EVO Experenices

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
guitarmattms

EVO Experenices

#1 Post by guitarmattms » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:22 am

Hey, Guys.

I know Vai stated that he would like to plan a tour for next year. I will deft. be going since this will be my first time seeing him live (solo) I saw him do the Experenice Hendrix shows last year. Anyway, I'm wondering how much the meet and greet packages usually run? I'm going to try and start saving up for one. I would love to have him sign my Ibby. Just got a signed by Paul Gilbert and if I had Steve sign it it would be complete.

Thanks,

Matt

Big Bad Bill

Re: EVO Experenices

#2 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Mikey used to sort it all out but who knows if Andy will be doing the same sort of thing. Hang on though, at about £100 per EVO Experience ticket, I'd be surprised if the Vai camp didn't! :wink:

guitarmattms

#3 Post by guitarmattms » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:32 pm

I can do that. I paid $195 for my Mr. Big event.

Big Bad Bill

#4 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:45 am

It was quite fun to be handed EVO during the event and play her for a bit. I remember fluffing the riff from 'Answers' and I'm sure I saw Steve wincing!

guitarmattms

#5 Post by guitarmattms » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:06 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:It was quite fun to be handed EVO during the event and play her for a bit. I remember fluffing the riff from 'Answers' and I'm sure I saw Steve wincing!
Cool, I bet that was fun.

How did his guitar feel? Just like any other jem or was it quit different?
They claim that it's not modify but I wouldn't be surprised it is. The last tour he did my friend and I were suppose to see him in Minneapolis but it was during finals week at his school so he couldn't go. There was know I was driving to Chicago or Minneapolis on my own at that time. Now I would do it.

Big Bad Bill

#6 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:56 am

guitarmattms wrote:Cool, I bet that was fun.
It was!
guitarmattms wrote:How did his guitar feel? Just like any other jem or was it quit different?
Acoustically it was much louder than any other Jem I've played-it was more like My Ibanez J-Custom in that respect and in the fact it felt more solid that 'regular' Ibanez guitars. My J-Custom feels so solid you could jack a car up with it and EVO felt the same.
guitarmattms wrote:They claim that it's not modify but I wouldn't be surprised it is.
Its an old guitar and I'm sure they cover themselves by saying 'its had a lot of work done to it over the years which may have enhanced it'!

Bryceybhoy

#7 Post by Bryceybhoy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:23 am

I strummed a chord with it, then handed it to the next guy. Some guy played a widdly solo on it and I remember Steve saying, "Hey, don't play it better than me."

The Evo Experience was quite cool. The soundcheck was amazing. At my Evo he recorded a video for Under it All......which, of course, we will never see the light of day as the Real Illusions DVD was shelved.

I would definitely do it again.

guitarmattms

#8 Post by guitarmattms » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:59 am

Bryceybhoy wrote:I strummed a chord with it, then handed it to the next guy. Some guy played a widdly solo on it and I remember Steve saying, "Hey, don't play it better than me."

The Evo Experience was quite cool. The soundcheck was amazing. At my Evo he recorded a video for Under it All......which, of course, we will never see the light of day as the Real Illusions DVD was shelved.

I would definitely do it again.
That sucks, I remember hearing about that but nothing never came out of it. I went to an Andy Timmons clinic last night up in Chicago. That was a lot of fun, he talked about his Mesa amps and gear. The store had one of his Ibby's there and he played it. He sounded exactly the same. I never heard it before he said that after a while he thinks the guitar looses it tone has a week tone.

Hopefully, I'll get to do that this time around. I would be too afraid of dropping EVO. Nice pic Bill!

Bryceybhoy

#9 Post by Bryceybhoy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:02 am

guitarmattms wrote:
Hopefully, I'll get to do that this time around. I would be too afraid of dropping EVO. Nice pic Bill!
I wouldn't worry about dropping Evo. It's pretty beat up anyway. It did feel amazing to hold his guitar in your hands. Does that make me sound sad?

guitarmattms

#10 Post by guitarmattms » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:15 am

Bryceybhoy wrote:
guitarmattms wrote:
I wouldn't worry about dropping Evo. It's pretty beat up anyway. It did feel amazing to hold his guitar in your hands. Does that make me sound sad?

I don't think so it's like the holy grail of guitars for us. When I met Paul I wanted to ask him if I could play his Fireman.

Big Bad Bill

#11 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:00 am

Bryceybhoy wrote:I would definitely do it again.
I'm not sure I would, but that's because I'm mad with Steve (for reasons all too apparent).

Bryceybhoy

#12 Post by Bryceybhoy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:13 am

Ha ha. Can you imagine the scene?

Steve: "Okay, great to have you all hear. Questions?"
Bryceybhoy: "When is the that damn Jewel Box going to be finished?"
Steve: "Next question."

Big Bad Bill

#13 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:28 pm

BBB: "When's the next instalment of the 'Real Illusions Trilogy' going to be tackled and released, Steve?
Steve: "Next question....Anyone....? Have I told you about my orchestral work? <silence. Tumble weed rolls past>

guitarmattms

#14 Post by guitarmattms » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:41 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:BBB: "When's the next instalment of the 'Real Illusions Trilogy' going to be tackled and released, Steve?
Steve: "Next question....Anyone....? Have I told you about my orchestral work? <silence. Tumble weed rolls past>
My friend and I were just having a discussion about this. We're ready for some straight up rock and roll guitar. Please don't turn into the next Eddie Van Halen. :D

Big Bad Bill

#15 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:24 am

guitarmattms wrote:We're ready for some straight up rock and roll guitar.
BBB: So when's the 'balls to the wall', 'stripped down', 'Alien Love Secrets on steroids' album coming out, Steve?
Steve: Next question......have I told you there's two oboe parts in my new orchestral score? No? You know the one being performed only in the Netherlands and nowhere else even if you were vaguely interested in it....? <distant sound of snoring>