Short Haired Steve

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Big Bad Bill

Short Haired Steve

#1 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:23 am

So Steve's cut his hair! Good job, its unseemly for a man of his age to have long hair :wink: Even EVH cut his hair a while back.

RAI

Re: Short Haired Steve

#2 Post by RAI » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:07 pm

Wow, finally some "news" from the world of Vai.........

:roll:

egratteau

#3 Post by egratteau » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:23 pm

I seem to remember becoming a fan of Steve's when he actually played rock guitar. Now, so much of his time seems to be writing orchestra pieces. I'm all for letting him do whatever pleases him or brings home the bacon, but I won't be a paying customer for that material.

I realize it's "just hair," but there is a little something I call the "Samson Effect." Do you remember what happened to Metallica when they cut their hair short? Their music went to crap and they lost 1/2 their fan base. Hopefully Steve will be the exception.
Last edited by egratteau on Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samuele

#4 Post by Samuele » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:50 am

egratteau wrote:I realize it's "just hair," but there is a little something I call the "Samson Effect." Do you remember what happened to Metallica when they cut their hair short? Their music went to crap and they lost 1/2 their fan base. Hopefully Steve will be the exception.
Come on, he did that a number of times in the past. Right after the S&R tour, once again after the Fire Garden Tour, then again in 2002, 2006 and 2008. :)

Big Bad Bill

#5 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:25 am

Yeah, I noticed he very briefly mentioned the 'complex rock album' and then spent the rest of announcement talking about the orchestral music he's doing. Its clear where his heart actually lies and I fear for his future output. I wish I could get into his classical music, but its just...well.... the expression 'Emperors New Clothes' come to mind! Give me some Bach, Vivaldi, Handel et al. any day of the week/month/year/millennium!

Big Bad Bill

#6 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:27 am

Samuele wrote:
egratteau wrote:I realize it's "just hair," but there is a little something I call the "Samson Effect." Do you remember what happened to Metallica when they cut their hair short? Their music went to crap and they lost 1/2 their fan base. Hopefully Steve will be the exception.
Come on, he did that a number of times in the past. Right after the S&R tour, once again after the Fire Garden Tour, then again in 2002, 2006 and 2008. :)
Yeah but look at the quality of the albums after he' d cut his hair-not the best. I think egratteau is onto something here. Steve's talent lies in his hair!

anuj

#7 Post by anuj » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:19 am

I don't really have any complaints about the quality of his work. To each their own, presumably (well, not unless BBB has his way :p)

Bryceybhoy

#8 Post by Bryceybhoy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:49 am

Really not that bothered about his orchestral stuff. The second disc on Sound Theories had some horrible music on it. But each to his own. If some fans like it, then so be it.

He just doesn't seem that into the new album. But maybe we're reading him wrongly and being critical for the sake of it. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. We asked for an update and we got one, so we can't really argue with that.

Loving the new hair :shock:

Big Bad Bill

#9 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:39 am

Bryceybhoy wrote:Really not that bothered about his orchestral stuff. The second disc on Sound Theories had some horrible music on it. But each to his own. If some fans like it, then so be it.
I totally agree with you. Its just noise and no doubt that's because 'I can't understand it' but I think its because they're the 'Emperor's New Clothes'....All I want is a tune I can have hanging around in my head all day and in my sleep, something that makes me want to pick up a guitar or sit in front of a keyboard and be inspired by.

Lesser developed apes have suggested in the past that Steve's usual music is 'wanking'-music for self-gratification, but I think the new orchestral stuff is actually wanking and that's OK, we all need a wank sometimes, but not when its preferred to actually making love which is what I fear is happening. Its almost as though Steve feels his music only has merit or is regarded are 'serious' when classical musicians are playing it to traditional concert halls to people in evening wear and opera glasses. Who here would be happy if Steve completely stopped his rock guitar music and just produce his orchestral music?
Bryceybhoy wrote:He just doesn't seem that into the new album. But maybe we're reading him wrongly and being critical for the sake of it. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. We asked for an update and we got one, so we can't really argue with that.
That's my feeling too, but again what do we know from a brief YouTube clip? I think it'd be impossible for anyone to devout so much time to birthing any type of composition without being completely 'into it'.
Bryceybhoy wrote:Loving the new hair :shock:
Indeed, its much better. Only women should have long hair (and Eastern mystics) :wink:

Bryceybhoy

#10 Post by Bryceybhoy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:33 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:All I want is a tune I can have hanging around in my head all day and in my sleep, something that makes me want to pick up a guitar or sit in front of a keyboard and be inspired by.
Bingo. That's what I want. I still vividly remember the very first time I heard the Crying Machine. I got it free with a guitar mag. I must have played that song about 15 times a day for a week. Drove mother nuts.

Just to clarify. The hair is cool......the hat is dreadful. And don't even start me on the shirt.

BigBunny

#11 Post by BigBunny » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:07 am

:cry: do you think he'll grow it back in time for October Masterclasses? :twisted:

777lovein

#12 Post by 777lovein » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:01 am

now hes looking like million others. looks much better with long hair :peace

Jenn Pix

#13 Post by Jenn Pix » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:05 am

Still the sexiest man ever...
but damn, I miss the hair!

BigBunny

#14 Post by BigBunny » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:55 am

Jenn Pix wrote:Still the sexiest man ever...
he didn't even put it on ebay :cry: :lol:

Jenn Pix

#15 Post by Jenn Pix » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:41 am

BigBunny wrote:
Jenn Pix wrote:Still the sexiest man ever...
he didn't even put it on ebay :cry: :lol:

Yeah, what's up with that? :lol: