Video of things to come . . .

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
lydian2000

Re: Video of things to come . . .

#46 Post by lydian2000 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:20 pm

anuj wrote:
Bryceybhoy wrote: I'm so close to tears I almost bought the new Black Hole Worm Snakes thingy - or whateveritiscalled - Joe Satriani album the other day. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't because that would no doubt provide another disappointment, thus plunging me closer to the edge of musical despair.
It's a damn good record, for whatever it's worth. Mike Keneally on keys completely makes it.
I was about to post the exact same comment!, it's a nice relief which shall avoid you to keep your complete musical despair at bay for a while!

:peace

lydian2000

#47 Post by lydian2000 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Balls2TheWall wrote:Agree wholeheartedly. Great post. I can't really fault the "We'll post and update when there's an update to post" line that Mikey gave though. He was always very forthcoming with other information when asked. At least he didn't say a date or promise something else that didn't come true. Maybe the current state of things is why he left. Who knows.

It does beg the question to those defending Steve in this discussion: Are you honestly happy that Steve blurts out all the stuff coming down the pipeline but never gets to most of it? Don't you feel just a bit toyed with, being told one thing but getting another (in this case nothing)? Are you genuinely content that there's been only one studio album in the last 10 years?

Just as Bryceybhoy says, we all love Steve. That's why we're here. However just because you love someone doesn't mean they're above criticism when it's justified.

- Balls
Again, this kind of post makes me realize why I enjoy this forum so much. because of the quality of his members.

I agree completely with what you said with Mikey, who really made me (us) feel we were "part of the experience" to quote BBB, and trying his best by restoring the truth when needed, without misleading which was and probably still is a difficult task.

On the other point, wow, indeed. One studio album in ten years! that says it all. Touring is what it is, but many artists/musicians who tour all the time and are involved in gazillion projects do put out records at a higher frequency rate.

Andy did answer elsewhere (messageboard discussions top link)and apologized that he really was(Andy) really busy completely changing the site and that does take time, and at the very least it is nice to do so(apologize).

I hope someone at Vai.com with direct access is reading all this closely.

Prezidentman

#48 Post by Prezidentman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:20 am

lydian2000 wrote:
I hope someone at Vai.com with direct access is reading all this closely.

One would hope!!!

R1FSR

#49 Post by R1FSR » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:39 am

they ARE

bob mac

#50 Post by bob mac » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:41 am

Great posts guys!! Thanks for reminding me about the "booklet" that was supposed to come with the Jewel Box, after 10 years forgot all about it...............(maybe that was the idea?)

gpancotto
Newcomer

#51 Post by gpancotto » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Hey people ! At 4:00 in the video he says he's going to lock or something inside the new studio he's building and he'll start to record a new Studio Album so.... Why are we so impatient ?

Saludos from Argentina !

HeBoMan

#52 Post by HeBoMan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:35 am

After reading all this, I would like to react also. First of all, I would like to say that english is not
my native language and therefore, I find it not easy to express my opinion exactly as I would in my own
language (opinion = emotion and for that you need the knowledge of all subtleties of a language). So sorry
if I am not so good at it as you brits and americans out there. ;o)
I am also disappointed about what happened (or didn't happen) with the SJB. I thought I was spending quite
a few dutch guilders (pre euro, mind you!) on an interesting "collector's item". In that respect, I agree
that Steve owes us completion of the box. I see that almost as a business contract. I remember asking
Steve Himself about the box during an EVO meeting and he replied that he would bring out the Alcatrazz cd
"soon after the tour". That tour was 2007........
For the other "complaints": I do not agree that Steve owes us anything there. I do not see ALS2, a 2005 RI
tour dvd, or the EVO "top secret" project as promises!. Steve was en is always very open about his ideas
for the future and I can imagine that things change. I would immediately buy a RI tour dvd, even if it
were only incoherent snippets of footage and bad sound. I remember that Mikey did a lot of filming himself
then so there must be hours and hours of material on the shelve. Knowing Steve's perfectionism, I'm
affraid that it won't meet Steve's standards and will never be put out. Yes, Satch brings out quite an
impressive series of music. But, to be honest, I quite often was disappointed with the result. Joe's
latest (and for example, Paul Gilbert's latest) were OK but I thought "I heard it all before". It is very
difficult to be original when bringing out instrumental music! Did you ever try yourself, you guitar
players? Btw: Dave Weiner accomplished this imo. I admire Steve for his constant exploration of new areas
and his strive to bring out something completely original. None of Steve's cd's ever disappointed me!
Steve did not "promise" us anything so let's not whine about it like spoiled children. Yes, times have
changed with internet fora. I remember the time that I often went to the record shop to see if there was
anything interesting and then finding (for example) a new Pink Floyd lp (yes, vinyl!). What I surprise,
you were not even aware that they were working on something! Now, with internet, we know it all and
especially Steve being very accessible and open about his ambitions and ideas gives us quite some
information on what to expect. But I hear that as plans, not promises.

