Video of things to come . . .

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
johnbowman

Video of things to come . . .

#1 Post by johnbowman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:31 am

In the last 60 days (or so) . . . there was a video of Steve telling us what he was up to for the next year or so . . . can somebody post the link to this video if it's still available?

Thanks / :guitar

RAI

Re: Video of things to come . . .

#2 Post by RAI » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:25 am

The video is irrelevant.
Chances are that what ever he talked about will never happen.
I love Steve's stuff, but have come to realize that I cannot expect anything more than what literally is released.
Any future projects he talks about are just his "wish-list", nothing more.

lydian2000

#3 Post by lydian2000 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:42 am

Bryceybhoy

#4 Post by Bryceybhoy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:48 pm

RAI wrote:The video is irrelevant.
Chances are that what ever he talked about will never happen.
I love Steve's stuff, but have come to realize that I cannot expect anything more than what literally is released.
Any future projects he talks about are just his "wish-list", nothing more.
Ha ha! That certainly cheered up my otherwise monotonous Monday morning.

RAI

#5 Post by RAI » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:36 am

Hey, it's true though.
I'm not being a downer, just a realist.
I used to hang on every word that came out of Steve's mouth, regarding projects "in the works", or things he was planning on doing.
After almost a quarter century as a Vai-fan, I now know that Steve wants to do a lot, but usually falls short on delivering on all those things.

Biggest let-down to date?
SJB.
And that was a project that was actually started, and (as far as I know it), most of it ready to be released.
Who knows why that ended up dying a slow, and painful, death.......

johnbowman

#6 Post by johnbowman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:52 am

What some are missing . . . . Steve is in BUSINESS . . . Since the mid-term elections of 2006 the economic community has been a free fall to hell . . . that includes the music business. Pick and choose . . . you bet . . . and he'd better be very careful.

Peace and love . . . long live the 2011 tour!!! :guitar

Prezidentman

#7 Post by Prezidentman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:28 am

RAI wrote:
SJB.
And that was a project that was actually started, and (as far as I know it), most of it ready to be released.
What is SJB?

RAI

#8 Post by RAI » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:29 am

I don't think Steve has to worry a lot about the general condition of the "music business".
He's not really a part of that whole machine...
But it does affect everybody to some extent.

emericavox

#9 Post by emericavox » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:55 am

Prezidentman wrote:
RAI wrote:
SJB.
What is SJB?
Secret Jewel Box<--
-BV

Prezidentman

#10 Post by Prezidentman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:14 pm

emericavox wrote:
Prezidentman wrote:
RAI wrote:
SJB.
What is SJB?
Secret Jewel Box<--
-BV
oh, that's right, forgot about that, thanks!

Balls2TheWall

#11 Post by Balls2TheWall » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:19 pm

Totally agree with RAI here.

I've been a fan since the 80s. Have bought everything Steve has released, but I'm very disappointed with the current state of things. I'm tired of hearing Steve talk about future projects that never happen. Steve, please, don't talk about it. Just do it. Your fans are eagerly awaiting anything you put out, but you mention all these great things that never happen. But we the fans don't forget what you said you were going to do, and just end up feeling shafted.

It all began with the much-touted CD-ROM, and since then we've had the Jewel Box, which has obviously been abandoned. What an embarrassment. CDs will be long gone by the time he gets around to completing it. Then we were promised two sequels to Real Illusions, and I highly doubt we'll see those. Then there was talk of an Alien Love Secrets on steroids, but nada. Now it's VaiTunes that he's failing to deliver. So much for that "infinity shelf". Judging by what we've seen from it I think "foot-long shelf" might be a better name for it. Oh and there was the remaster of Flex-Able that never materialized despite a huge Guitar World special about it, but I wasn't that interested in that, as the album sounds great just like it is. I forgot to mention the "secret EVO surprise" too. Nothing came of that either.

Seems these days $teve is catering mostly to fans with deep pockets with the expensive EVO tickets, and the pricey master classes, and the overpriced framed music scores. Now there's a $1000+ Berklee course too. What about the fans who can't afford that? Could we get a new CD at least? Or look forward to one digital track a month? No, it doesn't seem like it. I got no problem with people spending a lot of money on the music they love, and I got no problem with Steve making money, but maybe he'd earn more if he released something everyone could afford. Just saying. Don't get me started by the waste of time tours like this Hendrix thing he's doing now. Steve is in his prime and he's wasting time being a side man on a Hendrix tour? I think a lot of fans felt the same about the Zappa tour too. It's cool, but this is time wasted that could be spent making an album.

I don't want to hear about all the amazing projects that COULD happen. I just want to SEE something happen instead of being musically prick-teased. I also don't want to be served up old shit and be told it's new either - like most of Vai-Tunes. That goes for CD re-releases too. And vinyl reissues. Give us new product, and stop milking the old stuff. We already heard it.

- Balls

johnbowman

#12 Post by johnbowman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25A6rcYjFbg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Link to video is above . . . . had to track it down my self . . . all you negative Nelly's :guitar

lydian2000

#13 Post by lydian2000 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:40 pm

johnbowman wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25A6rcYjFbg

Link to video is above . . . . had to track it down my self . . . all you negative Nelly's :guitar
:evil: or just read my post way above and click on the link-in blue like all LINKS- I actually tracked down and provided(you do know how to click, do you?).

the Nellies salute you, and the Nellies made completely relevant points. It took me a few years to come to the same conclusion, so now I'm not expecting anything until it is actually released, but it allowed me to discover other music and artists in the process(I mean while waiting for projects that never saw the light of day), and I don't regret that.

:peace

Prezidentman

#14 Post by Prezidentman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:26 pm

Balls2TheWall wrote: Don't get me started by the waste of time tours like this Hendrix thing he's doing now. Steve is in his prime and he's wasting time being a side man on a Hendrix tour? I think a lot of fans felt the same about the Zappa tour too. It's cool, but this is time wasted that could be spent making an album.

- Balls
Well, he does what he likes and I wouldn't call this tour a waste of time, it's what musicians do....I just wish that it was at least documented and released in some form so we could all get to enjoy it, because from what I've seen, Steve does some neat stuff on the Hendrix tunes.

Big Bad Bill

#15 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:39 am

Balls2TheWall wrote:I don't want to hear about all the amazing projects that COULD happen. I just want to SEE something happen instead of being musically prick-teased. I also don't want to be served up old shit and be told it's new either - like most of Vai-Tunes. That goes for CD re-releases too. And vinyl reissues. Give us new product, and stop milking the old stuff. We already heard it.

- Balls
Well said...Balls! One of the wonderful things about Steve and his music was that it was fan-orientated and we felt we were part of his vision. But now that feeling has all but evaporated and I get the distinct feeling Steve is in it to make money and to please only himself with lucrative tours as a guest guitarist and orchestra stuff.

I wonder if Steve is aware of the tide of emotional change amongst his fans as evidenced on this forum? He once described us as 'fiercely loyal' and indeed I certainly was once. But you can only disappoint fans so many times before that loyalty fades and crumbles to dust. My loyalty is looking distinctly grey and drying out around the edges!