Steve's Playing

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Filafizz

:guitar
I Think, ops I'm sure, that I've found Steve's way of playing. This is easy, as you get the first insight (not before that), like riding bike. You have just go deep in the guitar, think a little faster than your fingers and explore the axe. Every position on the guitar arm is opened, the tremolo bar, act with your sense and ears and feel every note in response of what is going on in your mind. Now I know, as a very anxious person, that we can really rely on our senses and put it out in an instrument as our channel to the outside world, and my anxiety flows through the instrument, as well my good sense o humor too. Of corse, to do that, we need to study technique and some music theory, those things help a lot to do such things. I'm not a Steve Vai, would be very pretencious of my part thinking that, but now I understand why he made me so interested and influenced by his playing. Steve might be a very witty person, that's why he really nows how to "play around" with the guitar. And FOR SURE he is very competent.
Chacha
Newcomer

I'm a new fan! I got into shred music first through Paul Gilbert, then I found Vai. What I can say is, its interesting how Via tries to imitate a human voice through guitar (or is it just me thinking this??); his playing is a combination of everything: stage presence, speed, melody, and those real cool antics like this 1997 "Fire" (forgot the name) concert in tokyo and the G3 with sheehan, he doesn't focus on one aspect of guitarplaying alone like technicality, or melody, etc.. but really, one thing I believe that stands out for Vai is his live performances. :headbang
jam-man

OK, sorry, but what's the point here?

We know that Steve is an amazing and complex player, and a wonderful person. You know it also, only you needed a new thread and 5-10 lines to "explain" that. :roll:
jemgirl

thats a very good tip you give us here filafizz!
you have to study for hours and hours to be a little like steve.
however........the tip is a start!

now......play youre guitar!!!!!!!
germ1984
Newcomer

you have to focus on every note and you need alot of discipline to become a musician of his level. But honestly, I think its impossible to become like him. Better try to find yourself with guitar
Patill

Filafizz wrote::guitar
I Think, ops I'm sure, that I've found Steve's way of playing. This is easy, as you get the first insight (not before that), like riding bike. You have just go deep in the guitar, think a little faster than your fingers and explore the axe. Every position on the guitar arm is opened, the tremolo bar, act with your sense and ears and feel every note in response of what is going on in your mind. Now I know, as a very anxious person, that we can really rely on our senses and put it out in an instrument as our channel to the outside world, and my anxiety flows through the instrument, as well my good sense o humor too. Of corse, to do that, we need to study technique and some music theory, those things help a lot to do such things. I'm not a Steve Vai, would be very pretencious of my part thinking that, but now I understand why he made me so interested and influenced by his playing. Steve might be a very witty person, that's why he really nows how to "play around" with the guitar. And FOR SURE he is very competent.
hmm, who cares? Make your own music...

Really, if I was famous and had to read about everything I am and I am not I´d constantly laugh my as off :lol:. I think he only plays the guitar like everyone else does. What else should he do, I mean he´s not forcing himself to be as he is.