VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: EVERYONE LISTEN UP
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:35 pm 
Banned

I watched the movie crossroads at this time I was learning guitar .....well Still learning
any way saw the devils guitarist and I though yeah thats wicked who is that guy

of coarse it was steve ...I still think it wasnt the classical riff that did it for me it was the rock part (i realise steve played all of it)
since then I keeped an eye out for his stuff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:36 pm 

I think I discoverd Steve from just searching the internet. I probably read about him then looked him up. Then, I went to iTunes and bought two of his songs. The first Vai song that ever vibrated my eardrums I'm pretty sure was Bad Horsie. I was amazed at how he made the guitar speak and sound like a bad, bad horsie! The other song I bought was For the Love of God. But I didn't get into that till later, when I understood the spiritual stuff. Steve has changed my view on the world greatly, and I am deeply grateful for him setting a beautiful example for me and everyone else who cares.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:27 am 

I agree with lots of previous posts, it was around 1987 when I first got a job and had the money to buy albums, in january 1988 skyscraper was released, and radio 1 played "knucklebones" while I was at work one day. Of course "just like paradise" was released as a single, and I saw the video on top of the pops.

I bought skyscraper that weekend, and loved it, so started digging back to eat em and smile, then the van halen back catalogue, flex able etc. Ive followed Steve religiously since then, through his whitesnake and solo stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:38 am 

I saw the I Would Love To video on MTV - yes, they used to show videos - and was hooked immediately.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:42 am 

in 1996 i bought a copy of Total Guitar for the tab of 'Blackbird' by The Beatles. Steve was on the cover looking super cool with one of his Jem's 8)
the cd that came with the magazine had 'The Crying Machine' on it and i loved it. i bought 'Fire Garden' and found out that Steve was playing in Perth only a few months later.
sadly i didn't get to the gig because of my anxiety disorder, i wasn't comfortable going out to a concert at an unknown venue.
i tried to look through the venue a month or so before the gig but security wouldn't let me.
3 years later i see Steve play the same venue for The Ultra Zone tour :headbang
in 2004 i had a ticket to see him but i was having problems with the medication i was on and didn't go :( i still have the ticket.
in 2006 i see Steve on the Aussie G3 tour :guitar and almost a year ago i was at the Perth Masterclass, thankfully i had better medication to help me :mrgreen: :peace

^ i gave him the hat in the photo, it's a Royal Flying Doctor's hat :peace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:18 am 

BigBunny wrote:
in 1996 i bought a copy of Total Guitar for the tab of 'Blackbird' by The Beatles. Steve was on the cover looking super cool with one of his Jem's 8)
the cd that came with the magazine had 'The Crying Machine' on it and i loved it.

I bought that mag as well. The CD was awesome. If I remember correctly, it had a Kenny Wayne Shepard song on it. That was pretty good too!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:42 pm 

Bryceybhoy wrote:
BigBunny wrote:
the cd that came with the magazine had 'The Crying Machine' on it and i loved it.

I bought that mag as well. The CD was awesome. If I remember correctly, it had a Kenny Wayne Shepard song on it. That was pretty good too!

now i'm wondering where the cd is! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:17 am 

It was either in the movie Crossroads, or in DLR's Yankee Rose video. I've been oh a Vai-high ever since.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:13 pm 
Newcomer

When I was around 48 or 49 years old. My teenage son, who had just started getting into playing electric guitar got me to listen to some of his stuff. I was blown away. How could I have gone all these years, listening to rock and metal & never heard about him. I am making up for lost time now. Saw Steve play live in Durham, got the new CD and have collected some G3 vids and some older CD's to make up for what I have been missing all these years.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:38 pm 

srouth1960 wrote:
When I was around 48 or 49 years old. My teenage son, who had just started getting into playing electric guitar got me to listen to some of his stuff. I was blown away. How could I have gone all these years, listening to rock and metal & never heard about him. I am making up for lost time now. Saw Steve play live in Durham, got the new CD and have collected some G3 vids and some older CD's to make up for what I have been missing all these years.

better late then never :headbang :guitar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:50 am 
Newcomer

I first heard him on the Alcatrazz "Disturbing the Peace" album which I picked up at a record collector's display set up in a local mall. I was just getting into guitar music in a big way and Yngwie was the immediate reason for the album purchase (though I knew he was no longer in the band). Steve Vay (as I thought it was pronounced then) was killer and the album became a favorite.

Of course, Eat 'Em And Smile was next when Steve exploded everywhere. Then Flex-Able and back into some Zappa. Eventually I learned how his name was pronounced. It might have taken me a little longer to figure out Ying-wee. :?

Kurt