Website updates

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
scottinomaha

I agree that we need to somehow keep all the old Info which i'm sure was already in the plans. I do think for one that this forum color should be a shade of green not blue. :idea: A Flo Experience would be nice. A monthly video walk through lesson from VAI on one of his songs would be awsome. Just my wish list I guess.
Krr
Newcomer

I just want to throw in a few comments on a potential redesign:

It seems to me that more and more stuff has been added to the website through the years and, as a result of this, a lot of interesting stuff is scattered around and kinda hard to find. I think all this great content needs to be sorted through and organized and presented in a logical way.

On a similar note, the splash page is a bit redundant, it just makes for one more click to reach the actual content. Maybe it could be turned into a smaller graphic or banner on the first page?

I also hope that you won't go for an all-Flash design, or have music that starts playing automatically as you enter the site, or anything like that. Of course, there's a small (but loud) webdesigner in me hoping that the new website won't use tables for layout, but that's not really the most important thing in the world. Actually, I'm quite confident that whoever is responsible for the redesign will do a great job :).
RAI

Krr wrote:...whoever is responsible for the redesign will do a great job :).
It's this little fellow named "Mikey"...
His name may sound familiar to some.
:headbang
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Krr wrote:I also hope that you won't go for an all-Flash design, or have music that starts playing automatically as you enter the site, or anything like that. Of course, there's a small (but loud) webdesigner in me hoping that the new website won't use tables for layout, but that's not really the most important thing in the world. Actually, I'm quite confident that whoever is responsible for the redesign will do a great job :).
Nooooooo.. no Flash, no long intros, no music playing. As far as tables go, we'll probably use more css for layout. Obviously there will be no frames. :)

Thanks for all the feedback everyone - keep it coming.

Mikey :)
vai.com
cosmic ape

Mikey, revamp the guitar gallery... flo needs its own spot, too...
Prezidentman

I'd really wish there'd be some more videos of the recording process, like there was with the "Midway Creatures" solo a few years back and some more live videos would be cool too....I remember there was once talk of a live For the Love of God live video from lilke 2003 that was going to be put up o that was supposed to be really great, I don't know why that didn't happen...
scottinomaha

I would Love to see a better gear section I noticed the Guitars haven't been updated in years I have yet to see the RI guitar in there. I would also like a special section on his top guitars or a special section for the guitars that have earned a name. Man why do I feel i'm one post away from a restraining order lol.
John

Mikey wrote: Nooooooo.. no Flash, no long intros, no music playing. As far as tables go, we'll probably use more css for layout. Obviously there will be no frames. :)
Flash is plain awful.
And I agree with Prezidentman about videos...clips are always nice, and I have to add that I would be willing to pay disgusting amounts of money to buy footage of Steve writing/recording/working in the studio! lol
Prezidentman

John wrote:
Mikey wrote: Nooooooo.. no Flash, no long intros, no music playing. As far as tables go, we'll probably use more css for layout. Obviously there will be no frames. :)
Flash is plain awful.
And I agree with Prezidentman about videos...clips are always nice, and I have to add that I would be willing to pay disgusting amounts of money to buy footage of Steve writing/recording/working in the studio! lol
Yeah, same here and I'm sure we wouldn't be the only ones on this site...these days I'd also be willing to pay A LOT to have the pro-shot footage of the LA show on the S&R tour that's been discussed many times before...
Cleggy

I cant wait for the new 404 error page. Maybe a pic of Steve or Mikey stickin his middle finger up would suffice.

Also how about a launch party for us forumers, where we all get flown to a warm, mystery location for a week.

Both not gonna happen hey. :(
scottinomaha

Cleggy wrote:Also how about a launch party for us forumers, where we all get flown to a warm, mystery location for a week.
I second that. or atleast a live chat with Vai and mikey
BonZoso

scottinomaha wrote:
a live chat with Vai and mikey
this would be the greatest thing! with approximate time announced beforehand in order for those on the other side of the globe to stay up at night not to miss it!!!! :wink:
Petie

Mikey wrote:Hey there,

Just about all the info on the current site will be migrated into the new site. :)

But, I still may retain an archive.

The new Vai.com will mean that updating it is easier, plus it will be easier to navigate and find things.

While we're on the topic, if there's stuff you'd like to see or suggest, please do so here. I'm all ears. :)

Keep in mind though, that some things may not be logistically or feasibly possible..

Mikey :)
vai.com
How about a sub-section of 'The Machines' which has a photo and specs for every production Jem/Universe, and perhaps Steve's thoughts about each model, as Ibanez has done with their Paul Gilbert mini site?