Steve Why No New Music?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Seraphim

Brakkum wrote:
Mikey wrote: and the upcoming Minneapolis DVD (the title is a secret for now..)
Live in Minneapolis? :lol:
but really, I can't wait to find out what the name is.
Liza Minellipolis? :lol: :lol: :lol:

As about the topic... actually don't see the point of it. Steve DOES produce manny peace of art in the last years. So manny kind of diferent things. Studio albums, projects with others, masterclasses, touring around the globe and not forget some important thinks like charity. Even the last works are very very diferent from each other.
Even I ain't got why compare with Joe Satriani... at least someone can give another musician to compare, like Franz Zappa? How manny albuns Zappa have produced? And so very diferent from each other...
C'mon, let's wait and relax, patiently 8)
A new DVD is on the corner and a new album soon, that I believe gonna surprise us all :wink:

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:
lydian2000

Seraphim wrote:manny peace of art in the last years.
I just love your english my friend, I'm sure steve can produce many manly pieces of art... but I like the words "peace of art". You just can't make this stuff up.

:P

:peace
codnchips

I look at any new Vai material as "A treat" - It's a treat because it doesn't happen all the time, therefore you can't "get used to it" and ruin future treats!
:D

Maybe it's a generation thing, but I remember a time (pre-internet) when you had no idea when something new was going to come out except for Guitar mags or recording "RawPower" (Old UK late night Rock TV) let alone have DIGITALLY PRODUCED listening\video media that you can preview before it's even released!!

LOL "Vai Treats are a privilege, not a right!" :wink:
litlgrnman

I think over time Steve has grown to become (or it has just become more apparent) much more than just a guitar virtuoso.

He collaborates with other artist (ZPZ), contributes to the charity organization he founded in Make a Noise, stays actively involved in the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (NARAS), heads his own record label in Favored Nations that has expanded to the big screen with "Crazy", travels the globe presenting master classes to the masses, competes in triathalons, works with manufacturers to develop and improve instruments and recording equipment, maintains an active family life, etc (that's just the obvious stuff)....It's a wonder he has time to make any music at all!

It's easy to sit around and selfishly wish that Steve would focus all of his energy on the next project you wish would come out but that's not realistic. I used to stress about how long it was taking for the next release to come out or fret about release date goals getting repeatedly pushed back. What I finally came to realize is that I was getting all anxious about something over which I have no control which is really pointless. I'm just happy he still has a true passion to create and perform and share it with us.

I can do nothing but marvel at and respect his standards for content, production and quality which maintain the highest levels. I have yet to be disappointed with a project so I'll just kick back and wait for the next one.

To the original poster of the thread:

I noticed that you have been a member of the forum here for a handful of days. Are you new to Steve's music? Have you taken a look at his discography? There's a mountain of music to pore over while waiting for the next offering.
Seraphim

lydian2000 wrote:...I just love your english my friend...
Ohhh, you are kidding me... that was the result of posting with only 3 houres sleep... you noticed that even Frank Zappa, I wrote Franz???
But, I do know my english is awefull... but, I do know the folks here are very smart and know what I meant to say :wink:
Well, at least I don't have wrote "but" with the double "T" like I wrote "many" with double "N" :lol: :lol: :lol:
So, sorry for the errors, but I'm just a human bean :lol: :lol: :lol:

Concerning the topic, I agree with "litlgrnman" post.

Samuele

I remember an interview with Steve (I think it's the one on the NPS site - which dates back to September 1997), where he mentions that he's not the kind of artist who releases a record, then tour, then does another record, then tour over and over forever.

I believe he is well aware that some fans would like him to do that, and then some other fans would like him to shred most of the time, and then some others wish he would join a band, ect.

The point is, I think, he usually chooses to be free from any of the outside influence I listed above. He chooses to do what he wants in his musical journey and ends up being one of the artists you can categorise the least. More power to him, I like that.

And if I might add, not many artists (even more popular than Steve) have the number of updates Steve has on his website (thanks to Mikey).

I understand that when something like Steve's music is that good, you keep wanting for more and more (I too am addicted), but I am totally happy with the direction Steve has taken and I just hope he keeps working that way. :)
sunai

Plus , making an album with music that touches someone is not an easy job, even for a guy like steve..... Its always a monumental task , takes time and patience !
LoveBlood

Seraphim wrote:
Brakkum wrote:
Mikey wrote: and the upcoming Minneapolis DVD (the title is a secret for now..)
Live in Minneapolis? :lol:
but really, I can't wait to find out what the name is.
A new DVD is on the corner and a new album soon, that I believe gonna surprise us all :wink:

I think it'll be a shock too, i really can't wait to hear what it's going to be like, but the minneapolis dvd will give us major pleasure till it's ready :D . theres been quite a big change inbetween every single one of steve's albums and i'm sure this one wont be any different.
Breeder

STEVE ANSWER US AND OUR PRAYERS!!!!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
sunai

Breeder wrote:STEVE ANSWER US AND OUR PRAYERS!!!!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
and wants ! :D
GYiakoumi

Ekim wrote: THAT said, I find it boggling to not include AIAUW as a new release when it was two discs all but one track was completely new material.
all but one track? All the tracks were new
Ekim

The "Angel Food" improvisation is heavily derived from Fire Garden's "Angel Food" section of "Fire Garden Suite". Hardly new material.
GYiakoumi

Don't you mean Devil's Food?
Ekim

Yes.
call_of_ktulu

RAI wrote:
Mikey wrote:Having a personal life.

Mikey ;)
vai.com
WTF?
Steve gets to have a life?
Not fair........