Naked Tracks Live!!

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Svelt Pen

Ekim wrote:
Mikey wrote:Excellent - can you see the Fire Garden tracks yet?

More cool news is coming about Naked Tracks... soooon...

(Yes, my guard is down because I'm buzzed from Tony Mac's birthday drinks...) Happy birthday T-Mac!

Mikey :)
vai.com
I thought YOU were Tony MacAlpine?!?
Seriously?
Desert_Runner

I'm not sure you got the reference.
phos-phoros
Newcomer

Any word on a release date for the CDs yet?
LoveBlood

phos-phoros wrote:Any word on a release date for the CDs yet?
Around 3 weeks time
bcgvh

[quote="Mikey"][quote="bcgvh"]I'm really not that excited about this. I'd rather just have the backing track to the full song by itself rather than just the main parts repeating for 10 minutes. I have my own loops to jam to. Plus, almost all of these songs have been available before with the Naked Vamps tab books. Really nothing new to get excited about IMO.[/quote]
I see you logged on a whopping 14 months ago to express how much the Naked Vamps that came with the transcription books "sucked".

You clearly don't know what the Naked Tracks set contains... so by all means, be underwhelmed, but don't base your opinions on assumption.

Mikey
vai.com[/quote]

Seriously man, this is what was written as the description to the Naked Tracks in the news section: “Playing to these naked tracks, [b]or creating loops of various sections, to endlessly meander over[/b], is a phenomenal way to discover unique musical ideas from within yourself."
That sounds EXACTLY like the Naked Vamps tracks, with the main rhythm sections looping over and over. But if I'm wrong, why don't you fill me in...hmmm?
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

You create those looped sections yourself, dude.

I guess you must have stopped reading at that point. Further down it says:
For the most part, the tracks in this series are presented in their original form with the lead guitar removed. In some cases, I looped some solo sections to give you an opportunity to stretch out.

I suggest you import these files into a sequencer program of sorts, such as ProTools, GarageBand, etc. and create loops of various parts of the songs to jam over. On many tracks, a hit or count-off was added to the intro to indicate where the song starts. On some tracks, a small portion of the original melody guitar may have been tacked onto the intro as a guide.
And lastly, only some of the original Naked Vamps were looped over and over, not all of them.

Mikey
vai.com
EirikHH

awesome! I've been waiting for something like this! I have some of the backingtracks already(made by other ppl), but having these originals must be SO much better! And I really love to be able to pick-n-choose from the ones I want at amazon. Great stuff!

ps. can someone urge mr.Satriani to do the same thing ? Or john petrucci ? paul gilbert ? Every known and respected guitarplayer should realease their naked tracks.
Axemadman

I think this is a great idea from the standpoint that very few people listen to what's going on below the lead line. This is often the best part and will be a joy to listen to.

The lead line is only a small percentage of the song and its a shame that the rhythm guitars, bass, drums and keyboard are only heard subliminally by some people. I'm sure Steve pays as much time if not more to get this foundation correct and its nice to hear them in this format.

Its also cool to jam over BTW!!
PSD

Not being a guitar player, I actually enjoy these new releases purely from a musical standpoint. "Still My Bleeding Heart" is a vamp and not the full backing track but it allows you to focus on that killer Bozzio fill that alternates between snare and bass/toms. Plus its a nice to hear Terry just groove.

Only disappointment is that Sex & Religion is under represented. I would love to hear the backing track to "Survive" and "In My Dreams With You", not to mention the hours of extra material Steve has stored from the Bozzio/T. M. Stevens sessions (just thought I'd throw that in there as I remind Steve of this whenever I have the opportuntiy to speak with him).
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

PSD wrote:Not being a guitar player, I actually enjoy these new releases purely from a musical standpoint. "Still My Bleeding Heart" is a vamp and not the full backing track but it allows you to focus on that killer Bozzio fill that alternates between snare and bass/toms. Plus its a nice to hear Terry just groove.

Only disappointment is that Sex & Religion is under represented. I would love to hear the backing track to "Survive" and "In My Dreams With You", not to mention the hours of extra material Steve has stored from the Bozzio/T. M. Stevens sessions (just thought I'd throw that in there as I remind Steve of this whenever I have the opportuntiy to speak with him).
I think "hours of unreleased material" might be a bit of a stretch.

There were only a small handful of songs recorded during those sessions that didn't make it to the album.

vai.com
PSD

Mikey wrote:
PSD wrote:Not being a guitar player, I actually enjoy these new releases purely from a musical standpoint. "Still My Bleeding Heart" is a vamp and not the full backing track but it allows you to focus on that killer Bozzio fill that alternates between snare and bass/toms. Plus its a nice to hear Terry just groove.

I think "hours of unreleased material" might be a bit of a stretch.

There were only a small handful of songs recorded during those sessions that didn't make it to the album.

vai.com
These were Steve's words, not mine. I'm not talking about fully realized songs, but a few hours of jams - fusiony stuff that was described as the Light Without Heat trio going to Mars.
Ekim

Man, I'm quite disappointed. Unless I overlooked something in the listings, all of the Naked tracks are without lead guitar.

Where's the love for us drummers and wanna-be bass players?
GYiakoumi

well sure but if you remove everything you won't have anything but a metronome :)
Ekim

I meant two more versions of the Naked Tracks.

One with just the drums removed, the other with just the bass removed.

Dave Weckl's band did four or five versions of the "Band Minus One" concept. One book/CD set each for bass, guitar, drums and keyboards. I don't remember if they did a sax version.

But it's a great way to practice.
null_is_one

Things like this are why Steve is my favorite artist, not just my fave guitar player :)

Guess what i'm trying to say is "THANX!" :)