Jenn Pix

#53 Post by Jenn Pix » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:47 am

HeBoMan wrote:After reading all this, I would like to react also. First of all, I would like to say that english is not
my native language and therefore, I find it not easy to express my opinion exactly as I would in my own
language (opinion = emotion and for that you need the knowledge of all subtleties of a language). So sorry
if I am not so good at it as you brits and americans out there. ;o)
I am also disappointed about what happened (or didn't happen) with the SJB. I thought I was spending quite
a few dutch guilders (pre euro, mind you!) on an interesting "collector's item". In that respect, I agree
that Steve owes us completion of the box. I see that almost as a business contract. I remember asking
Steve Himself about the box during an EVO meeting and he replied that he would bring out the Alcatrazz cd
"soon after the tour". That tour was 2007........
For the other "complaints": I do not agree that Steve owes us anything there. I do not see ALS2, a 2005 RI
tour dvd, or the EVO "top secret" project as promises!. Steve was en is always very open about his ideas
for the future and I can imagine that things change. I would immediately buy a RI tour dvd, even if it
were only incoherent snippets of footage and bad sound. I remember that Mikey did a lot of filming himself
then so there must be hours and hours of material on the shelve. Knowing Steve's perfectionism, I'm
affraid that it won't meet Steve's standards and will never be put out. Yes, Satch brings out quite an
impressive series of music. But, to be honest, I quite often was disappointed with the result. Joe's
latest (and for example, Paul Gilbert's latest) were OK but I thought "I heard it all before". It is very
difficult to be original when bringing out instrumental music! Did you ever try yourself, you guitar
players? Btw: Dave Weiner accomplished this imo. I admire Steve for his constant exploration of new areas
and his strive to bring out something completely original. None of Steve's cd's ever disappointed me!
Steve did not "promise" us anything so let's not whine about it like spoiled children. Yes, times have
changed with internet fora. I remember the time that I often went to the record shop to see if there was
anything interesting and then finding (for example) a new Pink Floyd lp (yes, vinyl!). What I surprise,
you were not even aware that they were working on something! Now, with internet, we know it all and
especially Steve being very accessible and open about his ambitions and ideas gives us quite some
information on what to expect. But I hear that as plans, not promises.

Thank you. 8) This thread was getting quite depressing.

I get anxious for the next release, just like anyone else. And I'll be the first to admit I am not a patent woman! 8)
But really, people... It was starting to get rather nasty, and I don't think we need that, do we.?.
All right... I didn't get the SJB, so I can't comment on that.
But the other projects/plans/ideas...
A creative mind is constantly buzzing with ideas and plans. Sometimes these ideas work out to become something. Many times, despite our best efforts, the idea or plan just doesn't quite work. Sometimes two or more separate ideas end up merged into one totally new project. Sometimes it's a matter of waiting for the time to be right. Sometimes...
There's a million reasons that what we may plan ends up late or even not happening. I have so many things still waiting for me to finish. And a few new things that I've started while those other projects still wait...
Like any other creative mind, Steve is subject to those "Sometimes...".. and maybe too, there are several things going at once.

