The Middle of Everywhere

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Filafizz

The Middle of Everywhere

#1 Post by Filafizz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:14 am

Clap, clap, clap, FANTASTIC the "documentary" made about composing, scoring, etc. Very intelligent editing, it's nice to watch and see Steve's way of creating "paper" music. Gee it makes, at least me, think "what a nice guy is this guy". Steve might be a very clever person, as we see his sence of humor, inherent to those kind of people, as well his kindness to treat people. And it makes me wonder "I wish I can one day get to know him", it would be a Stairway to Heaven!!!!

Congratulations Mr. Steve Vai, thats why you influenced me so much in my way of playing guitar
and thinking "organically" (literally in my -organic- way, desire, feelings, etc) as I play or creat music. I'm proud to say that you are my #1 mentor, not in a "fan"tic (or fanatic) means, literally, in spititual one.

LINK : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbINP1TywVg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

prman

Re: The Middle of Everywhere

#2 Post by prman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:37 am

I enjoyed the video also. For years I would have liked to know how Steve´s creational process works and this gave me a little insight on the subject. Thank you for that! I also hope that "The Middle of Everywhere" would be recorded and made available on some format.

Filafizz

#3 Post by Filafizz » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:37 am

We're here to help each other, with Vai's assistance, for shure.

Here comes another, just the way you like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rvH1_rD ... digest_mon

Enjoy it, like most of us.

Regards.

Big Bad Bill

#4 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:57 am

Yes the music was really catchy and I can't get it out of my head :roll:

Its noise!

EyE

#5 Post by EyE » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:44 am

For those who missed yesterday's broadcasting on Radio 4 of the worldpremiere of The North Netherlands Orchestra performing Steve Vai's 'In The Middle of Everywhere'..........then here's the link:
http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=13521965" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Noord Nederlands Orkest
Led by - Michel Tabachnik
‘Steve Vai meets Stravinsky’
KRO-recording 17 november 2011
Oosterpoort Groningen

Samuele

#6 Post by Samuele » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:43 am

Thank you John, it's a beautiful composition, definitely one of my favorite by Steve. It's great to be able to listen back!

Nate from San Diego

#7 Post by Nate from San Diego » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:07 am

C'est Magnificent!!!

A million Thank You's, Mr. Eye.

:mrgreen:

litlgrnman

#8 Post by litlgrnman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks for the link!

EyE

#9 Post by EyE » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:40 pm

:wink:

Dyens

#10 Post by Dyens » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:24 pm

I've got to admit, I didn't have very high hopes for this piece. I thought it might be a place that Steve might not be able to pull off. And while I still could have used a tiny bit more organization overall, I think it was a really good piece with lots of good ideas.

I do wish that in Steve's mini-documentary he didn't spend so much time trying to convince us that it was really hard and full of crazy scales and doing so in a way that suggested that it made the piece better. You know what's really hard and full of insane sounds? Schoenberg, but he never mentioned it as a selling point to his music. It isn't a big deal at all, and the piece was great regardless of how I took those comments. And the performers were exceptional, too. If Steve does this again, I'll be ready to listen!

Big Bad Bill

#11 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:28 am

Dyens wrote:I do wish that in Steve's mini-documentary he didn't spend so much time trying to convince us that it was really hard and full of crazy scales and doing so in a way that suggested that it made the piece better.
I think Steve's trying to gain some credibility by doing this because, despite what everyone says, this is at best 'art music' and like Tracey Emin's art, one is hears it and thinks, I could do that!

Filafizz

#12 Post by Filafizz » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks for the "new brand" news from Netherlands.

Big hug!!! :mrgreen:

Dyens

#13 Post by Dyens » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:25 pm

@Big Bad BIll

Do you mean to dismiss "art music" as noise or something?

Big Bad Bill

#14 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:56 am

Dyens wrote:@Big Bad BIll

Do you mean to dismiss "art music" as noise or something?
I am not familiar with all 'art music' so I cold never make such a sweeping statement. I think 'The Middle of Nowhere' is essentially noise. Its like those visual artists who daub canvasses with elephant crap,. They say they do it very carefully with much planning and time-consuming thought and no doubt they do, but all they produce is 'art' that looks at best like anyone with canvas and free-access to elephant faeces (have friends who are zoo keepers perhaps) could produce it. The acid test would be to place this 'pooh art' next to a Turner and get a few hundred people to have a look at each and secretly ballot them as to which they think is most aesthetically pleasing. The ballot has to be secret because folks try and appear 'wind-swept and interesting' when being asked to evaluate pooh art before TV cameras and journalists etc when in fact just below the surface, they probably share the majorities aesthetic values.

Many years ago, a journalist took canvasses ad got kids to daub paint on them in any way they wanted-I think they rode over them bicycle tyres covered in paint. Then he presented the 'paintings' to art critics suggesting they were by a new exciting artists and each critic interpreted each painting in an entirely different way (suggesting that the artists were unable to convey a particular meaning) and they all said how wonderfully skilled and fantastic they were and how they were extremely promising artists. When the truth was revealed, the back-pedalling (excuse the pun) was hilarious to behold.

anuj

#15 Post by anuj » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:17 pm

You spend so so so much time expressing your disdain at anything Steve does that isn't what you like, it's kinda .. not so much fun. :)