Vai Festival Holland - Tickets for sale!

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Polymnie

Re: Vai Festival Holland - Tickets for sale!

#91 Post by Polymnie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:14 am

Check Paco here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS_zFRaH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... re=related
Paco is on good-byes Tour. He will be at Zenith of Paris November 16th.
Regrettably the good places are too expensive for me.
We already listened to his music when I was a child.
I remember to have seen him with John McLaughlin and Al Di Meola there is... so much time.
Unforgettable! :)

ocuj

#92 Post by ocuj » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:23 am

I recommend the Paco farewell tour to anyone. It's 2,5 hours of pure awesomness. Best concert I've seen this year. Until tonight that is.

Synchronicity
Newcomer

#93 Post by Synchronicity » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:12 pm

I just returned from the first concert of the Steve Vai-festival in Groningen. Of course I had a fantastic evening, but that's no surpirse I guess...

There was a small change in the program as The Middle Of Everywhere was missing. No idea why, hopefully they play it tomorrow. The program for the first concert was:

- Kill The Guy With the Ball/The God Eaters
- The Murder Prologue/The Murder
- I'm Becoming Salamanders In The Sun
- Piano solo by Mike Keneally: three pieces (sorry, forgot which ones)
- Benjamin Yusupov: Concerto for electric viola

BREAK

- Expanding The Universe:
I - At The End of the World
II - Holograms
III - Chaos Theory
IV - Asleep in the Petals
V - Unfolding from Within

At the beginning of the concert things were not as fluent as usually. Maybe some nerves here and there, the sound was in the beginning also in need of improvement (at least where I was sitting), but soon everything fell into place. Mike playing Vai-material on piano was one of the highlights for me. Steve's composition's truly stand out whether they're played by rockband, symphonic orchestra or just on one instrument. And Mike proved it tonight in a wonderful way.
The electric violin concerto was not a Vai composition, but was a nice surprise all in all. Then after the break the new piece and it was sensational! The different pieces were incredible, but because of the length of this symphiny for guitar and orchestra, I definitely need to hear it more often to feel it from perspective of the whole piece. After this, a standing ovation and a encore: For The Love Of God. It sounded even better with this symphonic orchestra, than the previous orchestral version with the Metropole Orchestra, but that goes for most of the music that was performed tonight. The symphonic orchestra is a bigger orchestra, more instruments, so a different sound.
Also very informative and entertaining was the introduction before the concert. Tom Trapp, orchestrator for Steve (with the Metropole Orchestra and again with the NNO) talked for 40 minutes or so. Not just talking about Steve's music, but also answering questions on all sorts of things.

My head is still filled with the wonderful music I heard tonight, so I'm going to bed. Tomorrow's the radio show recording (with Steve and Mike) and of course the second concert. Wish you all could be here.

Synchronicity
Newcomer

#94 Post by Synchronicity » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Some more information on yesterday's concert. As you might have expected, Steve did use the Universe on Expanding The Universe and to great use. It's great to see him use the 7 string guitar again on stage.

Expanding The Universe began with Steve playing and singing. After that it was an instrumental odyssey through all kinds of fascinating pieces. Influences of Strawinsky (rhythm), Varese (sounds) among others could be heard in the different parts that made up this symphony. Chaos Theory for instance is a piece that has only three notes written down in the orchestral sheetmusic (B-flat, C, D as Tom told in the introduction), but it's a fantastic soundscape in the way it's performed.
The orchestra had a couple of additions in the form of a drumkit, bass guitar and second electric guitar (Peter Tiehuis borrowed from the Metropole Orchestra). Peter had also some spotlight as he did a couple of twin guitarparts with Steve. Another beautiful solo was done on tuba near the end of the piece.
The piece also ends with Steve playing guitar and singing, with the final word left to sing by the audience.

As I said in my previous post, the piece is too long to digest in one take. Hopefully tonight I'll have an even better appreciation of this wonderful symphony. And of course there are more pieces on the program that I'm looking forward too. What to think about There's Still Something Dead In Here. Just remember the tune of (almost) the same name from Flexable, but now vision it in an orchestral version. That should be something!

litlgrnman

#95 Post by litlgrnman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:44 pm

Thanks for the updates!

Synchronicity
Newcomer

#96 Post by Synchronicity » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:04 am

Don't know if this forum allows links to clips on Youtube. If not, I apologise and will remove this post. But otherwise, here are some clips I found from the concert from yesterday. As the previous pic I posted, not mine, just found it on the internet. Just want to share some of the wonderful event that is happening here.

For The Love Of God
I'm Becoming Salamanders In The Sun
The Murder

litlgrnman

#97 Post by litlgrnman » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:48 am

:shock: :headbang :peace :mrgreen:

Synchronicity
Newcomer

#98 Post by Synchronicity » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:17 pm

U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E

What a night!!! Yesterday was a great concert, tonight there was magic. As planned, the setlist was partially different compared to yesterday's concert:

- Helios And Vesta
- Kill The Guy With The Ball/The God Eaters
- Lotus Feet
- Piano solo by Mike Keneally (All About Eve, Pig, 12/24)
- There's Still Something Dead In Here
- Frangelica (part 1/part 2)

Intermission

- Expanding The Universe:
I - At The End of the World
II - Holograms
III - Chaos Theory
IV - Asleep in the Petals
V - Unfolding from Within

encore

- For The Love Of God

I got not much else to say at this moment, just unbelievable...

EyE

#99 Post by EyE » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:21 am

Guys, please put your reviews of this Festival in the Concert reviews ;)