The Middle of Everywhere

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Big Bad Bill

Re: The Middle of Everywhere

#16 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:37 am

Steve himself has acknowledged that he has loyal fans but they don't all like everything he does. I fall into that category. I love all his music except his orchestral output. Its a shame (for me) that his efforts in almost the last decade, have been concentrated on the area that I really dislike. I've found this very frustrating and I personally see this as the direct reason I am unmotivated to play guitar and indeed listen to any music at all! Sad aren't I? I also see it as a reason this message board is virtually dead in comparison to its activity when Steve was releasing (rock) albums.

Once again anuj, this is a message board, where opinions are expressed and discussed whatever they may be. This isn't a place where we just 'brown nose' and run around with a silly grin on our faces, hands flapping in the air, shrieking at anything Steve does-that's just too...too.... Justin Bieber! If you disagree with me, tell us all why you disagree with me and coax this dead board into vibrancy once again.

If my comments upset you, and I'm sure they don't-nothing could- then please don't read them. They are easily identifiable since they are written in blue font. Skip over them, they seem to be rubbish anyway. However, it seems many people seem to quite enjoy some of my posts, some understand my sarcasm, some see that they are a gentle dig at the 'fanboy/girls' for whom Steve can do no wrong and maybe they see them as a stimulus ('stimulus' - L. stick with sharp point to encourage the movement of cattle) to Steve et al. to go back to the 'glory days'.

Prezidentman

#17 Post by Prezidentman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:20 am

Big Bad Bill wrote: I also see it as a reason this message board is virtually dead in comparison to its activity when Steve was releasing (rock) albums.
That might be a part of it, but for me personally, it's more about the lack of actual new material being released and lack of updates on the site in terms of new information (album updates), videos, lessons etc. In other words, there just isn't as much to talk about as there was a few years ago, though lately there have been a few updates, so I don't want to be too negative.

anuj

#18 Post by anuj » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:41 am

Once again anuj, this is a message board, where opinions are expressed and discussed whatever they may be.
Which is what I was doing, and with the freedom afforded to all folks here, I choose to not engage in what I consider pointless debate. :) That said, we've had this conversation before, and I'll elect to not take the bait this time. :)

Big Bad Bill

#19 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:21 am

Prezidentman wrote:]...so I don't want to be too negative.
Why? In case Steve scrubs you off his Christmas card list? :wink:

Big Bad Bill

#20 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:31 am

anuj wrote:Which is what I was doing, and with the freedom afforded to all folks here, I choose to not engage in what I consider pointless debate. :)
So why did you initiate things with your comment? You know how I feel about the way the output of the Vai empire has run down into a trickle of minuscule, polarised proportions.
anuj wrote:That said, we've had this conversation before, and I'll elect to not take the bait this time. :)
So why did you decide to bait me? If you'd simply supported your comment in a way that I always try to do, then I could understand it, but you never do. You make comments, I make statements about our current situation. Nobody knows how to debate any more and can only communicate in 160 character. I blame things like Twshitter and Face Ache...and Thatcher, of course :wink:

I really miss Mikey and I miss Richard Pike....

Big Bad Bill

#21 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:42 am

....I miss Steve.....

anuj

#22 Post by anuj » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:42 am

(:

Samuele

#23 Post by Samuele » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:22 am

For those interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Fuk3uFw8I
Interviews with the composer, conductor and artistic manager after the world premiere of The Middle of Everywhere, composed by Steve Vai and played by the Noord Nederlands Orkest (North Netherlands Orchestra) on 17 november 2011 in Groningen.

Bryceybhoy

#24 Post by Bryceybhoy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:43 am

I'm definitely interested in thsi type of stuff, but it sadly doesn't mean I have to like it.

Absolutely gutted at the lack of news about the new album. No idea when it will be released, who is in the band, track numbers. I'm so sad I'd even like to know what the album artwork looks like. Yes, I' sad.

Can't this Andy guy actually get his finger out and update this site? I worry about the future because that Guitar TV website is shite!

sap

#25 Post by sap » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:10 pm

Maybe he's finished with making conventional records and is just going to make orchestra music.

Prezidentman

#26 Post by Prezidentman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:21 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Prezidentman wrote:]...so I don't want to be too negative.
Why? In case Steve scrubs you off his Christmas card list? :wink:
Yeah, that would devastate me :?

Prezidentman

#27 Post by Prezidentman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:26 pm

sap wrote:Maybe he's finished with making conventional records and is just going to make orchestra music.
I remember reading an interview in a guitar mag around 1999 where Steve said something along the lines that he's getting pretty bored and tired of the standard make-a-record-and-tour cycle...and that he'd like to do some more unconventional projects, work with people outside the music industry and stuff like that...so that might by partly why he does all the orchestra projects...

aaronm
Banned

#28 Post by aaronm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Dyens wrote:@Big Bad BIll

Do you mean to dismiss "art music" as noise or something?
I am not familiar with all 'art music' so I cold never make such a sweeping statement. I think 'The Middle of Nowhere' is essentially noise. Its like those visual artists who daub canvasses with elephant crap,. They say they do it very carefully with much planning and time-consuming thought and no doubt they do, but all they produce is 'art' that looks at best like anyone with canvas and free-access to elephant faeces (have friends who are zoo keepers perhaps) could produce it. The acid test would be to place this 'pooh art' next to a Turner and get a few hundred people to have a look at each and secretly ballot them as to which they think is most aesthetically pleasing. The ballot has to be secret because folks try and appear 'wind-swept and interesting' when being asked to evaluate pooh art before TV cameras and journalists etc when in fact just below the surface, they probably share the majorities aesthetic values.

Many years ago, a journalist took canvasses ad got kids to daub paint on them in any way they wanted-I think they rode over them bicycle tyres covered in paint. Then he presented the 'paintings' to art critics suggesting they were by a new exciting artists and each critic interpreted each painting in an entirely different way (suggesting that the artists were unable to convey a particular meaning) and they all said how wonderfully skilled and fantastic they were and how they were extremely promising artists. When the truth was revealed, the back-pedalling (excuse the pun) was hilarious to behold.
well big bad bill ...wonder how bad you really are ......Mate I agree with what you have written.

kyle am I

#29 Post by kyle am I » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:29 pm

hmmmm, another controversial Vai topic. Where to start...

I think Steve likes change and being unique, and if he did what people always thought he was going to do, he wouldn't have done half the things he has.

I am glad to see an artist that can expand their musical horizons to two very opposite realms of musicianship. It adds texture and seasons the feel, tone, and really truly a new level of what can be done to expand both realms. Very rarely do rock and orchestral music come together well, and you really cant play an orchestra on guitar, or the guitar as an entire orchestra. I think Steve has more to offer than just guitar music. And he is getting older, someday he will reach a limit to his playing abilities due to age, and he said that he will not drop the guitar, but head deeper in instrumental orchestra pieces.

aaronm
Banned

#30 Post by aaronm » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:57 pm

mmm its funny just how many guitarists and some bands end up with an orcestra its allmost like they dont feel like a complete Musician untill they do the classical thing .

That korny classical thing vai did on crossroads,.. I though the rock guitar he did on that movie should have won the dual 8)

for christs sake the devil was the judge ,,....I watch that film alot.

And Bad Bill yeah it would be good to see this board get back to like it was pre 2000 were you here back then