A SINCERE and REAL THOUGHT about Steve Vai

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
AkenBosch
Newcomer

A SINCERE and REAL THOUGHT about Steve Vai

#1 Post by AkenBosch » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:21 am

I think Steve Vai is a brilliant guitarist with a truly unique voice on the instrument and a rare understanding of dynamics and sound, but I think he is completely underrated as a composer. His serious work, when he actually composes music instead of just backing tracks for his soloing, is amazing and would make Zappa proud.

Watching him DANCING AROUND LIKE A DUMBASS and doing all his Spinal Tap gimmicks is so annoying and distracting from the music. I've heard him complain subtly about having never been taken serious, and I wonder if he knows how much that has to do with it.

Big Bad Bill

Re: A SINCERE and REAL THOUGHT about Steve Vai

#2 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:01 am

AkenBosch wrote:His serious work, when he actually composes music instead of just backing tracks for his soloing, is amazing and would make Zappa proud [/URL]

So why isn't, say P&W 'serious music' as you put it? Have you listened to 'Four Seasons', where the great composer essentially writes 'backing tracks' for the solo violin to wail along to (or should I say with?). Zappa's music could be called backing tracks too since much of it made no sense without his diatribes all over it. I think you are confusing 'classical' instruments as being serious and modern instruments as being frivolous. This isn't the case it's just a matter of chronology. The piano was considered an abhorrence when it was first invented (I still prefer the harpsichord!) but now it's a classical instrument with gravitas and all that. Personally I find Steve's orchestral music somewhat like an aural emetic whereas his rock-orientated music is my ambrosia.
AkenBosch wrote:WHisatching him DANCING AROUND LIKE A DUMBASS and doing all his Spinal Tap gimmicks is so annoying and distracting from the music. [/url]Your annoyance is easily cured by being a purist and only listen to his CDs, that way you won't be distracted by his superb onstage act, and act that makes him the best live acts to behold!
AkenBosch wrote:HisI've heard him complain subtly about having never been taken serious, and I wonder if he knows how much that has to do with it.
If Steve only ever produced orchestral music from the very beginning, he would be stacking shelves in Tesco now rather than being a serious musical which what he is. His orchestral music can only be supported because of the reputation he garnered via playing his brand of complex, rock-orientated music.

Sorry about the formatting-iPad's are shit!

Bryceybhoy

#3 Post by Bryceybhoy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:58 pm

AkenBosch wrote:I think Steve Vai is a brilliant guitarist with a truly unique voice on the instrument and a rare understanding of dynamics and sound, but I think he is completely underrated as a composer. His serious work, when he actually composes music instead of just backing tracks for his soloing, is amazing and would make Zappa proud.

Watching him DANCING AROUND LIKE A DUMBASS and doing all his Spinal Tap gimmicks is so annoying and distracting from the music. I've heard him complain subtly about having never been taken serious, and I wonder if he knows how much that has to do with it.
If you think he's full of 'gimmicks', dances around 'like a dumbass' and isn't taken 'seriously', why would you bother setting up an account on his forum?

I don't like Yngwie Malmsteen....but I'm not about to go and join his forum and tell all his fans that I don't like him.

Big Bad Bill

#4 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:37 am

Well, to be fair AkenBosch suggests he doesn't like the 'rock antics' that Steve gets up to and seems to be more into his Zappaesque/orchestral music. That's fair enough but I'd like to know why he has these ideas-what does he actually like about the orchestral music.

Prezidentman

#5 Post by Prezidentman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:52 am

Yup, another fairly pointless thread..

MerlinsMuse
Newcomer

#6 Post by MerlinsMuse » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:26 am

The only thing pointless about this thread is the fact that someone had to be negative...all I can say is what are you jealous? Go learn to play then..Vai is an amazing talent :guitar

kyle am I

#7 Post by kyle am I » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:07 pm

no threads are actually pointless, except for the ones the Aaron guy did.
Prezidentman wrote:Yup, another fairly pointless thread..

kyle am I

#8 Post by kyle am I » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:13 pm

where has he subtly complained about that? Ive never seen that happen, or read, any interviews where he complained about not being taken seriously. His dancing like a dumbass adds character, emotion, and intensity and deepness and gives his songs movement.
AkenBosch wrote:I think Steve Vai is a brilliant guitarist with a truly unique voice on the instrument and a rare understanding of dynamics and sound, but I think he is completely underrated as a composer. His serious work, when he actually composes music instead of just backing tracks for his soloing, is amazing and would make Zappa proud.

paulh123

#9 Post by paulh123 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:48 pm

maybe aarons got a new id??

Dyens

#10 Post by Dyens » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Pretty valid thread if you ask me. Vai fans I general are pretty unwilling to say that Steve is capable of anything less than total perfection. And that's not healthy. If somebody thinks Vai looks kinda goofy sometimes, you can't say they are wrong. And saying, "oh yeah?! Well he is way better at guitar than you'll ever be so you're just jealous" is completely irrelevant. It's like settling a childhood argument by saying, "well my dad can beat up your dad!" What? Why even bring up Vai's ability to play when the issue beig discussed is his stage show?

kyle am I

#11 Post by kyle am I » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:30 pm

:shock: oh my goodness I was thinking the EXACT SAME THING
paulh123 wrote:maybe aarons got a new id??

kyle am I

#12 Post by kyle am I » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:07 pm

HAH no I don't think hes here anymore lol. Wanna know why I'm laughing? Go to this link hahahaha scroll down to the lower part lololol http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/jem-e ... 778-4.html

kyle am I

#13 Post by kyle am I » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:14 pm

sorry I'm having way too much fun with this http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f25/diamo ... ost1179183

Big Bad Bill

#14 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:25 am

It is a valid thread but its only a valid discussion if some sort of reasoning is given behind the criticisms. Is Steve's onstage behaviour any different that say Steven Tyler's et al.? Agreed if a violinist in the Halle Orchestra did what Steve does, it'd be odd, but for a rock guitarist? Who say's he's underrated? On what do you base this statement? Records sales? Critical acclaim in the music press? Can AkenBosch point out where Steve made his 'subtle complaint' so we can make a judgement upon his meaning ourselves?

Anyway, I suspect AkenBosch is a bit of a troll since she's disappeared after posting so perhaps we shouldn't waste our energy on this.

blsabob

#15 Post by blsabob » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:21 pm

Actually, one of the things I like best about Vai is the fact that he has fun, acts goofy and puts on a real show. Far too many other "Guitar heroes" are far too stoic on stage and make for a very boring live performance, despite being excellent musicians.