Who´s got the largest hands?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Message
Author
scott
Newcomer
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:14 am

Who´s got the largest hands?

#1 Post by scott » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:23 am

I´ve always wondered how big Vai´s hands are and if there´s any big guitarplayer with even larger hands.

gonzo
Newcomer
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:56 am
Location: Copenhagen,Denmark
Contact:

Monsterhands

#2 Post by gonzo » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:21 am

I dont even think Steve got so big hands.Have you ever seen Chris Impelleteri?
No I dont like his music either,but his hands...Gawwdd!! :shock: :shock:

metoo
Newcomer
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:15 pm

#3 Post by metoo » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:06 am

All i can say is that, i'm think it too... great guitarist have large hand... at least long finger :)

Check this zoomed picture from the aftershow at montreal:

Vai Hands
Image

Malmsteen hands (my hand at left...) :)
Image

Metoo

Blazeneon
Newcomer
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:34 am
Location: Birmingham, U.K

#4 Post by Blazeneon » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:38 am

I have shaken the hands of both Steve and Joe (you know who I mean!), but the guitarist with by FAR the largest hands is Allan Holdsworth!! Christ, the man's index finger almost touched my elbow!! :shock:

Blaze.

jmchambers5
Member
Member
Posts: 759
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:06 pm
Location: memphis, tn
Contact:

#5 Post by jmchambers5 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:08 am

slightly off topic, but my bass teacher has the fattest fingers i've ever seen. They're not plump either, its just that the fingertips have been flattened by years of pressure from those big upright strings. The damn things have got to be at least an inch wide. they remind me of those frogs in the amazon with those little suckers on their fingers.

alienacidsoup
Member
Member
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:15 pm
Location: Burlington, IA
Contact:

#6 Post by alienacidsoup » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:32 pm

Paul Gilbert! Have you ever seen how long his pinky is?

XSteveDudeX
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:48 am
Location: A Dark Basement....

#7 Post by XSteveDudeX » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:08 am

I heard that having long, skinny fingers can help you play the guitar fast....Yngwie had long, skinny fingers back in the 80's......Steve still has long, skinny fingers......but, then again, hand size could matter, too.

Henrique Henriques
Member
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:14 pm
Location: Brazil
Contact:

#8 Post by Henrique Henriques » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:27 am

Blazeneon wrote:I have shaken the hands of both Steve and Joe (you know who I mean!), but the guitarist with by FAR the largest hands is Allan Holdsworth!! Christ, the man's index finger almost touched my elbow!! :shock:

Blaze.
Yeah!! Allan's fingers Are HUGE!!! It's Scary! :shock:








pQq

playnoevil777
Member
Member
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Vienna,WV
Contact:

#9 Post by playnoevil777 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:37 am

XSteveDudeX wrote:I heard that having long, skinny fingers can help you play the guitar fast....Yngwie had long, skinny fingers back in the 80's......Steve still has long, skinny fingers......but, then again, hand size could matter, too.
It's funny,'cause I'm a plump guy,like Malm's current size.But my fingers are really skinny,and pretty long,not huge tho.My hands are actually about the same as Steve's,I compared them to the cover of Alen Love Secrets,and they're almost identical,it's freaky.I used to play video games like A LOT.So all my fingers are really skinny,but I have kinda' fat thumbs. :lol: .Oh yea,and I second that Paul Gilbert coment,his pinky's really long!I think a lot of times tho,guitarist's hands appear bigger than they are,do to the thickness of the neck.But,if you can play it don't matter how big or small you hands are.I've heard that Michael Romeo's fingers are really short,and look at him.

scott
Newcomer
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:14 am

#10 Post by scott » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:36 am

I wonder if your guitarplaying would improve if you would remove (surgically) some of the flesh binding together the fingers in order to get a wider stretch. And how much does it matter ( the siz of the hand) when you´re playin flash guitar. I myself have problems with playin some scales and stuff. :cry:

Thanks for all the replies!

playnoevil777
Member
Member
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Vienna,WV
Contact:

#11 Post by playnoevil777 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:54 am

scott wrote:I wonder if your guitarplaying would improve if you would remove (surgically) some of the flesh binding together the fingers in order to get a wider stretch. And how much does it matter ( the siz of the hand) when you´re playin flash guitar. I myself have problems with playin some scales and stuff. :cry:

Thanks for all the replies!
I have that between my middle and ring finger of my fretting hand.Someday I'll get it removed.But it doesn't hinder my playing too bad.Sometimes it makes things a little difficult.Lately I've been focusing more on just having fun with songs,rather than focusing so much on giant flashy epic solos.More just having fun with the music,and throwing in a short,song complimenting solo.

guitar_love
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:01 am
Location: london

#12 Post by guitar_love » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:54 am

chuck berrys hand were freakin MASSIVE :shock: :shock: :shock:

and what about the aliuce cooper guitarist...lol....its not that his hands are big...its like the guitar is to samll for him

fox

jmchambers5
Member
Member
Posts: 759
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:06 pm
Location: memphis, tn
Contact:

#13 Post by jmchambers5 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:49 am

I used to be able to play a chord of all E's in standard tuning using only my left hand to fret notes. I know it's not technically a chord, because it's just one note, but it was freaking cool looking. the chord looked like this

e 0
b 5
g 9
d 2
a 7
e 0

Don't try this at home! Actually, try it at home, it'd be interesting to see if anyone else can do this and i'm just a chump for thinking i'm special.

J

playnoevil777
Member
Member
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Vienna,WV
Contact:

#14 Post by playnoevil777 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:19 am

jmchambers5 wrote:I used to be able to play a chord of all E's in standard tuning using only my left hand to fret notes. I know it's not technically a chord, because it's just one note, but it was freaking cool looking. the chord looked like this

e 0
b 5
g 9
d 2
a 7
e 0

Don't try this at home! Actually, try it at home, it'd be interesting to see if anyone else can do this and i'm just a chump for thinking i'm special.

J
OMG,I can just almost do that :x .It's wierd cause I just came up with this yesterday:
e-0
b-0
g-4
d-2
a-7
e-0

you could also make the low an a (5th fret).I secong that tho,I love that chord,it makes you feel special don't it! :lol: Now I'm gonna' go cut out this skin flap,someone call 911 in preparation! :lol: j/k,don't anyone really call.

micdreyer
Member
Member
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:16 am
Location: Denmark

#15 Post by micdreyer » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:27 am

hehehe..got a big laughing (hmm can´t speel this word) when i read the reply in this topic..check out hendrix´tomb..also i big one i guess..he play a lot on the fret whit this one :D

Post Reply