Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Message
Author
User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Honley UK

Re: Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

#16 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:29 pm

pjaydee wrote:Yeah its been tough not buying the DVD version...as im waiting for the Blu Ray version...man its been hard lol!!! Worth the wait though to see Stevie in High Def! :headbang
I've just put it out of my mind as much as possible and not read any of the reviews. I wonder if these sorts of delays are always going to be the case with future Blu-Ray releases or are these just teething troubles. I have to say, the Blu-Ray films I've watched haven't really increased my viewing pleasure compared to DVD, but I believe music Blu-Ray has much better sound so I'm willing to wait a month or so to find out. Having said that, its easier to type DVD than it is Blu-Ray! :wink:

genixia
Newcomer
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:45 pm

Re: Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

#17 Post by genixia » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:25 pm

I did something I've never done before - held a Vai DVD that I don't already own in my hands in a store and then PUT IT BACK! That was painful, but necessary. The BluRay release was the motivation for finally buying a BluRay player...

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin
Posts: 4520
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:51 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

#18 Post by Mikey » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:41 pm

The blu-ray is now on sale in the Vai.com store. I'd hurry if you want to get the download and the pick. We're more than a quarter sold already.

Mikey
vai.com

genixia
Newcomer
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:45 pm

Re: Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

#19 Post by genixia » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:28 pm

Thanks for the heads up, but I had my priorities straight..

5:01pm :)

st3v3va1
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:02 pm

Re: Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

#20 Post by st3v3va1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:43 pm

Hey Mikey,

I got the Blu-Ray pre order down pat and recieved the email telling me how to downlaod the album. The problem is it tells me the password, which was emailed from bandmerch, is incorrect. I know for a fact I was typing it in correctly and cut and paste didnt work either. I have emailed BandMerch but I noticed that the files were hosted on the Vai.com domain so I wasn't sure if I needed to let you know as well...

Lee

wilch
Member
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:44 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

#21 Post by wilch » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:25 pm

Hi guys,

I nearly bought this from the online store, but then I realised that you guys are in a different region than me (Australia), and blu-ray's aren't region free :(.

Can anyone tell me what region this blu-ray is encoded for please? I can't find the information on the merch site.


I'm Region B (Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain, Italy and other European Countries)
U.S. and Japan are region A.

I'm starting to regret not pre-ordering the DVD, and getting a signed copy now. Stupid blu-ray regions *shakes fist*.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin
Posts: 4520
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:51 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

#22 Post by Mikey » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:23 am

wilch wrote:Hi guys,

I nearly bought this from the online store, but then I realised that you guys are in a different region than me (Australia), and blu-ray's aren't region free :(.

Can anyone tell me what region this blu-ray is encoded for please? I can't find the information on the merch site.


I'm Region B (Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain, Italy and other European Countries)
U.S. and Japan are region A.

I'm starting to regret not pre-ordering the DVD, and getting a signed copy now. Stupid blu-ray regions *shakes fist*.
As far as I was aware, blu-rays are like DVDs in that they are encoded to whatever the label specifies. We would request that was region free.

I will confirm this, however.

Mikey

wilch
Member
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:44 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

#23 Post by wilch » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:02 am

Mikey wrote:As far as I was aware, blu-rays are like DVDs in that they are encoded to whatever the label specifies. We would request that was region free.

I will confirm this, however.

Mikey
I hope this one's region free.

Thanks in advance for checking Mikey. :)

User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Honley UK

Re: Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

#24 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:32 am

I wonder if Blu-Ray players can be 'chipped' to make them multi-region? I did this with my DVD player because there are several films I wanted that aren't available in the European coding. It was a case of hiring a 'remote control' from an online company and following simple instructions-turn on, point and press button, wait for 20 seconds, turn off DVD player for 10 minutes and hey presto!

I wonder why they even have coding for DVDs/Blu-Ray? What's the point? Surely its not about protecting markets etc?

wilch
Member
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:44 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

#25 Post by wilch » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:47 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:I wonder if Blu-Ray players can be 'chipped' to make them multi-region? I did this with my DVD player because there are several films I wanted that aren't available in the European coding. It was a case of hiring a 'remote control' from an online company and following simple instructions-turn on, point and press button, wait for 20 seconds, turn off DVD player for 10 minutes and hey presto!

I wonder why they even have coding for DVDs/Blu-Ray? What's the point? Surely its not about protecting markets etc?
Some can be, other's not so much. My Blu-Ray player is my PS3, which unfortunately cannot be chipped or modded.

From what I've read, it is actually about protecting markets. Region coding even played a role in the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray wars, which was decided by the big production companies.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin
Posts: 4520
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:51 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

#26 Post by Mikey » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:57 am

It's the blu-ray disc is region free.

That's confirmed.

There are still a few autographed copies still available.

Mikey

wilch
Member
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:44 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

#27 Post by wilch » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:21 pm

Awesome, thanks Mikey!

ears1991
Member
Member
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:42 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

#28 Post by ears1991 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:15 pm

SOOOO HAPPY!! got the download so thats means ill get an autographed copy and the pick yeah?
:D cant wait!!
Hopefully it doesnt take too long to ship to the UK

User avatar
pjaydee
Member
Member
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:21 pm
Location: Ultra World

Re: Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

#29 Post by pjaydee » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:05 am

genixia wrote:I did something I've never done before - held a Vai DVD that I don't already own in my hands in a store and then PUT IT BACK! That was painful, but necessary. The BluRay release was the motivation for finally buying a BluRay player...
Lol! Yep i did exactly the same man! Held it in my hands and had to put it back :shock: ..and yep i bought a Blu Ray player purely for this release! Ive preordered and am really looking forward to it. :headbang

JeM7BsB
Newcomer
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:20 am
Location: Amsterdam (NL)
Contact:

Re: Where the wild things are on Blu Ray

#30 Post by JeM7BsB » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:45 am

Just received my signed Blu Ray disc plus Wild Things pick. Was sent 2 days ago from the USA and already in The Netherlands today...wow!

Gonna watch it tonight, have to work first

Warm regards,

Eddy

Post Reply