Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
R1FSR

Re: Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

#31 Post by R1FSR » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:12 am

My copy arrived this morning :headbang
.....just need a BR player now haha .

tmwc

#32 Post by tmwc » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:57 am

Got mine today....thought I must admit to being somewhat disappointed technically...

We already knew it was only 720p not 1080p which is shame...but why is there no lossless surround sound audio!?!?! Just Dolby Digital 5.1 is a real let down for me. And why is it split over 2 discs? This should easily fit on one BD50, even with full 1080p and lossless audio it would have done, so I see no real reason for this... Unless there is something I am missing here?

BTW this is now way a dig at Steve or his performance, that is all top notch!

U:SaGa
Newcomer

#33 Post by U:SaGa » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:58 pm

Just received my signed Blu-Ray. Thank you Steve & Mikey. :D

ears1991

#34 Post by ears1991 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:57 pm

Was a bit pissed to find that the case of my signed blu ray was quite badly cracked, im guessing this was fedex's fault as there was an obvious footprint on the packaging (which could have been better i guess)

But nonetheless, amazing to watch, worth every penny. Real shame about the cracked case though :(

Zero Signal
Newcomer

#35 Post by Zero Signal » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:48 pm

The show is fantastic but like other posters I feel like they could have done a whole lot more with the blu ray.

For the money BandMerch charges for shipping, they really should be packaging the items in something sturdier than a bubble envelope. Granted the blu ray arrived quickly but I would rather wait a bit longer knowing that the product I bought will be in the same condition it was sent. Especially digipaks as they are more prone to damage and it's not just a matter of replacing a jewel case. I faired better than some as I only had the one crack in the plastic.

However while I was watching the concert today, during the drum solo the disc started to freeze up. I checked the disc surface it has a manufacturing fault. :( Seems like a bit of dirt or something is captured underneath the final protection layer. I will send BandMerch an email with a photo and see what they say.

Big Bad Bill

#36 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:57 am

Amazon UK dispatched my copy yesterday (Saturday 28th Nov).

Big Bad Bill

#37 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:55 am

Very nice indeed. Only had a quick scan through, but it looks brilliant. I love the 'glow effect' during 'I'm Becoming'!

Big Bad Bill

#38 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:37 am

Has anyone noticed that the dpi is only 720 for this Blu-Ray? Is that correct or do I have to adjust the PS3 to have full HD definition? My other half's 'Take That' Blu-Ray fires up automatically at 1024 dpi

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#39 Post by Mikey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:30 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:Has anyone noticed that the dpi is only 720 for this Blu-Ray? Is that correct or do I have to adjust the PS3 to have full HD definition? My other half's 'Take That' Blu-Ray fires up automatically at 1024 dpi
The PS3 will upscale, but it will do it to 1080, not 1024.

It all depends what kind of TV you're looking at it on too.

Mikey
vai.com

cbr1000f

#40 Post by cbr1000f » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:49 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:Has anyone noticed that the dpi is only 720 for this Blu-Ray? Is that correct or do I have to adjust the PS3 to have full HD definition? My other half's 'Take That' Blu-Ray fires up automatically at 1024 dpi
Quite a dilemma...Hmm...if I had to choose between a "VAI disc at 720 dpi" & a "Take That disc at 1024 or 1080 dpi".... :lol:
Just kidding! :wink: Enjoy your bluray at 720 dpi, you spoiled kid!
It's the first VAI bluray in an everchanging digital world.
I'm sure the next VAI bluray publication will have a higher resolution.

Big Bad Bill

#41 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:22 am

So I should play around with my PS3 settings, Mikey or is this all automatic? I'm connected to a HD-ready TV via a HDMI cable so I assume that's all OK. It does look HD, I have to say-very clear indeed.

'Take That'? You know I am cursed with a woman who's musical taste is of that genre and yet she can play 'Die to Live' on the piano from the score! Someone's having a laugh at my expense!

Zero Signal
Newcomer

#42 Post by Zero Signal » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:20 am

Zero Signal wrote:The show is fantastic but like other posters I feel like they could have done a whole lot more with the blu ray.

For the money BandMerch charges for shipping, they really should be packaging the items in something sturdier than a bubble envelope. Granted the blu ray arrived quickly but I would rather wait a bit longer knowing that the product I bought will be in the same condition it was sent. Especially digipaks as they are more prone to damage and it's not just a matter of replacing a jewel case. I faired better than some as I only had the one crack in the plastic.

However while I was watching the concert today, during the drum solo the disc started to freeze up. I checked the disc surface it has a manufacturing fault. :( Seems like a bit of dirt or something is captured underneath the final protection layer. I will send BandMerch an email with a photo and see what they say.
I contacted BandMerch in regards to the faulty disc. They looked after me very well so now I'm happy. :D

Big Bad Bill

#43 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:45 am

Mikey wrote:The PS3 will upscale, but it will do it to 1080, not 1024.
So, does this mean the Blu-Ray is not truly high definition and the up-scaling is a compromise? I got a few Blu-Rays for Christmas and they all play at 1080 and look great, so a 720dpi Steve Vai Blu-Ray has me thinking...

Having said that I was using my rowing machine in front of the TV this morning with WTWTA playing and it was startling to see Steve's huge hands wriggling in front of me and acrylic guitar right in my face with all the detail of the flecks and patterns in the plastic. Amazing!

Hub

#44 Post by Hub » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:46 am

You say your tv is HD-Ready, then it has a max resolution of 1280x720 pixels, so 720dpi is enough to let your tv use its full potential ;)

Big Bad Bill

#45 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:12 am

Oh, OK. So the 1080dpi of all the other Blu-Rays I have is just 'overkill' and produces and imperceptible increase in resolution? I wonder why they do that?