does steve like metallica???

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
*metalli-fanatic*

wots up with all the " steve is superior to..."

i love steve but wot im tryin to say is that all these bands are superior in there own way!

eg, if we were to ask steve compose a metallica style song. would he be able to do it?? think about it?!?!
Bohm

*metalli-fanatic* wrote: eg, if we were to ask steve compose a metallica style song. would he be able to do it?? think about it?!?!
Im hundreds of % sure that he would be ablo to compose a metallica styled song, no pun intended. 8)
*metalli-fanatic*

hmm...wel maybe but im not sure
genixia
Newcomer

*metalli-fanatic* wrote:hmm...wel maybe but im not sure
I'm sure he could. You'd know it wasn't Metallica though - the drumkit would have been tuned properly. :roll:
vai_halen
Newcomer

greg wrote:Joe has asked Kirk to do G3.

Whether or not he's there, methinks Enter Sandman would make a very cool jam tune.
I would love to see Eddie Van Halen do a G3 show since he influenced a lot of the guys mentioned.
Bohm

vai_halen wrote: I would love to see Eddie Van Halen do a G3 show since he influenced a lot of the guys mentioned.
Yes, but im not to sure that Halens health would make it on a tour.
He must stop with the drinking..

Poor, Eddie! :(
Knightmeir

OFF TOPIC:

I'd MUCH rather see EVH on tour as the third G rather than Kirk. In all honesty, I really don't see why everyone thinks Kirk is so great. He's in a very well-known band, but that's about it. I honestly don't think he could offer anything to the whole G3 experience... maybe a solo or two, but certainly not a full 45 minute set.

My feelings toward Metallica would get me banned from the site if I said what they were. I wouldn't say they don't have talent... I believe they do, but have done little with it in a long time. They have become too mainstream, and that's as far as I'm willing to go on that.

BACK ON TOPIC:

It was mentioned that Steve enjoyed Barbara Streisand... and I imagine he likes a lot of music many of us couldn't bear to listen to. He listens to different types of music to explore new areas of interest, which shows in his work and has allowed him to open many new doors.

Who knows : )
Bohm

Knightmeir wrote: I'd MUCH rather see EVH on tour as the third G rather than Kirk. In all honesty, I really don't see why everyone thinks Kirk is so great. He's in a very well-known band, but that's about it. I honestly don't think he could offer anything to the whole G3 experience... maybe a solo or two, but certainly not a full 45 minute set.

My feelings toward Metallica would get me banned from the site if I said what they were. I wouldn't say they don't have talent... I believe they do, but have done little with it in a long time. They have become too mainstream, and that's as far as I'm willing to go on that.

Hey, dude! 95% of the people on this forum share your feelings, atleast.

If Joe actually ever asked Kirk he probably did it just to be nice/polite, because they are friends from the past.

So everyone just chill, I can assure you that we won't see kirk on G3, considering he also have stopped playing guitar solo's, he's now focusing on learning to rap fast instead :P
Arpeggio

A couple comments on the last couple posts:

Knight - I think you stated the current state of Metallica better than I have ever heard anyone describe it. "They've got the talent, but haven't used it in a long time".

Metallica is my favorite band by far and large - but you said it PERFECTLY.

Secondly about KIRK touring.

I think the number one reason for KIRK to do the G3 (which would rock) is because let's recall who taught both steve vai AND kirk hammett........................................:)

Satch - who owns G3. It's just to good to be true!!!!!!!
vai_halen
Newcomer

Kirk is a one dimensional player, he can play fast and thats about it, i don't think he has the ability to come up with something like Eruption or For The Love Of God. It pissed me off when i saw that kirk was 11 in rolling stone magazine's list and EVH was at 73 and that vai and satch weren't there.
Bohm

Rolling stone = crap paper :twisted:
Arpeggio

Rolling Stone certainly sucks, guitar-wise at least.

However, don't assume Kirk can or can't do something because he doesn't do it.

Kirk is in a unique position (in terms of Satch, Vai, and Yngwie etc...) of needing to meet an equal-member band of musicians.

This is why for the longest time I have wanted to hear Kirk do some substantial album of solo work. To see what he CAN do.
Bohm

Arpeggio wrote:
This is why for the longest time I have wanted to hear Kirk do some substantial album of solo work. To see what he CAN do.
Yeah you really want to see what an guitarist wich is very good in a band can do do if he composes the music all by himself.

Another guy I would want up for grabs is Tom Morello.
You know, just to see what he really goes for.
Arpeggio

Bohm wrote:
Arpeggio wrote:
Yeah you really want to see what an guitarist wich is very good in a band can do do if he composes the music all by himself.

Another guy I would want up for grabs is Tom Morello.
You know, just to see what he really goes for.
Yeah, Tom would be interesting. I could certainly see him making a very atmospheric solo album, and it would be unique because many sounds would not sound like the guitar.
weberd6BGXSU
Newcomer

[quote="guitar_love"][quote]Vai is an amazing guitarist, my favorite, probably one of the best ever, and although Kirk Hamett maybe good as well and so what if they both have the same teacher. But the only real way to compare Kirk and Steve is by their band playing, unless Kirk starts releasing solo albums, I dont see how there can even be an arguement. personally, i think if it came down to it, Vai is alot better than Hamet. But you'd really have to compare Vai (of the Zappa, DLR, White Snake days) to Kirk hamett now. Band playing and solo playing are to completley different types. Take Eddie Van Halen for example: Yes, they sound the same because its the same person playing the same guitar, but they are two different types of playing, same style however. When Eddie Van Halen(with the few solo songs he's released) does solo music, its different from him playing a song with band.

The problem with this quote is that Zappa wrote the music and put it in front of Steve. Anything you hear from Vai while he was part of Zappa's band was not written by Vai himeslf (except possibly a few solos).
Hammet and Steve are both equal in my book. :D