VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:44 am 

SugarNips wrote:
Jenn Pix wrote:
I'm still pondering what the "gravity shelters" that Steve mentioned (on the DVD, and in the booklet) would be? Coz any physical structure would be affected by gravity, so how would a gravity shelter work?

I've no idea lol! If you figure it out, you'd be the first person to invent an anti-gravity machine!! :)

I completely forgot that dark energy was essentially repulsive gravity (anti-gravity)! So the gravity shelters could be concentrated dark energy generators. If you can build one, or even work out what dark energy is - you'll get a nobel prize! ;) x

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:49 am 

Prezidentman wrote:
I can totally relate, around the mid 90's I honestly thought the man could not release anything I wouldn't immediately drool all over. I think you hit the nail on the head about the changing tastes.

You made a good point too about the humour. I didn't think of that - but you're right. Since Sound Theories came out there hasn't really been any humour on the albums. I used to like Steve's quirky humour! Flex-able has it in buckets!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:51 am 

SugarNips wrote:
Prezidentman wrote:
I can totally relate, around the mid 90's I honestly thought the man could not release anything I wouldn't immediately drool all over. I think you hit the nail on the head about the changing tastes.

You made a good point too about the humour. I didn't think of that - but you're right. Since Sound Theories came out there hasn't really been any humour on the albums. I used to like Steve's quirky humour! Flex-able has it in buckets!

We sound like old men reminiscing about the good old days!! In our day...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:22 am 

SugarNips wrote:
Prezidentman wrote:

Yeah. I wasn't even talking about the quirky songs in particular but just the overall mood....guess I miss the fun type of playing and mood that songs like "I Would Love To" had..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:27 am 

SugarNips wrote:
SugarNips wrote:
Prezidentman wrote:

We sound like old men reminiscing about the good old days!! In our day...

LOL! Indeed. But I guess to some degree I do miss the old days (90's in my case:).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:42 am 

well, i was able to get my download from the online digital thing early around the same time many of you were getting your packages and cds and dvds(dont ask me how, its a secret). so i had no idea what the booklet or dvd was like. but i had ordered the cd dvd combo (there were only two in the entire Barnes and noble franchise, i got one and theres only one left!) and got it only yesterday. the dvd is amazing. the booklet is sexy and filled with texture and color. the cd is great too, but i had a really LOOONG post a while back on the cd... so withoud further adue,-
THE DVD
- it was amazing. the most amount of info on the SOL songs you could find anywhere. its totally worth it. steve explains everything on each track i wanted to hear.
-im finding more i have in common with steve every day. whitht he moon and i explanation, i found such a connection between steve and i it felt he was reading my mind a little. if i ever had a depressing state, it ended a few months ago. Everything from the dreams to the anxiety (wich i still get waves of). i was never suicidal, but waves of feelings made life difficult until i changed something. anyway, if you want to get into steves mind watch the video.
-steve gave away many of the places he likes to go, and goes frequently, in great detail ;) . if i ever go to california, ill know to go to to THAT park and look out for a tall man riding a bike ;) just kidding
- great insights to his working process and how he works (maybe one third of the entire dvd was about steve and how he made his songs)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:30 pm 

kyle am I wrote:

THE DVD
- whitht he moon and i explanation, i found such a connection between steve and i it felt he was reading my mind a little. if i ever had a depressing state, it ended a few months ago. Everything from the dreams to the anxiety (wich i still get waves of). i was never suicidal, but waves of feelings made life difficult until i changed something. anyway, if you want to get into steves mind watch the video.

It was almost spooky, seeing his eyes at that part. I see that same look in my own, sometimes, reflecting on my own depression.

(Gives me chills, thinking about how close I came...)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:45 pm 

I love hearing him talk about the "mental process". The idea that changing the way we think can change our reality really resonates with me. It's all about self-discipline and the desire and the seeking for truth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:19 pm 

i was very moved when Steve talked about suffering depression when he was 20/21. i had no idea he had ever had such thoughts going through his mind.
whenever i've seen him he's exuding joy and i didn't realize he had gone through a tough mental period, i was very naive.

thank you for sharing that with us Steve Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:26 pm 

just got my package for the limited edition CD...

I dont know what to do with the seed but i will give it a try...will plant it and see what happens!

after viewing the dvd...what i can add now is, I am proud of you mr Vai!

this second installment of the Real Illusions CD will become a classic and it was heartfelt through and through...thick and thin...balls to bones.

