Steve Why No New Music?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
liquidsound
Newcomer

Okay this is for all of us who love ol' steve.. So here is the question,

Steve why have you only released one real album in 9 years (plus or minus a few)

Satriani always has new music not rehashed compilation cds. why do you continue to re release old music. We have heard it and we want our hero to give us something new to listen to. Whats up dude?

This is pointed toward steve to possibly read someday. Not for the masses to complain about. So save the replys and ask steve to get his butt in the studio and give us something new. I thought he was a guitar great. but more like a guitar rehash. :cry:
RAI

liquidsound wrote:
Satriani always has new music not rehashed compilation cds.
Well, personally, I prefer quality over quantity....

I used to like Satch, but I got bored.
It's the same ol' every time.
Steve, on the other hand, always seems to find some way to challenge the listener.

Quality over Quantity.
liquidsound
Newcomer

RAI wrote:
liquidsound wrote:
Satriani always has new music not rehashed compilation cds.
Well, personally, I prefer quality over quantity....

I used to like Satch, but I got bored.
It's the same ol' every time.
Steve, on the other hand, always seems to find some way to challenge the listener.

Quality over Quantity.
Quality is a subjective word. And I do agree with you I did get bored of satch as well. But his CDs were still new and he didnt try to pass off old material and rebox it as if it was something new and great.

Quantity? Cmon I would agree if it was 3 CDs in 9 years that is respectable. But 1 from a monster musician like Steve. No aint buying Q over Q

Again cmon Steve give something new and exciting for the guitar world to chomp on I will only be alive for so long.... PLEASE!!!!
RAI

liquidsound wrote:Cmon I would agree if it was 3 CDs in 9 years. That is respectable. But 1 from a monster musician like Steve?
3 CD's in 9 years would be respectable?
Well, then you should be ecstatic with 4!

1999: Ultra Zone

2001: Alive in an Ultra World

2005: Real Illusions: Reflections

2007: Sound Theories (1 CD is old material, 1 is new, more or less)

There you go, and it's all "quality" material...
Last edited by RAI on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liquidsound
Newcomer

RAI wrote:
liquidsound wrote:Cmon I would agree if it was 3 CDs in 9 years. That is respectable. But 1 from a monster musician like Steve?
3 CD's in 9 years would be respectable?
Well, then you should be ecstatic with 4!

1999: Ultra Zone

2001: Alive in an Ultra World

2005: Real Illusions: Reflections

2007: Sound Theories (1 CD is old material, 1 is new, more or less)

There you go, and it's all "quality" material...
Thanks for looking those up. I will concede 2.5 : ) (Ultra zone and Real Illusions) I pondered Alive but its "live" I was looking for the full production type offering but none the less Alive is new music (agreed) .5
: )

Sound theories no way.. Just because you write a couple songs and then pack it with old stuff doesnt make it a full original offering worth 15 dollars or whatever the going price.

I dont know I guess I just want steve to get in the studio and give us a full length brand new album with some new sounds maybe some time soon.

what do you think any ideas?

Oh... did you pick up Satchifunkilus? if so what did you think of the guitar sounds? They were interesting to say the least... I liked the album it was different but still warming up to it. Still not sure. you?
RAI

I think, that so far Steve has not let me down.
Sure it may seem like forever between releases, but when one drops...
It was worth the wait.
liquidsound
Newcomer

RAI wrote:I think, that so far Steve has not let me down.
Sure it may seem like forever between releases, but when one drops...
It was worth the wait.

True,,, But blue balls starts to hurt after awhile.
liquidsound
Newcomer

I guess the more I think about this and read around on the internet (yes I am extremely BORED today)
I cant imagine how hard it is for SV to actually put the guitar in his hands and create. I imagine there is just one thing after another. Phone calls, Interviews,product endorsement, WOMEN ect.....

(But, in the back of my mind I am hearing a little voice saying, "Satriani doest it" : ) )

but with out living in his world I guess we will never know how hard it might be to do what it is that he does.
RAI

Try to rub some ointment on the affected area.
It might help.
If not, slam them in the nearest door.
Trust me, you're mind will be as far away from thinking about any SV release, as it can possibly be....

And your balls won't be "blue" anymore either.
They'll be a whole different color.
One you wouldn't think to be possible.

8)
liquidsound
Newcomer

RAI wrote:Try to rub some ointment on the affected area.
It might help.
If not, slam them in the nearest door.
Trust me, you're mind will be as far away from thinking about any SV release, as it can possibly be....

And your balls won't be "blue" anymore either.
They'll be a whole different color.
One you wouldn't think to be possible.

8)
Ok off I go to find a worthy door... I might be back later. :headbang
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Cool topic.

