VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Alien love secrets DVD..
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:40 am 

I heard that this DVD was playbacked from the album,
is this true? i saw a live version of tender surrender on the internet once, and i was sure it was playbacked! could it have been from the dvd?

anyways

See ya!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:53 am 

ALS DVD was performed with the ALS album's tracks, yes. This DVD includes multiple angles on some songs, audio commentary, as well as a cool bonus segment of Vai's history with lots of archived video clips put together in a neat presentation. Well worth the cost of the disc.

--------------
Thank you,

Moderator777
www.vai.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:44 am 

Well said

Steve wrote:
Can you tell me where the Statue of Liberty is or should I f**k myself here?

Well he actually says that rather than write it and he does it in his Long Island italian-american accent.
Priceless. :D

ilia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:50 pm 

I've got the DVD and the Video. DVD's a little gem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:09 pm 

I just ordered my copy should be here in a week or so... I can't wait I didn't even know until now it had commentary and stuff :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:18 pm 

The G3 DVD is overdubbed as well to my knowledge.. no real LIVE playing there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:47 pm 

Ricky Garcia wrote:
The G3 DVD is overdubbed as well to my knowledge.. no real LIVE playing there...

Dude, I thought it was overdubbed too sometimes by watching it but I never knew for sure. I didn't want to believe that they would actually do that :(

Is Steve Vai the Nilli Vanilli (SP?) of rock guitar :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:56 pm 

But the G3 is a different recording, if you ask me. Some songs are just played a little different. Plus: No SRV from Eric Johnson on the CD... I think it's a more or less "live" DVD/VHS

Fabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:06 am 

Maybe they just dubbed where he messes up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:27 am 

That's what I always thoufgt about the G3.
Steve, the perfectionist he is, wasn't happy with some bits of his playing and he re-did them.
The thing is when you have a mobile studio with 24 tracks (at least) analogue recording I would say that he only touched up the guitar parts and the fact that sometimes the video doesn't match up to the audio is because some bits went out of sinch in the editing stage.
I can even see that in the Alien Love Secrets DVD and I'm absolutelly sure that Steve had the songs play in the background and I can't understand why he would put his hand on fret 3 when I can hear what sounds like fret 12 or the music sequence is going up and his hand is moving down the neck as well. :roll:
That's why is a good idea to have an outside editor, someone who's not biased and knows what to look for - so he can match up the audio to the video spot on.

my 0.02p

ilia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:31 am 

I think we all know that it is standard practice to re-record portions of live recordings. The reasons vary from poor recording, to poor performance.
The vocal track on Judas Priest's "Unleashed from the East" was completely re-recorded in the studio.
And SSV was kind enough to point out in the liner notes on "Alive in an Ultra World" where he had "polished" things up a bit.
Also keep an eye out for an Alcatrazz live double CD, that may show up in the box set. SSV re-recorded some of his parts for that too...
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:53 am 

Concenring the G3 DVD/VHS, you just have to notice the somekind "weird" camera work on some difficult parts; like the "answers tapping run" where you get a nice view of P. Bynoe during the whole part, or during the triplet run on The Attitude Song, where the camera goes somewhere else, or the finish of the FTLOG run ...

Well, Steve once himself admitted on overdubbing that answers run, so ... My personal opinion, but people may disagree of course, is that I understand that he wants everything to pe "perfect" being a perfectionist, but myself, I'd really give everything for some "real" live, with the occasional mistakes and blurps, I think, like dings on a guitar, they actully do add to the human side of music and Vai, and I would actually not be annoyed by little mistakes, but would find it more "natural" and even more enjoyabel, to see that even Steve is ... human, and f***cks up (rarely) from time to time on a few notes ... taht's life, and taht's how I would see live recordings ...

But I am kinda desilussioned, I don't think ANY band out there puts anything "live" out, without some amount of overdubbs.

reminds me of a joke about steve (please take this with humor !!!!!!!!!! No offence ment SSV, really, just humor) :

Guy 1 : "When the hell will the london DVD be out, we've been waiting ages"

Guy 2 : "Vais is certainly still in the studio re-recording all the guitar parts" :lol:

again, the last lines, were just huors, gus, I dig everything Vai does, be it with overdubs, and the ALS DVD and G3 DVD are one of my favorites,

cheers,

chlamy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 10:02 am 

I respect Steve's idea of perfectionism, but I don't like at all buying a DVD to see a live performance and getting the sound of the album with a video that does not match. I mean, the idea of the DVD is to see him, but also to hear what he does. I really hope next DVD to be a pure and untouched representation of what he did, for the good stuff, and for the bad also. That's the escence of a live performance.

Peace 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 1:09 pm 

dex wrote:
I can't understand why he would put his hand on fret 3 when I can hear what sounds like fret 12 or the music sequence is going up and his hand is moving down the neck as well. :roll: ilia

Which number do you mean? I wanna check...

Fabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 2:02 pm 

I wanna check that, too. I dont think this is true. A flaw like this would never happen to go on a DVD.