Frustrating as it is to wait and wonder...
what else can we do?
Complaining about it isn't going to make it happen any faster.

Just my $0.02
for whatever it's worth

Tom

#54 Post by Tom » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:43 am

Jenn Pix, my own office desk is a craggy landscape of unfinished projects (and my personal or "creative" life even more mountainous terrain...) so I tend to share your forgiving attitude. Few of us have the pressure of a passionate fan base to contend with in our own lives. The historical interest in his own unreleased recordings and performances -- polished or unpolished as they may be -- is something that I suppose I can understand takes backseat, in Steve's career vehicle, to current inspiration and opportunity. I do hope that he carves out time for that, eventually, and I think he will. I guess I wish he'd not be so perfectionistic sometimes; one can enjoy and learn from raw, imperfect performances and mistakes just as much as from careful perfection. The raw film of the RI tour would be really great. (The Minneapolis DVD, if anything, was for me a little...too perfected, in terms of the audio. But, all the more reason to get to the live show and have a living memory. Mikey's footage of "K'm-Pee-Du-Wee" was great; there's got to be more of that.) I know little about the inside pressures of the music industry but it seems possible too that there are numerous legal or other simply logistical obstacles to the release of those other Secret Jewel Box discs and time alone may resolve some of them. I don't at all see the SJB "almost as a business contract" and never felt, in buying that item when it came out, that the continued releases were the primary incentive -- the newly available music was the incentive.

But I appreciate HeBoMan's comment that "It is very difficult to be original when bringing out
instrumental music! Did you ever try yourself, you guitar players?" Um, yes. I plan to release my latest, "Live in NYC: soloing over a few Black Label Society tunes, November 2010" -- in a secret, hidden, unfindable shoebox.

Patill

#55 Post by Patill » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:16 am

I´ve just been to a VIP lesson of Paul Gilbert which was so great and gave this whole thing a thouht.

Actually, maybe Steve is overdoing everythig at the moment. Freakin´Webpages, freakin´Photos, freakin´everything. But when I had the lesson with Paul Gilbert and I saw his "VIP Guitar Book", which is actually a 7 pages self made piece of paper with just some notations of arpeggios (on which you can play your ass off and DIE :mrgreen:), I thought hey, this guy is so very nice, open hearted and cool. I mean the cover of the VIP guitar book is a self drawed guitar guy with a pen, so absolutely minimalistic. It contains everything you need and actually those personal and very small things are the things that let your heart go warm. I thought, this guy is so minimalistic and has such a great heart with everything he gives to you, but actually his main thing is -> playin the guitar. I mean who knows his former Homepage^^? It doesn´t get any more basical :P: Even his new one right now is very basic.

When I listen to Steves recent interviews, like the new one that just came out on facebook, I almost fell asleep. It´s like if you tell a dream to somebody, it´s just boring. I mean he has some points of course, but the interviews aren´t really interesting at all. His recent interviews are more like fairytales how he got the guitar, how he developed the Legacy and stuff, but always without a guitar, more talking about life and lifestyle. Paul is always giving some tips, shows some licks on youtube, always up to date with some cool stuff.

That´s actually what I realized when being with Paul. It seems like he cares a lot about people who care about the same as he does, playing the guitar. Steve porbably should take everything entertaining down a bit and focus more on music...

Like "Shut up and play yer guitar" ;)

EyE

#56 Post by EyE » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:44 am

Well...

Seen this for awhile now and I only can agree on 1 thing (more or less). And that's the SJB. I thought the time limit for the releases of all of the cd's would be in a peroid of 10 years or so. Would be a good strive if nothing really big would come in between such as awesome projects that are handed to you as an artist which you can't hand down! When some projects came across I some how knew that the remaining cd's for the SJB would come in time. And that would/could be from now till the good man retires. So I left it with that. When they come, they come. All of them are sort of "jewels" in a way. As an average person you don't buy "jewels" every day, month or year. Jewels are special. No matter what the price is. For most people it's valuable beyond anything just because it has character or because it's a family legacy. I always thought that the Vai.com community was some sort of family. Well, family doesn't drive one with his back against the wall and then start pissing all over him! Family is family and they stick together nomatter what! So when the time comes that Steve leaves us another "jewel" I will cherish it. No matter what the time limet is. Because our main family member set's his own path that he wants to walk on. No record label pushing you to do so because your contract says so. Life shouldn't be living your life, you should life your own!

