Website updates

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
blu_powder
Newcomer

I was wondering if there are plans for updates on vai.com in the near future? I'm not talking about the latest news, blogs and such, but for the more "general" sections of the site - gear, journals, bio, band lineups, as well as design and stuff. I know there's a lot going on right now, but hey, some things are way too old. I remember the time when I was getting into Steve's music (around 2003), and how vai.com had such an important role in understanding what Steve did as an artist. It still has an important role, but I think it lost some of the mystique, if you know what I mean... :roll:
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Once work on the DVD has finished, we'll embark on a complete redesign of the site from head to toe.

Mikey
vai.com
blu_powder
Newcomer

That's great news.

Thanks for the fast response.
Brakkum

my spidey senses were tingling, i heard the letters DVD on the Vai forum, haha. bu a redesign would look great! cant wait to hear more about it!
scottinomaha

Well hopefully the DVD hurrys so we can get both sooner than later.
RAI

I don't think a re-design is as needed as just an update of info.
Update info, replace the pix with some new ones, and it's done.
That's my little opinion, at least...
Brakkum

RAI wrote:I don't think a re-design is as needed as just an update of info.
i could live with that. as long as i get my dvd..... :wink:
GuitarStrings

Mikey wrote:Once work on the DVD has finished, we'll embark on a complete redesign of the site from head to toe.

Mikey
vai.com
Please, Mikey, could you leave the entire old(current) site somewhere please??? I mean, you could put a small small link to the current site on the new site.
Because it's been YEARS that I've been surfing in this old site and I really can't imagine my life without this website.

I've been reading some same stories and watching some same photos over and over in the past years. heheheh :roll: :oops:
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Hey there,

Just about all the info on the current site will be migrated into the new site. :)

But, I still may retain an archive.

The new Vai.com will mean that updating it is easier, plus it will be easier to navigate and find things.

While we're on the topic, if there's stuff you'd like to see or suggest, please do so here. I'm all ears. :)

Keep in mind though, that some things may not be logistically or feasibly possible..

Mikey :)
vai.com
BonZoso

Yeah, why not? Just praps not fully replace the old pix but add new ones to them!
lydian2000

+1

:peace
Samuele

Here are my ideas about an update of the website.

First of all, I think this is the most amazingly designed website ever (and not just because it’s about my favorite artist). I’m pretty sure that, as far as aesthetic quality, Mikey is the best person to do that and I would totally entrust to him with regard to “cosmetics choice”.

My only suggetion would be to keep as much information stored on the current page. It could be organized and presented in a new way, on a visual side, but I’d like to be able to go back to a few readings. These are a few things I would like to keep:

- an archive of the past News. That section has a few things which you can’t find anywhere else (messages from Steve, old photographs, ect.).

- the postcards and articles like “vaiography” or bands history in the “All About Steve” section. The Disco Notes also are very interesting.

- as much as possible from the “Sights and Sounds” section. Maybe with the exception of “Aural Fixation”, since we now have iTunes that allows us to listen to previews.

- all of the “Little Black Dots”. Give it a different look, but I have to say I love to sometimes go back reading those articles, really.

- the “Answers (f.a.q.)” page in the “Fan Forum” section. Many of Steve’s views on things are stored in there so I would keep that, too.

Well, that’s it. :)
Last edited by Samuele on Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Instrumentalrockrocks

I would like to see photo's of his gear... The guitar section seems good enough but I would like to see some sort of flash based 360 degrees photograph of one of mr Vai's studios where you can click on a certain amp, effect, etc. and get info and a more detailed picture of it. That would be really awesome! (I know it might be very hard to make or maybe even impossible but it is just an idea)

Also I'd like to see a 'Blog' section where band members of mr Vai's band (and Stevie himself ofcourse) can write stuff...

Groove On 8)
John

I too think that this is the best site on the internet.
A couple of sections could use an update (mostly sights and sounds and the machines), but overall I'm very happy with the content as it is. What matters the most as far as I'm concerned, is news and interaction, I love to know what Steve is up to, what the plans are, etc. So keep those coming! :)
Also, I would LOVE to see a detailed tour of the Harmony Hut.
Keep up the good work! :headbang
Samuele

Yeah, a look at how's the Harmony Hut these days would be great, maybe even just a Quicktime VR tour or, better yet, a mini-page like the Thomas Nordegg featurette.

With regard to updates and interaction, as long as we have the News page and the Tour Blog regularly updated I'm happy.