Once again i have to make this loud and clear...Steve Vai is the story of my life!

it was really heartfelt and inspiring to listen to your own accounts of life and those dark places you had been through...believe it or not, everyone had to go through that process and it was really inspiring to know that you believe in something that is worthwhile, maybe your conscience or if it isnt too much, maybe it was G-d talking to you...I believe that!

we all had a little bit of captain drake mason in our life, there were times when those pressure in dealing with things that is too heavy (gravity storm?) to comprehend will come to shake our foundation of believing in what we are capable of...

these cd's are a miracle to some...

errrr...lets just say i understands a whole lot better now.

Thank You...cant wait for the next CD.

Post subject: Minor Niggles......
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:10 am 

So far I'm enjoying the music and it's pretty standard Vai-fare which I love (except Book of the Seven Dolphins-strange aquatic reference there but I'm sure it'll all become clear when the final disc is released). I really enjoyed the DVD too and luckily it made the liner notes somewhat redundant, thankfully.

I do have a niggle though and it is with the afore mentioned liner notes, or rather the grammar/prose contained therein. For a start, 'The Moon and I' is incorrect. It's should be 'The Moon and Me' The object is always 'me' and in this case it's a compound object...moon AND me. You don't have to know this to hear its wrong and so it grates on me.

Some of it is just a little......clumsy. "As they stared into the reflecting pond, their reflection [sic]...." Would've sounded so much better as "As they stared into the reflecting pool, their images....." 'Tiny solar systems'? That went out decades ago and the term 'Probability haze of electrons' would sound so much better. I can't read the liner notes because of this clumsiness and it could've been circumvented if a literate (British) writer was asked to scan through it and remove any cliches and repetitions and singulars that should be plurals and.... (see what I'm doing there :wink: )

Anyway, this is a minor niggle and it's now obvious that Steve is composer/musician and not an author/writer.

Post subject: Re: Minor Niggles......
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:35 am 

Big Bad Bill wrote:
So far I'm enjoying the music and it's pretty standard Vai-fare which I love (except Book of the Seven Dolphins-strange aquatic reference there but I'm sure it'll all become clear when the final disc is released). I really enjoyed the DVD too and luckily it made the liner notes somewhat redundant, thankfully.

I do have a niggle though and it is with the afore mentioned liner notes, or rather the grammar/prose contained therein. For a start, 'The Moon and I' is incorrect. It's should be 'The Moon and Me' The object is always 'me' and in this case it's a compound object...moon AND me. You don't have to know this to hear its wrong and so it grates on me.

Some of it is just a little......clumsy. "As they stared into the reflecting pond, their reflection [sic]...." Would've sounded so much better as "As they stared into the reflecting pool, their images....." 'Tiny solar systems'? That went out decades ago and the term 'Probability haze of electrons' would sound so much better. I can't read the liner notes because of this clumsiness and it could've been circumvented if a literate (British) writer was asked to scan through it and remove any cliches and repetitions and singulars that should be plurals and.... (see what I'm doing there :wink: )

Anyway, this is a minor niggle and it's now obvious that Steve is composer/musician and not an author/writer.

Awww... C'mon Bill. Me like Steve's lyrics just fine the the way they be. :D Besides, me don't rhyme with sky. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:56 am 

Yeah Bill, this is called poetic license, as we adulterate the correct form of spelling or concordance to make a better sound.. I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it is actually very bold, to play with the words and blend it with the music, makes me think he really master the musical structure.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:57 am 

Jenn Pix wrote:
kyle am I wrote:

THE DVD
- whitht he moon and i explanation, i found such a connection between steve and i it felt he was reading my mind a little. if i ever had a depressing state, it ended a few months ago. Everything from the dreams to the anxiety (wich i still get waves of). i was never suicidal, but waves of feelings made life difficult until i changed something. anyway, if you want to get into steves mind watch the video.

It was almost spooky, seeing his eyes at that part. I see that same look in my own, sometimes, reflecting on my own depression.

(Gives me chills, thinking about how close I came...)

You guys pulled the words from my mouth. Really!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:01 am 

SugarNips wrote:
Prezidentman wrote:

Well… In my opinion Steve didn't lose his humor. He is only dedicating to this trilogy, that is something a bit more serious, a huge and blowing mind story! And even on this trilogy there is a bit of humor (Yai-Yai, Book Of Seven Seals…)

And of course I think he will comeback with humor when he do his kind of ALS album (that is more guitar and virtuosity extravaganza than a story or epic concept album.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next