"We made him what he is..", "..and there for he ows us!" He doesn't ows us shit! Ok, we as his "hardcore" fans acknowledge to his music because "we" liked it! He didn't stuffed it in our throats and said; "here, you have to listen to this!" They do that on the radio and tv al the time, notice the difference! NO! we did that to our selfs! We liked it, we bought it! And yes offcourse, as an artist you make money by that! Isn't that normal? When you sell something, don't you want to get paid? And yes, if you "offer" a one of a kind or limited edition item, wouldn't you want it to be special and sell it for a higher amount? What's wrong with that? It's business!! Nothing is free in this world!
Patill wrote:When I listen to Steves recent interviews, like the new one that just came out on facebook, I almost fell asleep. It´s like if you tell a dream to somebody, it´s just boring. I mean he has some points of course, but the interviews aren´t really interesting at all. His recent interviews are more like fairytales how he got the guitar, how he developed the Legacy and stuff, but always without a guitar, more talking about life and lifestyle. Paul is always giving some tips, shows some licks on youtube, always up to date with some cool stuff.
You know what surprises me every time? Every interviewer that get's to do an interview with Steve some how always ends up asking the same questions over and over again! Come on! Where is your creativity? It's boring for us the fans but it even more boring for Steve to answer them again and again. And we know Steve is very patient and he just answers them. So that isn't entirely up to Steve.
But the stuff he talks about in the AGS master classes it's different. The people how decide to go to such a classes are,
1. big fans of Steve and know alot about Steve's history
2. fans of Steve that know some about Steve's history
3. intrested individuals that are not neccessarly fans of Steve but want to hear what he has to say about music, guitar, life and the industry

So with this in mind an artist (in this case, Steve Vai) has to introduce him self in such classes and tell about who he is and what he has done. If he wouldn't do that the # 3's wouldn't know why he has an Carvin Legacy amp that he uses.
Patill wrote:..That´s actually what I realized when being with Paul. It seems like he cares a lot about people who care about the same as he does, playing the guitar. Steve porbably should take everything entertaining down a bit and focus more on music...
I guess doing a master class how Paul does and sit there and go over and over again how you should do a legato or fast picking wouldn't do it for Steve! Steve knows there are alot of other musicians/guitarist that to do that and doesn't want to do that same thing. He said it ones, there are alot of great guitarist who do that well and maybe even better than me. So there for he takes it to another direction and discusses all of the other things that he gets questions about.
I don't know if you have been to a AGS but I personally found them very educational en inspiring! Never ever been to such a master class. Paul's classes are indeed different and thank God! Because you know he loves to talk about the guitar and notes and stuff. And that's the reason why we go to Paul for that stuff. Isn't great that we can make that choice?

I really hope that the negative vibe that has been here on the Vai.com forum for the last few years will dissolve. Because really folks, why would we want to thrive on that!

John

Bryceybhoy

#57 Post by Bryceybhoy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:04 am

I really don't want to start picking fights with forum members, but I think you're missing the point and generalising what some forum members, particularly myself, are trying to put across.

The forum is here for people to say how they feel. You can't order people to stop being negative. I firmly believe in my heart of hearts that I've been let down with regards to the SJB. If you don't feel that way then I don't have a problem with that.

I'm disappointed the box looks like it has been forgotten about.
I'm disappointed the booklet - which was meant to be exclusive only to SJB owners - hasn't been mentioned for about seven years.
I'm disappointed live albums are released in favour of studio albums.
I'm disappointed VaiTunes became a farce.
I'm disappointed Mikey left and we don't get updates from inside Vai HQ anymore.
I'm disappointed I've got nothing new to get excited about with regards to Steve Vai music.

