all waiting for new vai music

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
aaronm
Banned

all waiting for new vai music

#1 Post by aaronm » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:56 pm

I have read here that there is alot of people waiting for vai to release more music ....when is it coming what will it be called ...and so on ..frankly I have heard so much vai I dont really care what he dose in future as he is still doing the same old stuff he has been doing for years ,..the same crossing hands, I mean big deal .I dont think he has progressed as a player for some time ,.I guess he dosnt really need to but untill he dose what ever he puts out in the future is just going to be more of the same when you think about it.I visited New Zealand not so long ago and in a small town there I went to a bar and there was a Young girl in a band who was shredding up a storm,.. like this chick was just as good as vai or orianthi or any one out there ,I introduced myself in the break and asked what do you do for a living ,.her reply was Im a car salesperson ,..I said you should be playing with the big names she just laughed and said yeah right.
I was more blown away by this young girl than anything that vai has done lately....I was blown away with vai on the movie cross roads and allmost blown away by passion and warfare but since then no not at all .
There are players on the net that blow me away more than vais more recent stuff,.. perhaps he feels he has had his day being mister amazing now that there are kids on you tube that are kicking ass these days.
having said this vai has been a huge insperation for me,... and so was eric clapton anyone listened to him latley?

Pape

Re: all waiting for new vai music

#2 Post by Pape » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:22 pm

eh, To each his own. I disagree. Yes there is amazing players out there, but they usually play someone else's "same old stuff" and yes, There are some "car salesman" who can play circles around me, probably Steve and e lot of other players,.But in my opinion, Real Illusions: Reflections was one of his best to date. Definitely felt new to me. Watch the youtube video of Moon and I video Andy did, you will see steve is still progressing as a musician, ie - he wrote the song using whammy pull ups at the end of each phrase type thing.

and for what its worth, is there anything really "new" out there, every person from every genre is playing the same old thing.

And maybe my ears are way different, but every Vai album sounds different to me. Sex & Religion shocked me, Real Illusions moved me, Ultra Zone has an eerie feel, Alive in an Ultra World - these all seem different to me.

Love Eric Clapton - same result though- He repeats his go to riffs and skills and trademark sounds on everything he does........

Prezidentman

#3 Post by Prezidentman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:47 pm

Sure, there have always been and always be players younger, faster, more technical and whatnot, more now than ever before with just about all the tools necessary to become a smoking guitar player at your fingertips, but few of the them will ever be the musician that Steve is and will ever create anything as remotely brilliant as "FTLOG", "Tender Surrender" or "Windows to the Soul" let alone have any kind of impact on the guitar world. What has always set Steve apart is his distinctive sound stemming from his deep knowledge of theory, his compositional skills and his general approach to the guitar....very few people have that.....after many years I've come to realize how much more difficult it is to actually compose something memorable and original instead of learning and playing someone else's stuff. The players who ultimately become some of the greats are mostly very prolific composers with their own identity on the instrument.

Bryceybhoy

#4 Post by Bryceybhoy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:41 pm

aaronm wrote:I have read here that there is alot of people waiting for vai to release more music ....when is it coming what will it be called ...and so on ..frankly I have heard so much vai I dont really care what he dose in future as he is still doing the same old stuff he has been doing for years ,..the same crossing hands, I mean big deal .I dont think he has progressed as a player for some time ,.I guess he dosnt really need to but untill he dose what ever he puts out in the future is just going to be more of the same when you think about it.I visited New Zealand not so long ago and in a small town there I went to a bar and there was a Young girl in a band who was shredding up a storm,.. like this chick was just as good as vai or orianthi or any one out there ,I introduced myself in the break and asked what do you do for a living ,.her reply was Im a car salesperson ,..I said you should be playing with the big names she just laughed and said yeah right.
I was more blown away by this young girl than anything that vai has done lately....I was blown away with vai on the movie cross roads and allmost blown away by passion and warfare but since then no not at all .
There are players on the net that blow me away more than vais more recent stuff,.. perhaps he feels he has had his day being mister amazing now that there are kids on you tube that are kicking ass these days.
having said this vai has been a huge insperation for me,... and so was eric clapton anyone listened to him latley?
I've read some of your previous 'posts' on the forum, one of which asked if anyone knew what toilet paper Steve used. If you think Steve is past it, why ask that?

Please go away and stop wasting everyone's time.

aaronm
Banned

#5 Post by aaronm » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:58 pm

some interesting feed back here and some good points
Brycyboy I asked that because some of the things people ask here is just that stupid like steves green instrument cable I mean its an instrument cable for crying out loud and its people like you yeah you mate the ones that bite make it all the more worth while coming here LOL

Bryceybhoy

#6 Post by Bryceybhoy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:09 am

aaronm wrote:... and its people like you yeah you mate the ones that bite make it all the more worth while coming here LOL
So you do just come here to wind people up.

Hope you have fun. :roll:

paulh123

#7 Post by paulh123 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:20 am

Bryceybhoy wrote:
aaronm wrote:I have read here that there is alot of people waiting for vai to release more music ....when is it coming what will it be called ...and so on ..frankly I have heard so much vai I dont really care what he dose in future as he is still doing the same old stuff he has been doing for years ,..the same crossing hands, I mean big deal .I dont think he has progressed as a player for some time ,.I guess he dosnt really need to but untill he dose what ever he puts out in the future is just going to be more of the same when you think about it.I visited New Zealand not so long ago and in a small town there I went to a bar and there was a Young girl in a band who was shredding up a storm,.. like this chick was just as good as vai or orianthi or any one out there ,I introduced myself in the break and asked what do you do for a living ,.her reply was Im a car salesperson ,..I said you should be playing with the big names she just laughed and said yeah right.
I've read some of your previous 'posts' on the forum, one of which asked if anyone knew what toilet paper Steve used. If you think Steve is past it, why ask that?

