New Vai Album Release Date...

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
tk777

New Vai Album Release Date...

#1 Post by tk777 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Anyone have any ideas when the new album is gunna come out ? I'm sure it's going to blow us all away...Strange how Steve said he's doing a 2011 World Tour but yet there is still no sign of the album or any titles, dates, track names floating about. You'd think it'd be a bit late now to release the album and do a world tour.

I hope he comes to the UK this year, He seems to like coming over to the UK in October...So we'll see..

Prezidentman

Re: New Vai Album Release Date...

#2 Post by Prezidentman » Mon May 02, 2011 7:44 am

I think it's too early to say...but I don't see it being released any earlier than early next year considering Steve hasn't even completed recording yet....I just hope the near 7 year wait for this album will be worth it.

EyE

#3 Post by EyE » Mon May 02, 2011 10:58 am

http://www.vai.com/album/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check Steve's Facebook.

seven layer cake
Newcomer

#4 Post by seven layer cake » Tue May 03, 2011 6:58 pm

I'm sure well worth the wait!! enjoy the build up to the new record... :D

bigd

#5 Post by bigd » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:56 am

Will this be in the Real Illusions series or has that been forgotten now?

8)

RAI

#6 Post by RAI » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:47 am

As with Steve's other projects, the "Real Illusions" endeavour has probably been long abandoned....

Prezidentman

#7 Post by Prezidentman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:38 am

Don't think the "intended" RI trilogy has been completely abondoned...I know a lot of the music is written and even recorded...but it's a complex thing and since Steve decided to do a "simpler" album at this point before going back to the RI project means that it will probably take years before it's ressurected again.

Samuele

#8 Post by Samuele » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:29 am

In a recent interview Steve said the new album will be released either by the end of October or early next year (because of the Christmas rush). It depends on how things work out, he'll be preparing for the Cliff show and also contributing to the new Joe Jackson album, so we'll see.

Regarding the Real Illusions project, he said from the beginning that it would take a lot of time to complete, maybe even the rest of his career. I know it's very dear to him, he said Reflections is probably his favorite one among his past studio albums, so I don't think he will ever abandon this project.

And like John said, check out the FB page, sometimes Steve posts little things about the album.

Big Bad Bill

#9 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:03 pm

I'm willing to bet money that the RI trilogy is never completed, although the music will probably appear in some other form on other albums. Steve has had some really complex long-term ideas but his track record (Secret Jewel box for example) suggests he gets distracted/tempted by other projects such as tours with other artists and his obsession with the time/effort-sapping classical music stuff is clearly a major distraction/pleasure in his life that he can't seem to ignore!

It seems that he is only human, afterall :(

mzeroq
Newcomer

#10 Post by mzeroq » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:48 am

Prezidentman wrote:I think it's too early to say...but I don't see it being released any earlier than early next year considering Steve hasn't even completed recording yet....I just hope the near 7 year wait for this album will be worth it.
Oh, it'll be worth it. If there's anything about Steve that can be said is that his stuff is definitely worth the wait.

I'll just have to continue to clean up my drool until it comes out. :D

Prezidentman

#11 Post by Prezidentman » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:59 pm

mzeroq wrote:
Prezidentman wrote:I think it's too early to say...but I don't see it being released any earlier than early next year considering Steve hasn't even completed recording yet....I just hope the near 7 year wait for this album will be worth it.
Oh, it'll be worth it. If there's anything about Steve that can be said is that his stuff is definitely worth the wait.

I'll just have to continue to clean up my drool until it comes out. :D
Well, you know, this reminds of when Eric Johnson released Venus Isle in 1996 after 6 years and even though the album was up to the usual high standard the reactions to it were sort of: "Great!..but how could this have taken 6 years??"....I'm just a bit afraid that my reaction will be similar in this case, that after so many years I will be expecting way too much...but I hope I'm wrong and that the album blows me away!

mzeroq
Newcomer

#12 Post by mzeroq » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:37 am

I'm with ya, man.

Bryceybhoy

#13 Post by Bryceybhoy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:44 pm

If he stays away from the classical stuff, I'm sure it will be a good album. Steve doesn't really do poor studio albums.

At least it's something to look forward to.

Mind you, if the quality of the VaiTunes is anything to go by, we could be in serious trouble!

lydian7

#14 Post by lydian7 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Prezidentman wrote: Well, you know, this reminds of when Eric Johnson released Venus Isle in 1996 after 6 years and even though the album was up to the usual high standard the reactions to it were sort of: "Great!..but how could this have taken 6 years??"....I'm just a bit afraid that my reaction will be similar in this case, that after so many years I will be expecting way too much...but I hope I'm wrong and that the album blows me away!
Aren't you guys forgetting something? There was a video interview of Steve not long back saying that this new album will be a stop-gap until a new bigger album project is finished (possibly RI2?), similar to when ALS was released while the finishing touches were being applied to Fire Garden. Steve also mentioned that the new album will be a bare-bones, all-out type stripped down guitar record, similar to ALS.

I think he'll deliver. He never releases any album unless he's 100% satisfied with it.

Prezidentman

#15 Post by Prezidentman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:16 am

lydian7 wrote:
Prezidentman wrote: Well, you know, this reminds of when Eric Johnson released Venus Isle in 1996 after 6 years and even though the album was up to the usual high standard the reactions to it were sort of: "Great!..but how could this have taken 6 years??"....I'm just a bit afraid that my reaction will be similar in this case, that after so many years I will be expecting way too much...but I hope I'm wrong and that the album blows me away!
Aren't you guys forgetting something? There was a video interview of Steve not long back saying that this new album will be a stop-gap until a new bigger album project is finished (possibly RI2?), similar to when ALS was released while the finishing touches were being applied to Fire Garden. Steve also mentioned that the new album will be a bare-bones, all-out type stripped down guitar record, similar to ALS.

I think he'll deliver. He never releases any album unless he's 100% satisfied with it.
You're right, but what type of record it is doesn't really change anything, it'll be a new studio album after 7 years...I do hope that it delivers and if it's as good as ALS than that will be fantastic!!