How about a re-record of Passion & Warfare :)?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Patill

Hi!

As we know, we all go through changes in life. Of what we see, in Steves case it may be the amps, guitars (so the sound in a whole) playing-, mixing- and recording skills and what not (well, and of course all that personal stuff we all have to handle in our lives :P).

So I think a re-recording of Passion and Warfare (or any album, I don´t know) would maybe be pretty interesting, what do you think? I think P&W would be a good one because it´s from back then ;).

Greets
sunai

Its not a bad idea, but for me, i'd like to listen to some new stuff from the man..
Maybe in later years..
EyE

That record should stay how it is. His time is better spend with new material. btw, some of the stuff from P&W is re-recorded, just listen to some of the songs on the Sound Theories album.
RAI

That album is perfection.
How do you improve perfection....?
Big Bad Bill

Patill wrote:So I think a re-recording of Passion and Warfare (or any album, I don´t know) would maybe be pretty interesting, what do you think? I think P&W would be a good one because it´s from back then ;).
Why dabble with perfection? Why 'gild the lily'?
Bryceybhoy

Frankly, I find the whole 'going back in time' thing just quite sad.

It's a great album. Let's just leave it at that.

Satch re-released Surfing, then played the entire album at a special gig. I just kind of find that whole sort of nostalgia aspect rather irritating. Just play something new.

In fact, most of my annoyance on this subject is down to Satch!! I just handed over £20 of my hard earned cash for his latest album (complete with DVD) and I have to say I am entirely disappointed. This album is the last straw. I honestly think he is finished as an inspiration.

No wonder he's re-releasing old stuff.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.
mayuka

I get what you say, yea it would be kinda cool but look at all the "Re-Record" albums out there. Don't they all kind... suck in comparison? Mabey its just me but with LA Guns rerecord with Cocked and Loaded to Re-Cocked and Loaded was pretty lame. The Original is freckin badass though.

So I dont think Steve Should Re-Record any of his albums, but contenue to create NEW music.

Good Idea tho
Stephen Brown

I don't think you would ever see that. A classic has been made that is timeless.
Patill

hmm, I didn´t think it was about improoving the album, but about hearing changes. I´d find that quite interesting. It´s sort of an "experiment" to see how peoples minds and skills develop over the years.
Breeder

if it would be done the way Piano Reductions are, it would be cool...you know, completely different arrangements , instruments etc etc...
RAI

Patill wrote:It's sort of an "experiment" to see how peoples minds and skills develop over the years.
That's usually referred to as "New Records"......

:wink:
Patill

I don´t think so. You don´t have anything to "compare" to.

I think making compromises is getting smaller and smaller these days with new technology, and all that crazy stuff that gets developed. Just think about it, Steve didn´t have his JEM, no Legacy, no Bad Horsie, no Jemini, no ProTools HD (whatever number...) no this, no that, ...

I´d like to hear the album with today´s technology and "less compromises". Of course I can only talk about what I am thinking about technology, maybe Steve can say that he couldn´t make it better today concerning the way he creates his sound and the way he likes it to sound. But if not so, I´d like to hear it :P
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Patill wrote:Just think about it, Steve didn´t have his JEM
Passion and Warfare was recorded almost entirely with Universe and Jem guitars.

Steve wouldn't re-record "Passion and Warfare." As it is, he is stretched to produce all the new ideas in his head, let alone go back a re-tread old paths. He is more interested in looking forward, not backwards.

Maybe the album will get a re-master or even a 5.1 mix for its 20th anniversary, but that's a MAYBE.

Mikey
vai.com
Patill

ah ok. Well, I wasn´t thinking about a re-mastering...

I know it was Universe guitars, but those are 7-Strings. I think they sound a bit diffrent to 6-String guitars. Did Steve have JEMs yet that time? I didn´t think so :??
Well but he didn´t have the Evolutions, right??? :P

It´s sill just an idea, I didn´t want to force somebody :). Sometimes I just like looking back to things I´ve done...
Desert_Runner

According to the PAW tab book he used:
Ibanez JEM 7, 77 and 777
3 Ibanez universes, one white, one black and one psycho coloured.

I think the jems had DiMarzio PAF PROs in them and blazes in the universes. I also think the EVOs came out in 1993 with the release of both the JEM7VWH and the Sex and Religion album.

I think that if he played Passion and Warfare with his new tone, it wouldn't have the same effect as the original music. I'm so used to the original that to me, any change would be noticeable, and for me, the tone is part of the music. I love his Passion and Warfare sound. I'm alright with his live versions of songs from PAW and I agree that you couldn't try to improve the record. It would feel wrong. Maybe I'm a perfectionist.