Please go away and stop wasting everyone's time.
WELL SAID BRYCEYBHOY

GYiakoumi

#8 Post by GYiakoumi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:56 am

It seems like you believe it's Steve's role on this earth to please us and be our source of entertainment for as long as he lives and perhaps you have forgotten that he has a personal life. Don't worry, you're not the only one on here who is like this but rest assured, there is another record on the way as well as a world tour.

As for the question: How long must we wait?

The answer: However long it takes.

Steve is a perfectionist, he won't release something unless he's 101% happy with it, it's why his records leave us in awe and amazement every time and seeing as you're so interested in Steve's playing (along with his lifestyle, preferences etc..) I assume you're a musician yourself and perhaps if you had to take a single page out of his' rule book' and apply it to your music-works it should be just that:

Be patient with your art, don't rush it and don't feel you have to prove anything to anyone by the abilities you can or cannot perform.

As for your expectation's on Steve's ability to progress on the instrument:

He is a professional guitar player, there is no questioning that... and no of course he isn't the only one, there are millions out there qualified to say they know the instrument inside out. However the things that make Steve the guitarist that he is today are what attract us to his music in the first place, these factors can be different for everyone, some are attracted to his technique, music theory, song writing styles, favourite modes, showman ship, phrasing and much more.. (or all!)

Though reading your thread and others alike it seems you're more interested in the technical side of his playing and his ability to 'perform the impossible', No doubt Steve had once set the bar fairly high with his virtuoso playing and it seems that because you have witness players over YouTube or in gigs reach this bar that he is no longer allowed to sit comfortable in his style and play what he plays best because it has been 'done' and so you are waiting for the next best thing (whatever that may be for you). What you must realize is that is NOT Steve Vai, you don't know him personally, you know him by his music and his music is whatever he wants it to be and if you were a true fan you would respect him for it.

I'm sure his next record will have some material you will be attracted to technically but if you're desperate for your fix of technicality amazement there are many guitarists out there capable, I suggest you start with Tosin Abasi.

As for this:
..frankly I have heard so much vai I dont really care what he dose in future as he is still doing the same old stuff he has been doing for years ,..the same crossing hands, I mean big deal .
I strongly recommend you attend a G3 show and I guarantee you, you will have a change in heart :)

Sincerely.

George

PS.
Brycyboy I asked that because some of the things people ask here is just that stupid like steves green instrument cable I mean its an instrument cable for crying out loud

Asking about an instrument cable an artist may use is not a bad question.
Instrument cables are a vital accessory in the signal chain to ensure that the signal is crystal clear... You get good cables and bad cables and there is no shame in discussing them all for those who take pride in their guitar sound and makes a very interesting, informative and sometimes inspiring discussion.

aaronm
Banned

#9 Post by aaronm » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:29 pm

George I have been to a G 3 and thought it was cool Vai played all my old favs and I came away in awe of the man and yes he IS amongst my favorite players if not on top of that list and has been since I started my musical quest to be a good player .
I think some people here took my thread the wrong way,.. perhaps I could have worded it better ....

Bryceyboy... Mate the toilet paper thing was just me at work have a bit of a joke ,..sorry if I offended you or any one else I don't come here to wind any one up but I do enjoy a good debate,.... after all lets talk Music,.. every ones opinions are different and this thread I feel has got some good replies and even spiced things up a little.

Guys years ago I used to come here most of you here now were,nt here then Richard pike was the sight mediator and there was some great debates about vai,.. I meet some fantastic players here one of which I meet in person and he turned out to be a really nice guy and man we used to argue like cat n dog on this site and yet we became good friends.

GYiakoumi

#10 Post by GYiakoumi » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:59 am

I'm sure it is just a misunderstanding mate, meant no offense in my post :)

aaronm
Banned

#11 Post by aaronm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:20 pm

and on offense taken I enjoyed your post mate very thought provoking and it made me see things in a different light ....Thanks,
cheers aaron

kyle am I

#12 Post by kyle am I » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:39 pm

I thought the TP thing was funny. Attempt succeeded Aaron. Actually, Steve is very busy withhis new album, Light Without Heat, he J's a father, he has to create new gear for ibanez and carving, all the stuff Vai's do. But in all of that, he still has to be a perfectionist and feel his music. Steve also said this album is going to be his best album, and his last great one. Stick it out, and God knows it will be worth it.

Big Bad Bill

#13 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:51 am

It seems Steve (or whoever) is damned if they stick to their trade mark playing style or damned if they try something new that some people don't like. I love Steve's rock guitar playing, I hate his classical stuff-that's just me.

It's become clear to me over the years, that a guitarist's 'style' is actually like their voice. It's as much part of there persona as the way they walk, the way they speak or the way they pick their nose. Trying to change an aspect of their playing is like trying to alter your voice, like being an impressionist copying someone else: it's quite a skilland entertaining but in the end it's just copying. I bet 'little Miss Car Sales Person' was an amazing player, but did she have her own voice or was she just a bit of Vai a bit of EVH a bit of Nuno....all without synthesing those elements into something that is unique to her? When you hear Steve play, of EVH or Clapton or May you recognise them instantly and that's testament to their hard work in developing their own voice.

aaronm
Banned

#14 Post by aaronm » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:57 pm

I agree bad bill

jenarom

#15 Post by jenarom » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:46 pm

kyle am I wrote:Steve also said this album is going to be his best album, and his last great one.
When did he say about this being his "last great one"? I do remember him saying in Facebook about this probably being his best playing, but his last?