reason. Velorum is an awesome song, but I wish he would have done more with that riffs and kept that pace.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:34 am 

i'm halfway through my 2nd listen and i am loving it :guitar it helps that i am into Bible Prophecy :D :headbang
i'm just wondering where the Seven Trumpets & Seven Vials are? is Steve leaving those judgements for the third album? :wink:
i posted this on Steve's youtube page, this album is speaking to me more then Real Illusions :peace

edit: i'm still waiting on my pre-order, i only have the digital download. i hope customs don't sieze the seeds :shock:

Jenn Pix wrote:
Having listened more...
the 7th. Mullach a' tSí is so beautiful. Soothes me and makes me smile. I often hit repeat on that one...

this track evokes similar feelings that Feathers does, both joy & sorrow = beauty :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:02 am 

Don't agree with that Amazon review. It's very different to any of his other stuff. I'm not a huge fan of some songs, but I take my hat off to Steve for continuing to be different and, in a sense, a little weird. At least he's not trudging out the same shit every two years.

Some songs really stand out, especially the title track. One of my favs has to be No More Amsterdam. Melodies that come from out of nowhere. This is where I think Steve shines more than any other artist, the ability to bring out melodies you wouldn't expect to hear. Awesome. Can't stop listening.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:19 am 

Bryceybhoy wrote:
Don't agree with that Amazon review. It's very different to any of his other stuff. I'm not a huge fan of some songs, but I take my hat off to Steve for continuing to be different and, in a sense, a little weird. At least he's not trudging out the same shit every two years.

Some songs really stand out, especially the title track. One of my favs has to be No More Amsterdam. Melodies that come from out of nowhere. This is where I think Steve shines more than any other artist, the ability to bring out melodies you wouldn't expect to hear. Awesome. Can't stop listening.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:31 am 

I think the album is perfect. I wouldnt change a thing and i couldnt ask for more. of course, i was only seven when his last album came out, and i havent been waiting 7 years, ive only waited two. so my opinion is based off of someone who has never been dissapointed in steve and hasnt had almost impossible expectations for my waited time.

Every track on this new album sends my synnesthesia in a billion directions. Its full of depth and layers, and every song has its own memory connnected to it. So its perfect, and every deep emotion that can be is derived from the album is. For me, there isnt another song that any other artist could ever make that could compare to something as deep as Velorum, or Weeping China Doll. Every melody has a meaning and feeling. So it may just be me (as everything has a deep meaning, and i find one even if it wasnt created with one in mind) and my devotion to the artist that supplies such joys, i think this is the second best album of steve released so far (second to Fire Garden).

Normally, i dont like when steve sings. it always feels akward (like when When I Was a Little Boy goes off as an alarm in the morning, you know, like the random song by artist feature), some of his lyrics, though the songs are beautiful. usually, a searing guitar and intricate melody are present, just not in a way i enjoy. but his singing on this record is like no other. Without his singing tracks, the album would not be complete, and then it would leave something to be desired.

So im going to review each song and what it means to me: so brace yourself~

The Story of Light - the beginning swoosh reminds me so much of Satrianis first track off Surfing with The Alien, which is Surfing with the alien lol. then it turns into the same kind of chords and exchange you hear in the Moon and I, which is a great little prelude. then it turns into one of those songs that can be added to bring on a torrent of emotions, so for instance it can turn 'happy' and then 'sad' side by side beautifully. steve does this with so many tracks. like, just when you think the song is going to sound like that beautiful dark sad song, it jumps into a happy revitalizing series of notes that brightens the song and adds texture and feel.

Velorum- Again, that series of dark and light, with an absolutley beautiful melody. this one though, so much more. it has such a different feel from The Story of Light. his usage of the different ways you can touch the instrument is so masterful nothing could possibly have been done by chance. His riff with that sitar or whatever hew used at 4:31 gave me chills, just like the solo from lotus feet did, but this is a totally different feel.

John the Revelator- A blusey, tuned down masterpiece. steves ability to change a song and add his own twist is truly breathtaking. this song is the epidemy of his diverse ability to still be able to keep the blusey vibe of the old original song (which i heard), and also make it "totally Vai". The song is so rich and full, and he takes a bit of the amazing enriching tuned down bends he got from gravity storm, another great prelude. Beverly Mclellan (sorry, i know i didnt spell it right) is the perfect choice. some of the blusey vibe is in her voice as it has that kind of black 30s growl behind it and vibrato. Originally, i thought it was "whos that riding", not writing. though it makes no sense to have it riding, i think it sounds better. the first impression is the oner that stuck in this case.

Book of Seven Seals keeps the same vibe carried on from JTR, but with a fantastic choir/ chorus sound and punching guitar solo. The choice to separate the two songs was the right thing to do, because the sound pretense is different as the song is more rock and heavier.

Creamsicle Sunset The perfect "iim sitting on a place like a cool breezed texas desert with a beautiful ocean slowly crashing, with dark pink sunset, without a single worry in the world" song. Oh my, you could have a fantasy with this song ;) it retains a sound from tender surrender (like the slower parts after the main riff, and the ways he uses the tremolo are similar) but with a very tiki, wild west, very very very very slightly american indian feeling. the perfect sond to lull you to sleep, as it does to me (i usually end up with dreams as steve vai as a cowboy, riding evo, in a wild west paradise town... oops :oops: :lol: )

Gravity Storm- beautifully heavy rock, well worked drums and FX that sound like a a storm of gravity crushing a house. his main melody riff whatchamacallit bending technique is so fresh and amazing, just when i thought steve could run out of ideas a few months ago after i actually made a mental count of all the unique techniques for songs i had heard before, this track came out on youtube and geve me unbelieveable hope for this album. its crunchy lead rythm feel is addictive.

