does steve like metallica???

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
The Elusive Light+Sound
Newcomer

#76 Post by The Elusive Light+Sound » Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:37 pm

guyzif wrote:So abot the off topicness of those last two posts but it seemed apt after the previous poster.

Back on topic now sorry...

err right. are you calling me a drummer?

guyzif

#77 Post by guyzif » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:37 am

No I was just telling a drummer joke coz Higgin (i think it was) told one. It juast popped into my head. Are you a drummer?

The Elusive Light+Sound
Newcomer

#78 Post by The Elusive Light+Sound » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:35 am

err no im not thank god (no offense to any drummers out there)

guyzif

#79 Post by guyzif » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:27 am

Thank god to us all. :wink:

*metalli-fanatic*

#80 Post by *metalli-fanatic* » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:45 am

yes well drummers? hmm, i wonder how we ended up talkin about that when this is about steve likin METALLICA! 8)

screwball

#81 Post by screwball » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:03 pm

I can't really see Steve playing any of Metallica Stuff but who knows.. :oops:

theoriginalAiroz

#82 Post by theoriginalAiroz » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:41 pm

The Elusive Light+Sound wrote:

lol elusive another petrucci forumer here :D

but back at the "real topic" I don't see any problem on steve hearing metallica and to all of you that have been bashing hammet
a way to be a great musician is to respect others art steve vai

guyzif

#83 Post by guyzif » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:38 am

Said by the man himself. People are still entitled to their opinions though, if they hjate Hammet as much as they Love Steve then of course people will bash him. I'm sure there are many Hammet fans who think the oposite way.

Vay
Newcomer

#84 Post by Vay » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:01 pm

I know i like never post here. (werd jp forumers) But im almost positive i heard in an audio interview when vai was saying how much he didnt like something he said " I would rather sit through an entire Metallica album." im not try to start rumours or annything. Just saying i thought i heard that but i could be wrong. Anyone hear somehting like this where i just heard it wrong?

vay

atifman

#85 Post by atifman » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:28 pm

he was probably talking about the newer stuff ;)

The Prez

#86 Post by The Prez » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:26 am

I would bet Vai hates St Anger, any good musician with good ears would.

guyzif

#87 Post by guyzif » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:04 am

It seems when there is an anti-metallica thread it always comes back to St Anger. I won't lie I hate the album but when talking about them I don't judge them because the released one s**t album IMO. They've have produced some great albums in the past and have been a strong force driving modern metal, mabe they have sold out, mabe they havn't. I just know that there is enough good stuff on their early albums to cancel out the s**t of St Anger.

True they may not be the best musicians in the world but that kind of thing isn't important all the time. If they can write a good song (I think they can) then the quality of their musicianship only needs to be as good as the song requires(IMO).

vairulz!
Newcomer

#88 Post by vairulz! » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:44 am

Willin wrote:I'm pretty sure that Steve wouldn't be playing Metallica because the stuff he plays is far more complex in nature. He's just on a different level as a musician. No offense meant... I like Metallica too.

I agree. How about Alex Lifeson of Rush? His style is very complex and innovative, like Steve. I think Alex kicks ass and is UNDERRATED. Rush, like SSV,both belong in the RNR HOF. 8)

espguitarlord

#89 Post by espguitarlord » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:23 am

I have a lot of respect for Metallica and namely Kirk Hammett's playing. I wouldn't have even attempted to play Steve Vai pieces having not been introduced to shred guitar through Metallica solos.

I gather that many people on this board play the guitar, and can appreciate virtuosity, although Vai is my favourite guitarist, Metallica have wider appeal (i.e to non-musicians, although I'm sure that some non-musicians like Vai too) and therefore you can't compare the two. I'm sure Kirk Hammett is capable of putting out an instrumental album (if his band mates would let him...)

Godfather

#90 Post by Godfather » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:30 pm

I have thought for a long time that it would be interesting to see Hammett on a G3 tour with Vai and Satch, but I would also be interested in seeing the full stable of famous Satriani pupils up there as well: Larry Lalonde and Charlie Hunter included. It would be an extremely odd concert, but man it woul dbe interesting.