I don't dislike Steve. I'm not putting him up against the wall and shouting at him. He can do what he wants. I'm just disappointed the way things have gone. That's all.

I still love this forum, I still love the usual members and the quality banter we have. We are a family. But right now I feel like I'm going through a divorce.....(see what I did there?)

lydian2000

#58 Post by lydian2000 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:16 am

EyE wrote:I really hope that the negative vibe that has been here on the Vai.com forum for the last few years will dissolve. Because really folks, why would we want to thrive on that!

John
Negative vibe? Then I also think you really are missing the point. On the contrary I think people have civilised and healthy discussions here and all agree they love Steve and say so. I believe what some of us try to say here is that they're just disappointed of having to wait that many years for things that never get achieved and some of us would just like some new music "once in a while", and that's it. Just expressing their point of view on a specific subject, not lashing out at anyone, not venting anger, not brooding for the sake of it.

At least that's not the way I see it on this forum.

Prezidentman

#59 Post by Prezidentman » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:36 am

Bryceybhoy wrote:I really don't want to start picking fights with forum members, but I think you're missing the point and generalising what some forum members, particularly myself, are trying to put across.

The forum is here for people to say how they feel. You can't order people to stop being negative. I firmly believe in my heart of hearts that I've been let down with regards to the SJB. If you don't feel that way then I don't have a problem with that.

I'm disappointed the box looks like it has been forgotten about.
I'm disappointed the booklet - which was meant to be exclusive only to SJB owners - hasn't been mentioned for about seven years.
I'm disappointed live albums are released in favour of studio albums.
I'm disappointed VaiTunes became a farce.
I'm disappointed Mikey left and we don't get updates from inside Vai HQ anymore.
I'm disappointed I've got nothing new to get excited about with regards to Steve Vai music.

I don't dislike Steve. I'm not putting him up against the wall and shouting at him. He can do what he wants. I'm just disappointed the way things have gone. That's all.

I still love this forum, I still love the usual members and the quality banter we have. We are a family. But right now I feel like I'm going through a divorce.....(see what I did there?)
Now, this is what I'm talking about..Couldn't have said it better myself! I Completely agree with everything you said.

EyE

#60 Post by EyE » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:23 am

Bryceybhoy wrote:The forum is here for people to say how they feel. You can't order people to stop being negative. I firmly believe in my heart of hearts that I've been let down with regards to the SJB. If you don't feel that way then I don't have a problem with that.
You are right! Offcourse everybody can say how they feel! Believe me, thank god we can :) but reading this thread became for "me" and I know some other members depressing. That's why I thought know it's my time to say something.
I know we can't all agree on the same thing everytime. But this is how I feel about it. That's it!
Bryceybhoy wrote: I'm disappointed the box looks like it has been forgotten about.
I can understand that.
Bryceybhoy wrote: I'm disappointed the booklet - which was meant to be exclusive only to SJB owners - hasn't been mentioned for about seven years.
I can understand that. But I can also understand it got lost in the stack of the many plans/projects that are in process.
Bryceybhoy wrote: I'm disappointed live albums are released in favour of studio albums.
I can understand but that's the favour of the artist at that moment.
Bryceybhoy wrote: I'm disappointed VaiTunes became a farce.
I can understand that :)
Bryceybhoy wrote: I'm disappointed Mikey left...
I can understand that completly but if he decides it's time to move on who are we to tell him not to.
Bryceybhoy wrote: ...and we don't get updates from inside Vai HQ anymore.
I can understand that! But....Mikey shoes are some big shoes to fill!
Bryceybhoy wrote: I'm disappointed I've got nothing new to get excited about with regards to Steve Vai music.
Again I can understand that but I like his the projects he does. Because it's totally different from what other artist do.
They produce a record, it comes out, you buy it. Most of them aren't that refreshing, and it's pretty much same ol same ol.
You go to the show and it's ok but that's it!
Haven't got that with SV, atleast, for me.

I just wanted to say my piece that's it, just like everybody else. I don't wanna pick fights aswell :)