Mullach a' tS'i steves famous seventh song. the first time i heard it, i thought, hell, this is a rip off. this isnt the ten minute long heavily distorted seventh song we are used to. but then i listened to it while going to sleep, and its true artistic and lushious melody became clear. his use of the sustainer on the harmonic mix mode so subtly added texture to a song that without it would be dull. the harp (from genious harpist Deborah Henson- Conant, whom i stalk on facebook ;) ) is so beautifully clear and mixed effortlessly into the guitar parts. I now think the seventh song needed to be this song for the albums sake. if you take every seventh song steve aver recorded on his albums and listened to it carfully, you will see ( or rather, hear) that it is like a snapshot of what each record they belonged to was like. So for instance, for the love of god shows the ninteys type guitar tone, with an image of young steve vai unveiling his true ability and deep spiritual beliefs. So you know thats what the entire record of passion and warfare will be like. of course, you could get all that from the name, but the name represents the song, and the song certainly sounds like it. now, i dont know what Mullach a' tS'i translates to, but it probably means something like " puffy cloud, deep sleep pillow song" ;) but really, from this song, you can derive that the story of light will be emotional, very creative, but modern, and will showcase steve like a fine wine ( though i have no personal experience with wine at my young age of 14 ;) )... his music getting better with age (better as in spiritually, mentally, etc). the song is perfect as the seventh song, and though i thought weeping china doll would be better suited as the seventh song like many of you do, i hope you get my metaphoric link.

The Moon and I- ok. this song holds something special for me ( as if all the others didnt ;) ) when i was really young, i had a dream that i was in my own ship travelling through space. for whatever reason, i was somewhere in a different dimension. i was landing on planets that were so beautiful i cant describe it. it was so pure and beautiful, it made me question why life has to be full of such tragedy and burdent. i was like 8, and i was a very deep thinker. the dream was so deep and dark, yet light it is impossible to describe. it might sound really stupid, like a kid daydreaming about star wars. but this was serious, the most serious dream i have ever had. i was away from earth, and so far away in this different dimention it i knew i should be depressed and lonley but it was so amazing. i was travelling at millions of miles per hour and going to different planets and landing there. the planets were so beautiful, i cant even put it into words. and every planed was perfect, not a single flaw. in this dream, there was only one feeling. the planets,ithey were so detailed, and the feeling was so real when i woke up, i was crying because i could never go back. take the beginning minute thirty of the moon and i and try to imagine the experience.the dream changed my forever. music is the only way these feelings could ever come out. I swear the song here is the music i heard then in that dream. ao the song is very special to me.
BACK TO REALITY- the song is very beautiful. originally, i didnt like the song by itself as a vaitune. it didnt make any sense to me, there was no story or rhyme or reason to why steve would be fetishing the moon in such an intimate way. but in the context of the whole album, the album wouldnt be complete without. it is very cosmic sounding, and if you just daydream along with the soing, you will get some very deep thoughts and images.

Weeping China Doll- the most amazing and perfect seven string song in history. the fat, punchy chords ring amazing. its like the juicy part of steak that makes your mouth water so intensley you need to eat it or die. it is yet again the most unique song of its kind. steves ability to go happy and sad/epic is something nobody else has ever accomplished in my book. and that is exactly the word to describe it... epic. its so beautifully dark. its not terribly complex, ive tabbed ubout two and a half minutes of it. but the melody seems like something that is so perfect no human could have made it. the parts where he is using the whah pedal and digitech whammy are the most magical. but how is he going to do that live? have dave push him uip like on Astoria. who knows.

Racing the World- something steve dosent think is very clever or musical, but hes just being humble. this song is so complex in stature. but it is very simple in theory. think i would love to.

No More Amsterdam - i dont like it. i keep thinking anne frank- amsterdam, read the book and it was just horrible (the holocaust) unfortunatley it ruined the song for me. its ok though, the rest i love.

Sunshine Electric Raindropsjust mezmerising. very chordally rich. nothing spectacular, but satisfying. its one of those wrap up songs, that kind of end the album. its the perfect song to do it.

so thats it for the story of light. i love it so much. a suggestion- stay up all night, and when you go to sleep, turn this on. youl have such an experience.

~Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:30 am 

Couldn't have said it any better Kyle. Excluding No More Amsterdam, I LOVE that song. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:20 am 

Just wondering why he hasn't called the album "Real Illusions: The Story of Light" since it is from Real Illusions...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:31 am 

pdruh wrote:
Just wondering why he hasn't called the album "Real Illusions: The Story of Light" since it is from Real Illusions...

he says the trilogy is being released out of order, so his next album might hold some reason or something. maybe in the 7 years he didnt release a new album, he decided he didnt like putting real illusions in front of every name. with it there, it certainly takes away from the meaning of the name. Reflections/The Story of Light certainly sounds better thasn Real Illusions: Reflections/ The Story of Light.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:01 pm 

its sooo cool and some tracks kinda break the stereotypical mould, It`s superb in my opinion

I cant wait for the Manchester gig

Bobz1b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:23 am 

thanks! I thought I should write a review since everyone so values my opinion ;) .
LightWithoutHeat777 wrote:
Couldn't have said it any better Kyle. Excluding No More Amsterdam, I LOVE that song. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next