If you really want to nitpick, then you could say Steve released 5 albums over the past 9 years if you count:

"The Ultra Zone" a 70 minute studio album of all new music;

"Alive In An Ultra World" a 90 minute full-production double live album (2 discs), an extremely ambitious project featuring entirely new music written while on tour and influenced and inspired by music of different countries and cultures around the world;

"Real Illusions: Reflections" - a 55 minute studio album of all new material;

"Sound Theories" a double album containing one 50 minute disc of new material, and another disc of old music re-imagined for an orchestra.

In addition to that, there has been Archives Vol. 3 - a 60 minute album of widely unavailable Japanese bonus tracks and unreleased outtakes which is essentially new music that most fans find it hard to get their hands on. To be fair we could call this half an album.

Let's put those 5 albums worth of material aside for a moment and look at other releases.

"The 7th Song" is a compilation, but still contains three previously unreleased tracks;

"The Elusive Light And Sound" is a collection of all Steve's music and cues for motion pictures; and contains cues that can be heard in a number of different feature films, outtakes from those sessions, plus three previously unreleased tracks;

"G3 Live: Rockin' In The Free World" is live and contains one new song "You're Here" (and the DVD version including an extended version "I Know You're Here";

"The Infinite Steve Vai - An Anthology" - a record label-created "best of" compilation of available music across all Steve's albums and containing nothing not previously available;

"Piano Reductions Vol. 1" is solo piano re-interpretations of Steve's existing music. No new music, but the interpretations are pretty exciting to hear if you are interested in Steve's compositional side - music like disc 2 of the afore mentioned "Sound Theories".

That makes 7 tracks worth of new or previously unreleased material - which is acceptable as an album's worth of material.

So, it you're feeling generous, we could add that to our 5 albums above and have 6 albums worth of new material.

6 albums in 9 years. Not bad. That's one every 14 months, give or take, and not counting Live DVDs, or compilations such as "Archives Vol. 4" which saves you hunting down a lot of associated artists albums.

Craving new music from your favorite artists is a good thing!

I'm impatient to hear what Steve has up his sleeve next, and I have the good fortune to work for him. As people who enjoy Steve's music, we keep needing a new fix and we grow understandably impatient.

I think you'd agree that it's better to really be looking forward to a new release rather than not caring anymore.

But maybe I'm biased.. ;)

Mikey :)
vai.com
fyrie

I'm not going to compare Steve's release Schedule to Joe's, but let's face this fact: Steve pretty-much produces everything himself. Besides producing CDs, DVDs, and gear, Steve is touring. If you take that into consideration, I think he's doing a good job of getting some semblance of new material out there in one form or another. If he were to try to release more, he'd have to delegate a lot of the duties he obviously wants to keep.

Sure, I'd like to see more releases from Steve, but I'd rather have him keep this pace and maintain his independence from record company interference.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

liquidsound wrote:I guess the more I think about this and read around on the internet (yes I am extremely BORED today)
I cant imagine how hard it is for SV to actually put the guitar in his hands and create. I imagine there is just one thing after another. Phone calls, Interviews,product endorsement, WOMEN ect.....

(But, in the back of my mind I am hearing a little voice saying, "Satriani doest it" : ) )

but with out living in his world I guess we will never know how hard it might be to do what it is that he does.
Well, Steve also has Favored Nations, and that takes time to run.

Then there's touring, which takes up months at a time and Steve has Toured at least 7 out of the 9 years - both solo, G3 and special one-off events like 5 Orchestra shows, a special concert with Sharon Isbin, masterclasses and other special appearances. If you add those together that might account for a full year of your time. That doesn't count writing music specially for an event or rehearsal or pre-production time.

There's editing, mixing, mastering and releasing DVDs - including two feature length DVDs "Live At The Astoria London" and "Visual Sound Theories" and the upcoming Minneapolis DVD (the title is a secret for now..); plus two G3 DVDs that featured a combined 6 songs to edit and master; and then there's being a husband and father, and having a personal life.

And did I mention working on developing gear with his endorsement companies?

Honestly, I don't know how you can fit that much in... and I'm a really busy person!

I'm not being defensive or "sticking up for Steve" here. But the more I thought about the question you raised, the more I'm figuring out that there's been a lot of product and output from Steve, in a variety of media.

Mikey ;)
vai.com
Last edited by Mikey on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

fyrie wrote:I'm not going to compare Steve's release Schedule to Joe's, but let's face this fact: Steve pretty-much produces everything himself. Besides producing CDs, DVDs, and gear, Steve is touring. If you take that into consideration, I think he's doing a good job of getting some semblance of new material out there in one form or another. If he were to try to release more, he'd have to delegate a lot of the duties he obviously wants to keep.

Sure, I'd like to see more releases from Steve, but I'd rather have him keep this pace and maintain his independence from record company interference.
Nice post. :)

Mikey :)
vai.com
RAI

Mikey wrote:Having a personal life.

Mikey ;)
vai.com
WTF?
Steve gets to have a life?
Not fair........

:lol: