Steve - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
fintanbk
Newcomer

Hi Guys

Fintan here from dbTwang, just thought you might like to know that Steve is listed in a World’s Greatest Living Guitarist poll we are running on our blog, where you can vote for your top three guitarists. At the moment Joe Bonamassa is in the lead.

http://blog.dbtwang.com/worlds-greatest ... oll-opens/

Bests
--
Fintan
Guitzilla
Newcomer

I have always had a problem with "World's greatest guitarist" type polls. As much as Steve is my favorite guitarist, I could never vote for him (or anyone else) as the "greatest." Music is not a sport to me. It is art. It is craft. Steve is a great craftsmen and a great artist. Art shouldn't be classified as worst or greatest, it should only be judged by how much it moves you.
fintanbk
Newcomer

Hi Guitzilla

The poll is really the end result of several ongoing debates (sometimes heated) amongst us here at dbTwang and friends. We decided to have the poll to put this ongoing debate out there for the world to have it's say. We drew up a shortlist and then took suggestions from readers of our blog, so there are some strange inclusions and omissions but I guess that's the nature of anything that is community led.

Personally I agree that musical expression is territorial rather than hierarchical, in that guitarists stake out their own style and voice and it either connects or doesn't. So I guess you could argue that making the debate a horserace is a little disingenuous. The point of the poll and particularly forcing ourselves to choose just three is to make us really consider what it is that connects for us and which of these great guitarists (and they are all great within their own territories) have lengthened the vanishing point of possibilities for the guitar either through innovative technique or sound and within that subjective context I think voting in a poll is not totally dissimilar to purchasing a download and having it logged in a sales chart.

Bests
--
Fintan
PSD

I voted. What the hell. Might as well show some support for our favorite(s). No poll will ever be perfect, and this one has some notables who aren't even on the ballot. Oh well, Jeff Beck, Steve Vai, and Steve Morse each just received my votes.
bluepowder71
Newcomer

Yes. Period. Seriously?

Yes.